iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help w/ Stihl MS290 disassembly (fuel line issue)

Started by TurboLS, October 20, 2015, 08:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurboLS

So i have a fuel leak and am pretty sure it is the suction hose.  I am in the process of disassembling the saw and am having issues "prying the annular buffer" off of the handle housing.  I have the full manual downloaded and printed out, but do NOT want to destroy the bushing.  If you have the manual, go to page 55 and you'll know what I'm talking about.  That sucker will NOT move with the flathead...  It will deform and then spring back into it's normal position.  Thoughts?  Experiences with this?  I really don't want to pay the shop to fix it since I've gotten it this far... 

ZeroJunk

You don't need to take it apart to replace that fuel line. Take the carb off to get it out of the way. Put the line in from the top. Take a hook pick or piece of wire and get the end of the line in your fingers. Take your index finger  in the tank as far as you can and pull straight down on the line as you can while working it down around the edges from the top with a flat screw driver.

Not the easiest thing since you have a small window, but it is easier than taking the handle off.

deerslayer

Agree that the saw doesn't need to be taken apart to change the line. That said, regarding the buffer, most of them have a T-27 headed screw inside that has to be removed. (not every buffer has a screw but many do)
Take the plastic cap out and shine a light down in the bottom to see if there's a screw head...
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

ZeroJunk

Yeah, the only buffer that needs to come out is the one at the front right side of the top cover. The rest are held by screws and when you take the screws out the buffers stay in place.

joe_indi

Quote from: ZeroJunk on October 21, 2015, 10:58:47 PM
Yeah, the only buffer that needs to come out is the one at the front right side of the top cover. .....
All the other buffers are mounted on the handle bar. Once their screws are removed the handle can be slidoff with the buffers in place. Buffers are prised off only for replacement.

Thank You Sponsors!