iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cold weather starting

Started by concretecutter, January 03, 2016, 05:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

concretecutter

Does anybody connect there heater hoses from there pickup to the equipment and let it run for 10-15 minutes sure worked good today when I got everything to do it fired right off

red

I was told getting hot air into the air intake was a good idea. Too
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

ehp

Use to use that setup a lot when I had the 450 jack with the 4-53 in it , Most guys used them up north. The only thing you need to watch is when you hook the machine up to the pickup let it idle , donot rev the pickup motor up until you feel abit of heat coming on the return hose back to the pickup, Seen a lot of guys rev the pickup up as soon as its hooked up and crack the head on the pickup motor with the ice cold water hits it coming from the machine your heating

concretecutter

Ken

Used to do it years ago.  We had a valve on the line so we could control the amount of coolant being transferred.   I'm pretty sure someone will chime in to say that you should not do this with newer trucks.  I think a small generator with a block heater, good batteries with clean connections is a much better option. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Brleclaire

Use to use them all the time now are new machines have the diesel fired coolant heaters. When we get there in the morning the engines are warm and they also warm the hydralic oil. Won't have another machine without one.

concretecutter

I put valves and quick disconnects I have two brand new battery's wires starter etc but still older diesel won't start of its 20 degrees or colder with out either just thought I would put it out there so others can enjoy the setup I know a lot of people use it

62oliver

I have those quick connect hoses on my 4-53 in a TJ 240, was not planning on using them tho.  I think I will put in a block heater or a circulating heater as hoses are there already. Will use generator to power. Any opinions as to which works better?
Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

Gearbox

We used to use them all the time . Only thing to watch is the coolant leval in both units . If one is low it will take  coolant out of your truck .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Plankton

I have been wanting to get this together for starting my 353. What length hoses did you have made concrete cutter?

I have been having good luck so far with shooting a propane torch into the air intake and heating up the air, usually starts on the first try down to 15 or so with no ether.

Another method I have heard of but never tried is piping the exhaust from your truck under the engine and heating the oil without burning the skidder down like a fire could.

Woodhauler

Quote from: Plankton on January 03, 2016, 07:28:24 PM
I have been wanting to get this together for starting my 353. What length hoses did you have made concrete cutter?

I have been having good luck so far with shooting a propane torch into the air intake and heating up the air, usually starts on the first try down to 15 or so with no ether.

Another method I have heard of but never tried is piping the exhaust from your truck under the engine and heating the oil without burning the skidder down like a fire could.
The exhaust method is used a lot, and also a block heater run off a genni! Get  there a hour or so before work and let it run! Starts right up.Back in the day my dads old 1964 timberjack had a propane heater built into it! Hook up a 100 pound tank and light it before you went home. Never could figure out why it never burned.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Plankton

A friend of a friend used to start his skidder by lighting brush under neath it like any good ol time vermonter would. One below zero morning he lit the fire and drove to town to get coffee at the local diner. Came back to a burnt skidder.

starmac

Our local mills logging crew has them on all their equipment, they waste enough time getting everything fired up to pay for webasto heaters every week, there cutoff point is 25 below to fire up.
One other logger I haul for keeps a genset running all night, so his stuff cranks up when he gets there, but is thinking of going the webasto route.
Another logger I haul for has a propane setup, he doesn't leave it hooked up at night, but it takes an hour or so to warm it on cool mornings, on cold mornings I equate it with using a bic lighter, and we have to hook a hose on his pickup exhaust to to warm the propane bottle to kep it burning. lol
The only high production crew around these parts have webastos with 7 day timers on all their equipment, everything is warm when they show up in the mornings.
I just installed one on my log truck incase I have to leave it outside overnight. I was unlucky enough to get to test it out just a couple of days later, now am thinking about putting one on my other truck and even pickup.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

concretecutter

I went to l&m supply and got everything bought 2 6' heater hoses 5/8" there a bit short I think 8' would be better two valves 4 quick connects two tees and some other fittings 14 hose clamps

concretecutter

I thought about a generator and block heater but I wanted something I always have and not have to worry about gas or getting generator started or waiting an hour

chevytaHOE5674

If you want to be able to work all winter long without having to guess if your equipment will start or not then a Webasto/Pro heat/Espar is money well spent. For not much investment you can show up everyday to a machine that is warmed up and ready to go to work as soon as you step out of your pickup.

Jhenderson

I've used quick connects off my pickup for 25 years. No valves. 2, 12 ft  5/8 hoses. Hook up and by the time I sharpen my saw and drink a cup of coffee my machine starts like summer time. The only trick is a clean cooling system on the machine using the exact same coolant as your truck. Never a problem with truck or machine. Don't over think things.

BargeMonkey

I've been doing the genset- block heater when necessary. Always wondered about the spit-swappers set up, when I bought this 460 the guy gave me the whole set up for it. So nothing huge to worry about ? Rarely see them down here, my Timbco came out of the U.P and had them, and 3 other machines have them.

1270d

We had quick couplers on the first processor.  It took about 30-40 minutes total for startup time, this includes trading coolant to warm the engine, and allowing the engine to run for a few minutes before operating.   With the preheaters, it is 5-10 minutes.   

BargeMonkey

My mechanic priced the heater for me.   :o. You guys are pounding it every day, I've put 800 hrs on my buncher in 4yrs.   ;)   planning on yanking my 440D engine for a clutch soon, I think she may get swappers to. Got 11,800 on the original clutch, got 11,700 out of the original starter. So other than clean coolant anything else to watch for ? Do you guys have a filter hooked up in your system ?

ehp

I never had filters on any of mine , I know my 4-53 would start in 30 plus below with no problems using the hook ups , once you unhooked them and the water from the skidders rad started getting to its motor it would start rolling big time  ;D, I just had quick couplers and everyone I seen here had the same and its pretty much like this, if your pickup starts and gets you to work there is no reason your skidder or machines will not start

concretecutter

I don't but I did have that thought interested in others setups

FFLM

I have a 2 or 2.5 K Kats circulating heater on my 208 Jack w/ 353.  1/2 an hour if it is cold -10 to 10 above and she fires up nice. Below -10 it can take 45 minutes to fire up, I thought about the spit swappers but decided on this and am very happy with the decision.
208 Jack, 372's and F450 Stroker

Gary_C

I know that many loggers do this split swapping but it can be very hard on your pickup engine because of the cold shock of the cold antifreeze hitting a warm engine components. If you have a newer pickup, it will void your engine warranty if the dealer sees those connections. It's especially hard on engines with aluminum parts.

So be aware of the downside.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

concretecutter

Pictures of my setup so others can see   

Thank You Sponsors!