iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Possible species of Cedar?. From Argentina.

Started by Marche932, March 30, 2019, 10:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marche932

Hola amigos del foro forestal;
Intento de identificar esta especie de madera. No estoy seguro de lo que es.
Puede ser un tipo de cedro, debido al olor de la madera. Aunque no estoy 100% seguro de cómo es el olor del cedro. Aquí no es común encontrar este tipo de árboles.
Lo que obtienes de una casa antigua, que está demoliendo para nuevos edificios.
De este árbol rescató unos 40 pies de tronco.
Os dejo algunas imágenes.
¡Espero que puedas ayudarme!
¡Saludos a todos!

I have a home-made sawmill!

Woodpecker52

Lord so now its time to download the babble app and learn the new language of America.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Woodpecker52

Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Marche932

Hello friends of the forest forum;
I try to identify this species of wood. I'm not sure what it is.
It may be some kind of cedar, because of the smell of wood. Although I'm not 100% sure what the smell of cedar is like. Here it is not common to find this type of trees.
I got it from an old house, which is being demolished for new buildings.
From this tree I rescued about 40 feet of trunk.
I leave some images.
I hope you can help me!
Greetings to all!

This version is better for everyone!

LeeB

No es cedro. Es un typo de pina. No se exactamante qual pina es.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ianab

I think it's a "true" cedar, one of the Cedrus species, but I'm not sure which one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedrus

What the Americans call "cedar" is usually a type of Juniper, hence the confusion. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

LeeB

Could well be Ian. Can't say as I've ever seen a true cedar. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

I also believe it to be in the genus Pinus
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Marche932

Thanks guys for your comments.
I have read the entire Wikipedia report published by Ianab; very good.
I think it can be a kind of true cedar.
The cedar they call in the United States seems to be red cedar.
I looked for many images in the forum about cedar woods.
It seems that the Cedar of the United States is this, according to Wikipedia.

Juniperus virginiana - Wikipedia

I'll upload some photos when I can cut it.
Thank you all!

Ljohnsaw

I'd like to see more pictures of your homemade sawmill!  I see some hydraulic loading arms.  Do you have a log turner on it as well?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Don P

Cool, welcome to the forum Argentina :)

It may be a deodara cedar, cedrus deodara
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedrus_deodara

Not a native there but it will grow in Argentina. We had one for 10 or 15 years, not sure what got it but it declined and died.

Marche932

Thank you Don P; It seems to be the most similar species.
Cedar deodara. 
The wikipedia link includes that species can grow in Argentina.

Quote from: ljohnsaw on March 31, 2019, 06:38:16 PM
I'd like to see more pictures of your homemade sawmill!  I see some hydraulic loading arms.  Do you have a log turner on it as well?

Yes it is. I have hydraulic loader arms. These work with a hydraulic pump, driven by an electric clutch every time I need it.
It also makes the claw work for logs.
I'm going to upload some photos.

Actuator for belt saw clutch.

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!