iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jonsered 930 Super???

Started by ReggieT, September 29, 2015, 11:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReggieT

Hey Guys,
Quick question...Would you be a prospect on decent Jonsered 930 Super for $225 if everything was operational and or would you do a trade in of your MS390 for about $100 difference for the same Jonsered 930 Super? ???

Thanks,
Reg

Spike60

Well I would, cause the 930 Super is one of my favorite saws.  :) 

As for the MS390, I'd think that should be worth more than the $100 he's allowing you on the trade unless it's pretty beat. And if it's your only other saw, you might want to keep it as a lighter, smaller saw.

930's make real nice power. Only thing you need to know is that parts are scarce for that family of saws.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

ReggieT

Thanks Spike60...that's what I'm gathering especially the AV mounts :-\...although I heard the other 900 series AV mounts are interchangeable.

weimedog

I wish I HAD a 930 Super! Really enjoy my 920's tweaked to 930 specs. They run really strong.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

rburg

One of the more enjoyable saws I have run at a gtg was a 930 super. I believe it is as strong as any saws I have run in the 80-90 cc class.

Real1shepherd

Quote from: ReggieT on September 30, 2015, 03:20:24 PM
Thanks Spike60...that's what I'm gathering especially the AV mounts :-\...although I heard the other 900 series AV mounts are interchangeable.

You have to have all three saws together to see the various iterations;910/920/930. The rear handle versions of the 910/920 are inherently weak, yet the wrap changes on the 920 from the Partner influence. The 910 being a solely J'red design....understand that even though Electrolux Group AB owned J'red since about '78, they let the 910 continue production unchanged from its original design....thus being one of the last 'true' J'reds produced. Then when we get to the 930 it's more Partner/Husky influenced than anything else(except for the paint...lol).

Spike60 has an excellent vid on youtube about the 900 Series....well worth the watch if you are interested in or like this family of saws. There were also some 910 prototype saws made @100cc...rumor has it that they are still going today, somewhere over in Europe. The Electrolux buyout immediately killed production of those saws.

I've talked to loggers here in the PNW that had all three models. IOW, they bought each model in the series as they came out, ditching the model before or making that their back-up saw. Most say they favored the 910 overall, in spite of its inherent weaknesses. I ran a 910 on a show I was working, for a day....other than weight, it didn't out perform my 80 overall. Didn't therefore cause me to race down and buy one...lol I have a 910 apart in my shop waiting to be put back together with good parts. I can't wait to pit it against the 80/90's I have.

Kevin

HolmenTree

I logged with both 910 and 920 from brand new and the 920 was a disappointment being quite a bit heavier and bulky then the 910.
Yes the 910 had light rubber handle mounts but they did the job. You just couldn't  pull on then with all your might if you got the saw pinched.
Sure the 80 or 90 could cut with it but the 910 power to weight ratio was almost as good as the much newer early series Stihl 064.
The 910E was a head of its time , too bad the 100cc model wasn't introduced.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

HolmenTree

Real1shepherd

Yeah, the guys I talked to said if you pinched your bar and yanked hard, you'd rip the AV's on the handle. Most J'red dealers back east stocked the AV's and were waiting for you when you asked for them...lol. Very few dealers this way other than Scotsco in Portland. When I logged outa Montrose, CO, there was a nice J'red dealer there....that's how I got acquainted with J'reds. That guy in the pic was 'Denny'...and even when they were advertising the 920, he still had the 910 in his hands.

You'd think in a yrs time the loggers in the PNW would have told the J'red engineers that the rear handle mount system sucked and they did something else before production. A lot had to do with the buy-out though and Electrolux.

You have a thing called 'muscle memory'....when you're used to heavier saws working all day, a lighter saw feels weird at first...like a toy. But OTOH, I can still pick up a Husky 2100 and work with it all day in decent timber...doesn't bother me.

With a decent AV system, the 910 100cc saw would have been very much a winner and lighter than anything I was used to that size. Yeah, I grieve it and I never saw one...lol 

Kevin

HolmenTree

The 920 etc went the Partner handle route, which like I said bulked them up and added weight.
That Partner AV handle design originated way back in 1968 on the R17.

Speaking of the silver inserts on the old Jonsereds sprocket cover....
It originated on the 1960 Jonsereds 110cc XF which was red with a silver top. The saw was discontinued in 1969.

Real1shepherd

Quote from: HolmenTree on October 03, 2015, 06:18:29 PM
The 920 etc went the Partner handle route, which like I said bulked them up and added weight.
That Partner AV handle design originated way back in 1968 on the R17.

Speaking of the silver inserts on the old Jonsereds sprocket cover....
It originated on the 1960 Jonsereds 110cc XF which was red with a silver top. The saw was discontinued in 1969.

I can't remember the model numbers, but J'red had those 'fake' silver tops that they re-issued on junk saws. I think the tops were plastic.

1960...that's a long time ago....I didn't even hold a chainsaw until '69!

The modern production J'red that was issued with 100cc was nothing more than a painted Partner. 1020 I think it was...I know nothing about Partner saws.

Kevin

HolmenTree

Quote from: Cut4fun on October 03, 2015, 08:59:51 PM
Quote from: HolmenTree on October 03, 2015, 06:18:29 PM
discontinued in 1969.

Willard I wont be back. This is the only site that has removed the chain build off info out of 10. Even AS allowed it. Guess they dont want their members trying to file chains for fun during winter.

Thats how bad this has gotten here I guess.  :snowball:
Sorry to hear that Kevin, I was wondering where your new thread went to. :o
A poster has to be careful with the language used here on F.Forum, it's not tolerated and for good reason. Many member's families here read this site and may be young children being this is a family site.
My young pre teen daughters sometimes read my website postings......main reason why I stay away from the  Masterblaster Tree House site. :D

SawTroll

Quote from: Real1shepherd on October 03, 2015, 05:47:14 PM

With a decent AV system, the 910 100cc saw would have been very much a winner and lighter than anything I was used to that size. Yeah, I grieve it and I never saw one...lol 

Kevin

As far as I know they worked on such a saw, but it was stopped by Electrolux/Husky - and the P100 Super painted red instead.
There were issues with the rear handle design of the 910, and it was soon replaced by the Partner influenced 920.

Remember that it was Partner that made all Swedish made Jonsereds from 1979, until the Husky factory took over production (started 1982, and completed in 1987).
Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: Real1shepherd on October 04, 2015, 09:52:28 AM......

I can't remember the model numbers, but J'red had those 'fake' silver tops that they re-issued on junk saws. I think the tops were plastic.

The fake silvertops I remember are the "classic" versions of the 535 and 2054.
Information collector.

HolmenTree

Quote from: SawTroll on October 04, 2015, 01:49:01 PM

Kevin

As far as I know they worked on such a saw, but it was stopped by Electrolux/Husky - and the P100 Super painted red instead.
There were issues with the rear handle design of the 910, and it was soon replaced by the Partner influenced 920.

Remember that it was Partner that made all Swedish made Jonsereds from 1979, until the Husky factory took over production (started 1982, and completed in 1987.
The P100 and 910E were both introduced in 1979 and I believe the breaker point ignition 910 was out a bit earlier but I  believe it never left Sweden.
The Jonsereds Partille factory was still producing true Jonsereds into 1980 as far as my information tells me. The 910 and 920 which look very similar besides the Partner handle system we're 2 totally different designed saws. Funny how the 910 had a decompression button and the newer 920 didn't.

Real1shepherd

Quote from: HolmenTree on October 04, 2015, 02:34:14 PM
Quote from: SawTroll on October 04, 2015, 01:49:01 PM

Kevin

Remember that it was Partner that made all Swedish made Jonsereds from 1979, until the Husky factory took over production (started 1982, and completed in 1987.
The P100 and 910E were both introduced in 1979 and I believe the breaker point ignition 910 was out a bit earlier but I  believe it never left Sweden.
The Jonsereds Partille factory was still producing true Jonsereds into 1980 as far as my information tells me. The 910 and 920 which look very similar besides the Partner handle system we're 2 totally different designed saws. Funny how the 910 had a decompression button and the newer 920 didn't.

This is more inline with what I know. Even though the 910E was relocated and produced on the Partner assembly line(at least by '80), it was fully J'red till the end of its production run.  The 920 had the obvious Partner influence.

And my information says there were some prototype 100cc 910's released in Europe for study and feedback. How many I'm not sure, but at least one was sighted recently over there and still working. Yeah, you'll never see a 910 with points over here in NA, unless someone brought one back from Europe.

That is weird about the decomp....I can only assume it was omitted for cost saving advantages. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the rear handle AV mount system on the 910/920 were the same, but the wrap was completely a Partner design on the 920.

Kevin 

HolmenTree

The 920 rear handle from what I remember was all metal painted black. The 910 rear handle and top cover was not metal but the same high tech composite materiel used as the skin on the wings of a F 15 fighter jet.

Real1shepherd

I could have sworn that in Spike60's guide to the 900 series on youtube, he turned the 920 on its side and it had the same bottom AV's in the rear handle as the 910?

I bought a 910 sometime back...it's in pieces. The composite handle was badly warped and i was wondering what to do about it. Then someone parted out a 910 on the bay that had very little wear on anything. I bought all of the lots. The rear handle looks like new....so problem solved. Then there was this guy from Canada that was trying to sell a 910 refurbished with all NOS parts except for the crank.....at an insane price. The saws aren't there yet, like the 111S. Later on he was selling NOS 910 lot parts. I made an offer on a NOS P&C and he took it....I was surprised!

Later, I picked up another 910 "as is", non-running. Geez....you'd think this was my favorite saw or something...lol. But I had the painful lesson of not buying Husky 2100 parts when they were going for nothing and now they're at stratospheric prices. 

Kevin

HolmenTree

A few years ago I missed out on an auction that was selling off all the old and new inventory of a deceased Jonsereds dealer.
Truckloads of new OEM parts mostly from the 1970s /80's  were going out the door for chicken scratch change. Then I heard most of it went to the land fill, that's how my Jonsereds 70E was found by a buddy of mine.
Rolls of chain and cases of bar's were bought the highest  bidder for a thousand bucks.
I found this out through my buddy who found the 70E, I guess he felt guilty  that he didn't tell me about the auction.
Some buddy he is , Ha.

Real1shepherd

Gawd....when I hear stories like that, it makes my stomach hurt. And I've heard a lot of them....although there usually is some dude that hauls everything away in a pickup for $50. Even those factory J'red parts boxes are now bringing $90+ ea on ebay. I've never really sorted out if it's just scroungers that get into these deals, or it's just being at the right place at the right time etc. In any event, it's always escaped me.

Definitely were a lot of J'red dealers that went out of business because they couldn't offer the parts & service they used to. I bought parts on ebay from those very circumstances...but I had to pay big for them.

Kevin

HolmenTree

That same dealership I told the story about had a shed in behind his store about 10 years ago when he was still alive. I had a chance to go through it with him as I was looking for a part.
There was brand new  Husqvarna and Sachs Dolmar parts from the 1970s/80's scattered all over the floor .Complete crankcases,  p/c's. Shelves of chain.
I didn't find my part but for $100 I walked out of there with a 100 ft roll of Oregon .404 chisel bit 50AL (.050)  chain someone ordered for chainsaw racing about 30 years earlier  but never picked it up....and a few rolls of old Oregon 3/8 chipper chain.
He had shelves of every round file and raker files imaginable. He only threw in a few boxes of files but wanted to keep an inventory for his customers. That all went for small change at the auction after he died.

Mopar70

My ms390 has served me well.
Not a big fan of the factory sing pawl recoil but they are easy to change to a double pawl.
Parts are all over the place for these.
If I was in your shoes and needed a larger saw i would anti up the extra $100 and buy it outright.
I'm shure there are some folks on here that could help you out if you needed parts.

Thank You Sponsors!