iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Today's junkyard find.

Started by Kbeitz, January 09, 2017, 03:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Take your bands and lay them flat on a concrete floor.  If you have one that won't lay flat its sprung.  It may or may not coil ok but guaranteed it will never saw right.

That's something to check for if you have a band that's sharp and set right but won't saw.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Larry on March 16, 2018, 03:50:54 PM
Take your bands and lay them flat on a concrete floor.  If you have one that won't lay flat its sprung.  It may or may not coil ok but guaranteed it will never saw right.

That's something to check for if you have a band that's sharp and set right but won't saw.
Thanks for the info... Anyway to spring them back?
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Larry

Not as far as I know but never tried.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Chuck White

I had a couple of sprung bands that a guy dropped off to be sharpened!

They wouldn't even feed around the sharpener correctly, and I couldn't coil them!

When he came to pick them up, I explained to him why those two bands need to be trashed, by laying them on the floor! smiley_thumbsup

So, they went into the recycle bin!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Crusarius

I bet with the proper application of heat and cool you can unspring them. not sure what it will do to the rest of the blade though. may just be creating hard spots that are going to break later.

K, for you I would say its totally worth experimenting.

gww

K
Cooks offers a blade roller service where they flatten the blade by sending it through a roller.  Maby this sounds like another thing that is going to be on your future build list of tools you have to build. :D
Cheers
gww

Kbeitz

Quote from: Chuck White on March 17, 2018, 07:00:01 AM
I had a couple of sprung bands that a guy dropped off to be sharpened!

They wouldn't even feed around the sharpener correctly, and I couldn't coil them!

When he came to pick them up, I explained to him why those two bands need to be trashed, by laying them on the floor! smiley_thumbsup

So, they went into the recycle bin!
So that what I found... Gotta let me know when you do that  :)
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

terrifictimbersllc

KB, you're mentioned in the Bible, favorably, and in red letters, I must add.

He said to them, "Therefore every teacher of the law who has become a disciple in the kingdom of heaven is like the owner of a house who brings out of his storeroom new treasures as well as old."  

:P  :D :D :D

Matthew 13:52
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Kbeitz

Matthew 13:52

Honest hard work- this is something God seeks from all of us. God's words tell us that working hard, but with faith in mind, can lead to the great things he has planned for us. Do the best you can do everyday.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Chuck White

Quote from: Crusarius on March 17, 2018, 08:35:26 AM
I bet with the proper application of heat and cool you can unspring them. not sure what it will do to the rest of the blade though. may just be creating hard spots that are going to break later.

K, for you I would say its totally worth experimenting.
For the cost of a band blade, I wouldn't even think about trying to repair one!
The cost in effort and time wouldn't be worth it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Crusarius

That would be true for some but K always seems to find the time. He usually has good results. I like reading about his crazy endeavors :) It's not my fault I like to fuel the fire :)

sandhills

Quote from: Crusarius on March 18, 2018, 09:52:23 AM
That would be true for some but K always seems to find the time. He usually has good results. I like reading about his crazy endeavors :) It's not my fault I like to fuel the fire :)
I agree completely, in highschool I was in OM (oddessy of the mind, apparently too much I didn't learn how to spell), we were the first team to make it to world finals and got 6th place.  You'd be amazed what you can do with mouse traps, pvc, old motorcycle starters and such, think I learned more there than any class I ever had  :D.   

Kbeitz

I don't even think about the time... I just think it's fun to do stuff that people say can't be done.
I have a ton of friends that don't own much because they say they don't have time to full with junk like I do, It's like a hobby to me. I enjoy what I do. You gotta do something with your time. Work hard to buy new blades or play with old ones to make them work. We are all different. I'm an odd ball.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

starmac

Yea Yea, we know you are just biding your time waiting on one of those new fangled cbn sharpeners to hit the junkyard.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Iwawoodwork

Kbeitz, I think you are right on. I also enjoy recycling or repurposing old junk-stuff. my thought is that I may not have shiny new but I probably have a lot more satisfaction when the project is accomplished, as I perceive you do, so lets see a band blade straightener.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Iwawoodwork on March 18, 2018, 08:35:45 PM
Kbeitz, I think you are right on. I also enjoy recycling or repurposing old junk-stuff. my thought is that I may not have shiny new but I probably have a lot more satisfaction when the project is accomplished, as I perceive you do, so lets see a band blade straightener.
Old school...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Al_Smith

Quote from: Kbeitz on March 18, 2018, 08:11:59 PM
 We are all different. I'm an odd ball.
Don't feel so all alone,I'm a charter member of that club also  ;)

Kbeitz

I got 50 lbs of gas line DC welding rods, 5 Square 20 amp beakers, a 2" receiver ball and 20 romex box connectors today. Not bad.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WV Sawmiller

Kbeitz,

Do you have a big department style store with various departments for plumbing, electrical, tools, carpentry, lawn & garden, etc. with a bunch of bins where you put all this stuff on display for sale? If you do when I can find an excuse to come shopping I'm going to route us that way and come check it all out.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

osage outlaw

So does it have to be something from a junk yard to post here or can it be some rusty treasures found at an estate sale, auction, etc?

Kbeitz

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 19, 2018, 04:09:09 PM
Kbeitz,

Do you have a big department style store with various departments for plumbing, electrical, tools, carpentry, lawn & garden, etc. with a bunch of bins where you put all this stuff on display for sale? If you do when I can find an excuse to come shopping I'm going to route us that way and come check it all out.
Not much is for sale. I put everything away in bins and racks for my building stock. I could never build all the things I do if I had to buy all this stuff. Every time I see something new I say now what can I build out of that. Everythings got it's place or I would never be able to find it again. 
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Quote from: osage outlaw on March 19, 2018, 08:47:16 PM
So does it have to be something from a junk yard to post here or can it be some rusty treasures found at an estate sale, auction, etc?
I not the boss. But if it's it's up to me anything goes....
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Kbeitz on March 19, 2018, 08:48:47 PMEverything's got it's place or I would never be able to find it again.

That's an understatement.  I take stuff apart before I toss the bad stuff and save the nut, bolts, springs, etc.  I drop them in a PB jar and put it on the shelf.  Well, I spent 3 days dumping them out, one at a time, sorting, sorting, sorting.  I have about 250 separate containers with 10 to 100's of items in them.  I got tired of trying to find something I KNEW I had, somewhere...
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

thecfarm

I got tired of trying to find something I KNEW I had, somewhere...
Have you been to my place? :D
But I have started to sort my nuts,bolts and washers. All by sizes too. Lock washers,flat washers too. All the springs,hooks,and all that other stuff is put in one bucket for now. Now all the bolts need to be sorted by length. If I am not careful I will be able to pull a draw out and have the right bolt in my sights. :o  I have a bunch of flat magnets. Just about the size of those labels you buy on a sheet. I can write what is in a draw and put the magnet on the draw. That would be great. I have 5 gallon buckets of bolts,nuts and washers. I don't want to say 25 gallons,but I think I am right. Might even be on the low side.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Darrel

My wife went with me out to my shop on Friday and helped me sort a small portion of the stuff we took out of her dad's barn. We've been saving peanut butter jars and the like for some time now. This is the first chance we've had to get this stuff put away and there is a whole lot more to go. I've got everything from rusty nuts & bolts to motors, gear boxes and old circle sawmill parts.  And I'm collecting more. Craigslist free stuff sometimes has treasures you wouldn't believe, I always check it. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Thank You Sponsors!