iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawg Dawg

Looking good there BS. I finally got back in the woods so pine boards and a ditch bank oak will be sawn soon :D

Also just put a 36" bar on my 394...ready to drop some bigguns! ;D
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Magicman

That "ditch bank" Water Oak will be punky inside.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: SlowJoeCrow on July 19, 2018, 10:42:06 AM
Speaking of dipsticks......

Did someone call the Goat?  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Whatcha Planin'?

I got a nice overcup oak log via a Forester contact that was harvesting some logs from a 40 acre island in a large river in SE Georgia.  Overcup is one of the bottomland white oaks. I slabbed some of it and RRRQS'd (Robert's Reverse Roll Quartersaw) some of it.  My Forester friend said that he thought it was "pecky".  Well, it turned out to have quite a bit of oak borer damage.  This beetle mines pinky finger sizer tunnels in oaks.  Turned out to create some very interesting character to these boards.  Ray fleck and the borer tunnels.  Very rustic effect.  I love it.

Here is the log.

It was about 20" on the small end and 18' long.  Here is a pic of some of the boards with the "pecky" oak borer tunnels.

It is hard to see the ray fleck in the pic, butt the boards are very well flecked.  Can't wait to get the 9/4 slabs dry.  I have a ton of ideas about what could be done with these boards :).

I also planned some nice wide RRRQS'd regular white oak, white oak.  Very nice figure.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

Nice looking lumber, it reminds me a lot of the reclaimed beams I have sawn, but they don't have fleck like that, folks pay stupid money for that look now, $15 -$17 / bft...
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Lawg Dawg

Wow! Thats nice WDH! Gotta love q sawn white oak, the pecky really sets it off  :)
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

PA_Walnut

Got a nice 45" sycamore sawed-up via RRRQS. Was an epic battle, from ripping it in two with chainsaw (you can see that I prepped), to getting it rolled to the proper spot on the mill (check out the clamp pic), to finally getting 16-18" boards dragged off the mll to the edger.
We finally prevailed for a nice stickered pile of beautiful quartersawn sycamore.

The beast logs.

The proper tools to begin the tasks ahead. You can see the larger of the two behind this one. (No whiskey was to be consumed until the boards were on sticks.  In retrospect, should have begun sooner  ;D :D)

The clamp cylinder bent and came off the half moon/puck, making it a real treat to move and clamp, since the cylinder would no longer go up and down.  :-X

Some really nice material.

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

WDH

The most beautiful North American wood in my opinion. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

Nice wood.  I've also dismounted the clamp ram to the hydraulic cyclinder once or twice on very big logs that jammed. 

If you release the bolts on the hydraulics then you can reset the clamp and arm, I've never actually bent anything, it all came back once the pressure and misfit was resolved.  Hopefully yours isn't bent.   

There are some techniques to avoid that in the future if that's what happened.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

caveman

The quartersawn sycamore is very attractive.  

Danny, I hope you were not moving those slabs solo - they must be some kind of heavy, even lifting just one end at a time.

John and I have not sawn anything on the mill in a while but we have been accumulating logs that need to be sawn and we need to create more places to stack lumber/slabs.  There are 11 loblolly and slash pine logs on the deck now from trees that recently died at my place and I felled last Saturday.  Yesterday, John and I helped a friend of ours take down 20 or so dead or dying slash pine around his house.  All but one were on fence lines  and most had imbedded wire so we had to make the felling cuts high and the notches in such a way as to have them jump off the stump as the hinge closed to keep from messing up the fence (some were 8-12" off of the fence.  The logs that were salvageable are still on the front of our trailer awaiting a place to stack them.  Most are blue stained as are several of the ones I took down last weekend.  

For those of you who sell the blue stained pine, what thickness and width would you recommend?  We discussed cutting it to a full 1" and as wide as the log would produce.  It has been so wet here that I have been suggesting to folks coming to look at wood to wear rubber boots, which they have been doing.

Caveman

WDH

I cut the blue pine into 3 dimensions:  4/4 at  1 1/8" thick rough, 5/4 at 1 3/8" rough, and 6/4 at 1 5/8" rough.

The 5/4 and 6/4 are for rustic pine farm table tops.  I like the 5/4 thickness, but people see the pictures of farm tables on Pinterest that are made from 2x construction lumber (which is 1 1/2" thick planed), and they want their table to look like the pictures.

The 4/4 is used for all sorts of things including rustic paneling.  Does not have to be the full 1 1/8" thick rough for that, but cutting that thick increases the options for using the boards.  I have some customers come and say that they are looking for lumber a full 1" thick planed, and enough of the 1 1/8" thick stock will clean up at 1" to make it work.

Jim_Rogers

Sawing some ash logs to build a 4" thick x 36" wide table top for a garden table.

Will have more pictures as work progresses.

Each piece of the top is 12" wide.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jim_Rogers

Here is the table with stump for pedestals, two 2" oak cleats under top pieces on top of stumps for showing to the customer's son so he can put it together after we deliver it.
The cleat planks will be lag screwed up into the bottom of the table tops. And the table top pieces will be held to the stumps by some angle brackets.

Now I have to cut some logs into stumps for them to sit on.

Jim Rogers

Lawg Dawg

PAW I like your style! And where do you find all these beautiful logs!? :o  

I got an order for 3/4" x 7" x 16' pine boards.  Going to a kiln later this week, then planed, edged and installed on an 1800s Victorian.  I actually saw lots of this thin lumber, and since I saw so much of it...I always figure the price at the 3/4" thick dimension, not 1".  You get more boards per log and that LT-40 with 39 ponies will cut it faster than I can pull it off and stack it :D

This pic above...my blade is nice and clean after 200bf of sappy pine. Learned how to keep it clean right here on the Forestry Fourum 8).  I really struggled with it for years

Only thing I don't enjoy about the widehead is having to move the debarker in and out for the smaller logs :(  It's pretty heavy, and I'm always scared I'm going to chip my nice new orange paint

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

WDH

Dawg,

Your dog board has to be thicker than 3/4", right?

PA_Walnut

Quote from: Lawg Dawg on July 22, 2018, 07:14:58 AMOnly thing I don't enjoy about the widehead is having to move the debarker in and out for the smaller logs   It's pretty heavy, and I'm always scared I'm going to chip my nice new orange paint

Dawg, looks like you have the old-style debarker on your mill. WM updated it to the III version which reaches in much further for the smaller logs. They updated mine at no charge. It is a whole new arm, attaches at another point, new wiring, etc. The only part that gets re-used is the big motor and cutter.

Are you actually bolting it on the other point when you saw smaller logs? :o

As for where I find the logs: I work at it each day through a network of contacts that I have. I try to be responsive, fair and timely in getting to it. Lots of BS and talk in the industry...people get tired of it.  :-\
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

DWyatt

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on July 21, 2018, 03:25:19 PM
Here is the table with stump for pedestals, two 2" oak cleats under top pieces on top of stumps for showing to the customer's son so he can put it together after we deliver it.
The cleat planks will be lag screwed up into the bottom of the table tops. And the table top pieces will be held to the stumps by some angle brackets.

Now I have to cut some logs into stumps for them to sit on.

Jim Rogers
Jim, my houghts are with your customer and son and all of their friends if they ever have to move that table! :o

Jim_Rogers

It will have to be set up in place and then they won't be moving it without taking it apart again.

Jim Rogers

Crossroads

Still busy working on the house preparing it to sell, so we can get started in Idaho. I haven't done much with the mill lately, but an order came through for some oak cribbing that I'll try to get cut this week and also have a job scheduled in Portland cutting maple slabs. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: PA_Walnut on July 22, 2018, 07:54:08 AM
Quote from: Lawg Dawg on July 22, 2018, 07:14:58 AMOnly thing I don't enjoy about the widehead is having to move the debarker in and out for the smaller logs   It's pretty heavy, and I'm always scared I'm going to chip my nice new orange paint

Dawg, looks like you have the old-style debarker on your mill. WM updated it to the III version which reaches in much further for the smaller logs. They updated mine at no charge. It is a whole new arm, attaches at another point, new wiring, etc. The only part that gets re-used is the big motor and cutter.

Are you actually bolting it on the other point when you saw smaller logs? :o

As for where I find the logs: I work at it each day through a network of contacts that I have. I try to be responsive, fair and timely in getting to it. Lots of BS and talk in the industry...people get tired of it.  :-\
Yes, I'm unbolting and moving to cut smaller logs...maybe I need to give Woodmizer a call.

I thought BS was just part of the trade...really, any trade :D..

Looks like you have a fine taste for fine bourbon 8) smiley_beertoast

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

PA_Walnut

Quote from: Lawg Dawg on July 22, 2018, 08:08:01 PMYes, I'm unbolting and moving to cut smaller logs...maybe I need to give Woodmizer a call. I thought BS was just part of the trade...really, any trade .. Looks like you have a fine taste for fine bourbon

That is some serious pain! Call them. They updated mine at no charge.
Yes, fine bourbon cures such pains, and many other maladies, including both business and domestic whoas.8)
It also inspires creativity during end-of-day debriefs, like this one I made. :D;D

LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Whitetail_Addict

My poor manual mill was maxed out multiple times over the weekend. I was offered about 7,000bdft of Cherry logs from my parents neighbor. Several logs over 30 inches and lots better than 20 inches. My back and bent cant hook have been screaming at me to upgrade to a hydraulic mill. 

2010 WoodMizer LT28, John Deere 4520 w/ FEL, 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel, 2007 Polaris Ranger XP 700, 127 Acres of Northeast hardwoods in New York's Whitetail country

Magicman

Oh my, that's a beauty.  It will be interesting following this sawing job.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scleigh

Gonna try and slab this 48" red oak that I brought home from the farm across the road. Gonna be tough.

Brad_bb

That's a big'un.  Looks pretty short though.  Does it make 8 ft at least?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!