iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What should I do with these

Started by goose63, October 09, 2016, 06:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goose63

Some nice Hackberry should saw them and into what or leave them untill some one want's the lumber from them whiteflag_smiley
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

fishfighter

Don't know. Can you get a picture of the bark? Reason, just want to see if it is the same I have here in the south. Always was a trash tree around here. Not even good for fire wood. :D

goose63

fishfighter up here it's DanG good fire wood I will get a picture of the barck in the morening for ya
goose

ozarkgem

Leaved it lay for a yr and spalt.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Kcwoodbutcher

I let most of my hackberry spalt. It's the only way I make money with it. Those logs are too big to spalt anything but the outer surface and ends. When I work bigger logs for spalting I'll cut it and then dead stack it for several months. This way I can get a more even spalting. You may have to pry the boards apart with a crowbar but it seems to work.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

ozarkgem

Quote from: Kcwoodbutcher on October 09, 2016, 09:15:02 PM
I let most of my hackberry spalt. It's the only way I make money with it. Those logs are too big to spalt anything but the outer surface and ends. When I work bigger logs for spalting I'll cut it and then dead stack it for several months. This way I can get a more even spalting. You may have to pry the boards apart with a crowbar but it seems to work.
What size range do you leave whole to spalt? I got some to cut and plan on leaving them stacked. When you cut them are you sawing them into boards or just spliting the log and restacking them together
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

fishfighter

Quote from: goose63 on October 09, 2016, 06:57:31 PM
fishfighter up here it's DanG good fire wood I will get a picture of the barck in the morening for ya

Heck, as firewood, it doesn't have any BTU's and goes up in a flash. Just a waste of time splitting and stacking. :D I have way to many hardwood trees for firewood. ;D

sandsawmill14

we cut it into rr ties  ;D but far as fire wood ours burns so hot it will melt a stove down if you dont mix it with something and pops worse than hickory but it does burn up quick :) i like it in cold weather though you know when its 20-25 degrees ;D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

ladylake

Up here cold is -20 to -25 or worse.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

sandsawmill14

Quote from: ladylake on October 10, 2016, 07:38:03 AM

:o :o :o my coffee would freeze up there :o :D :D :D

fishfighter

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on October 10, 2016, 07:21:47 AM
we cut it into rr ties  ;D but far as fire wood ours burns so hot it will melt a stove down if you dont mix it with something and pops worse than hickory but it does burn up quick :) i like it in cold weather though you know when its 20-25 degrees ;D

Heck, we might see about 5-7 days of winter at those temps. :D

goose63

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on October 10, 2016, 07:41:41 AM
Quote from: ladylake on October 10, 2016, 07:38:03 AM

:o :o :o my coffee would freeze up there :o :D :D :D

You guys better drink the coffee fast

fishfighter here is a picture of the bark and end grain

It has a red tint in it
goose

LeeB

Doesn't look like the hackberry I'm familiar with.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

sandsawmill14

Quote from: LeeB on October 10, 2016, 01:25:10 PM
Doesn't look like the hackberry I'm familiar with.
x2  i will look and see if we have any on the yard in the morning and if so i get a pic of ours :)

fishfighter

Not the same here. Let me go get a picture.

This is what we call a hackberry.

Leaves

Tom the Sawyer

Around here, most of a hackberry log will be white or a bit yellowish with a small, darker center.  The bark is warty in both hackberry and sugarberry.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

sandsawmill14

Tom that sounds like what im used to seeing the bark is smooth as beech with warts all over :)  some logs are just about covered with warts and just small patches of smooth bark while others are almost completely smooth with just a few warts around the butt end of the log :) the inside looks as you described :)

fishfighter

Yep, that is what we call hackberry as in the pictures I posted.

goose63

Now I'm not sure if this is Hackberry.

But this is

This one has been down for a year

Still standing

and the leave's

What ever the wood is  it's sold I think showed pictures to a wood worker and he love's it
goose

Kcwoodbutcher

Quote from: ozarkgem on October 10, 2016, 06:00:43 AM
Quote from: Kcwoodbutcher on October 09, 2016, 09:15:02 PM
What size range do you leave whole to spalt? I got some to cut and plan on leaving them stacked. When you cut them are you sawing them into boards or just spliting the log and restacking them together

I just slab them at 9/4 then dead stack them  I can edge them or resaw them later as needed.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

5quarter

Hackberry has an irregular heart,  but the sapwood is very white. I quarter saw a lot of it and use it for drawer boxes. If you want the white to remain white, you need to saw it and get it drying fairly quick, otherwise it will grey stain. once that happens, its only good for building things that get painted. The standing tree in your pictures is definitely hackberry. The one on the trailer is something else.

Fishfighter...that doesn't look like the hackberry we have here.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

goose63

This is 1 of the 3 log's that were on the trailer not sure what it is but the wood worker wants it
goose

fishfighter

Quote from: 5quarter on October 11, 2016, 11:36:22 PM
Hackberry has an irregular heart,  but the sapwood is very white. I quarter saw a lot of it and use it for drawer boxes. If you want the white to remain white, you need to saw it and get it drying fairly quick, otherwise it will grey stain. once that happens, its only good for building things that get painted. The standing tree in your pictures is definitely hackberry. The one on the trailer is something else.

Fishfighter...that doesn't look like the hackberry we have here.

Some trees have a lot more warts on them then others. The one in the picture had very few warts. Most of the hackberry trees here grow on fence lines or at the edge of woods.

sandsawmill14

the pic fish posted is  southern  hackberry without question  :) but i dont know how many kinds of hackberry there is ??? could be like red oak and be 50 different kinds  :D :D :D

5quarter

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on October 12, 2016, 07:54:41 AM
the pic fish posted is  southern  hackberry without question  :)
I figured it was something like that...thanks.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!