iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Square chisel vs regular chisel chains

Started by husky2100, August 12, 2014, 09:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

husky2100

What is a better chain for cutting hardwood

Oliver1655

If fairly clean wood I like square chisel, Stihl RSLF. 

If dirty, semi-chisel.
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

bandmiller2

Hands down square chisel if the wood is not muddy. Only problem being you should have a grinder to get it right, few men can file square chisel right. I have a Silvey r-II and it does a good job but I have had poor luck filing. You can convert round ground chisel to square but the tooth looks a little funky for a couple of grinds. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

John Mc

Husky2100 -  To be clear here, are you asking about the performance difference between square-ground chisel vs round-ground chisel chain (both of which have a square outside corner on the chain), or are you asking about Chisel chain (which can be either round or square filed/ground, but has a square outer corner) vs Semi-chisel/micro-chisel (which has a rounded or chamfered outer corner).

BTW... I pass through Holland Patent, NY all the time on my way to my wife's family in Pulaski.  Are you going to the Woodsman's Field Days in Boonville this weekend? I'm hoping to stop in some time Saturday (wish I had a Forestry Forum ball cap or t-shirt to wear).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

husky2100

Yeah I wasn't sure what was I had running on my saw I got a whole bunch of free chains and some were good cutting and some sucked so I didn't know what was better but I'm looking for a ride up to Woodsmans but I don't know when I could get the time off to go until I know when I'm getting a ride up

Thank You Sponsors!