iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gang Saws

Started by Fla._Deadheader, October 24, 2007, 01:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

I'm thinkin of reducing the feed speed. These cants zip right along, when they feed correctly.

Lots of playing tomorrow.  ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Fla._Deadheader

Builder from the Big City, didn't show today  >:( >:( >:(  Manana  >:( >:(

Mill owner isn't happy.  >:( >:(  Told the guy, tomorrow be here, or I'm not paying the balance due, due to machine not working.  8) 8)

Ennyhoo. Here's photos (BT).  ::) :D :D

First 2 are the business part of the gangsaw.

Second 2 are the Bandmill cutting logs. You can see the guy in the white shirt. He rides the carriage and advances-retracts the headblocks.

The logs are FULL of dirt from dragging. No one cleans the dirt off  ::) ::) ::)

I had a talk with the owner, and he talked to the workers, and they pretty much ignored him  ::) ::)  Problem is, most are family  >:(

He wants to increase production by speeding up machines. I asked why the gangsaw was not in line with the outfeed of the cants ???  He didn't know ???

I asked why one person was not assigned as yardbird. Clean logs, clean debris, help turn logs or stack cants. Many other things to clear up tying up of the experienced ?? helpers ??  He didn't know ??

He agreed that production would be greater, but, I doubt he will make the changes.  ::) ::)

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

D._Frederick

Is the housing/frame of that so called gang-saw strong enough to prevent the saws from getting out when the arbor shaft breaks? Its going to break but when?

Send us a picture of what happens when it breaks.

ronwood

Would it not be better if they had a bearing supporting end of the shaft?
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

pineywoods

I'm wondering if somebody hasn't put this thing back togather and left off a piece or two.
that big nut on the end of the shaft has a round extension on it, probably to fit in a pillow block bearing bolted to the frame below it. I agree, send pics when it explodes.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Ron Wenrich

Cantelivered arbors have been around for at least 25 years.  Pendu Mfg has been using them in gang saws that will flat out produce a bunch of lumber.  Here's a video where you can see some of their setup. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P133fTPmcms

You're not going to get away with a 25 hp motor on these.  Heck, we have a 50 hp on our horizontal edger and a 60 hp on our vertical.  Not enough power and too much feed can be a real problem.

As for production, making equipment go faster is not the answer, unless you have someone that is a really good mechanic.  Too much speed will bust things apart.  There are lots of better ways to increase production without increasing equipment speed.  Sounds like he needs a mill study done. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!