iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

looking for a chain jack

Started by shawn55, January 11, 2015, 10:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawn55

Does anyone know where I can buy a reasonable priced chain jack for tightening skidder chains

RunningRoot

Comstock has them I'm sure...
Or TCR
A log in the hands worth two in the bush !

rick f

664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

loggah

The best ones are the ones made from a "HANDYMAN"jack,ive had 3 different kinds and the handyman will really pull the chains tight .
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

thumper

i made mine from a used hi lift jack 35$ cut the rail in half .  i traced my friends ears (tongs) and had local shop plasma cut some out 25$. welded on the ears. this type works so well it will tighten too tite if not careful.  also trac-jack for like a forwarder are ok too.
Jonsered 2150 2152 2156 2165  Husqvarna 262xps Worn 1970 JD440a 06 GMC 3500 DURAMAX

tj240

comstock logging supply, will ship iy right to you
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

bill m

I made my own out of square tubing and a piece of treaded rod.

NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Ford_man

Last night I put the chains on my tractor never had a chain tightner. my grandson suggested that I use a small ratchet strap. It worked really good. the chains are a lot more tight than ever before.

4x4American

I use a heavy doody ratchet strap, works well.
Boy, back in my day..

mjeselskis

I have to ask, What is the advantage of running the chains super tight? Less wear?
2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

HiTech

Quote from: mjeselskis on February 02, 2015, 02:24:43 PM
I have to ask, What is the advantage of running the chains super tight? Less wear?
Some say chains wear less when tight. Others have tires with very little tread and when the chains are loose in cold weather and snow the tire could spin inside the chains. I have had them tight and they seem to wear as much as the lose ones so I really can't tell you for sure. I like to keep them snug but some want them Caterpillar Tight. lol I bought my chain tightener from Tire Chains.com It works that is all I care about and it was delivered to my door. lol

beenthere

I don't use any tool, just tighten by hand. The "latch" on the outside is a tightener-type and works fine.
But then, they are just ladder chains. Been on and off several times already this winter.
An old pic... these are chains that I made to fit these tires.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ford_man

The chains that I have are the ones that my dad bought 60+ years ago. He had them on a Farmall F-20 with 9.00x36 tires. My tractor has 13.00x36tires so they don't come down the sides as far and if they are loose they come off. those chains were used on military trucks with tandem axles, they were put over the 2 wheels and it made them a half track, that is what I was told. they are a ladder style chain.

Thank You Sponsors!