iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gettin Out

Started by Bobus2003, June 20, 2012, 09:39:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobus2003

Well with the unstable markets i haven't really done much in the woods since February. So i made the decision to get out.. Got a Good paying job as a Truck Driver/Mechanic.. Figure i'll put up most if not all my equipment for sale and be done with the woods.. Been a fun ride though

WDH

The wood business is a tough business and logging in the wood business is even tougher.  I wish you the best as you move forward.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Side loader

It sure has  been rough lately. If it's not weather, it's breakdowns, if it's not breakdowns, its help, if it's not help, it's quota, if it's not quota its $ delivered.  If not $ delivered it's fuel $. It goes on and on. Lately it's been help for me. Caught my cutter man ASLEEP this week in the cutter.  Should have fired him on the spot but sent him home and gave him 1 last chance.  Makes me want to pul, my hair out.   I've learned it can be really good or really bad. Can't say that I blame you. Gotta love it
Side loader log truck w/492 Detroit, bell super T feller buncher, Barko 160 with JD power, Kubota M4900 with brush raker grapple on front and shop built bunching grapple on back. JD 350B Dozer; JD 548D skidder;  and a couple of saws.

chevytaHOE5674

Have I seen your Link Belt advertised on Wisconsin Craigslist in the past?

treefarmer87

its rough here too, best of luck to you :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Bobus2003

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on June 20, 2012, 10:49:23 PM
Have I seen your Link Belt advertised on Wisconsin Craigslist in the past?

Yeah it's currently on there

WildDog

Good luck with it all mate, no matter how it turns out your still you've still got youth on your side. You never know in a decade or 2 you might be back in the woods :)
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Woodhauler

Stick with it! I have seen many market swings in my 35 years or so in this racket!  Only the strong will pull through!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

snowstorm

it may be a bit tuff right now but its no where near as bad as it was in 1980-81 you couldnt give wood away

Stephen Alford

Hey Bobus, big decisions to be sure, just wanted to wish you the best of luck. Hope you stick around the forum, enjoy your posts.  Sing out if there is anything we can do to help.   :)  Stephen
logon

Magicman

I wish you the best with whatever decision that you make.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

Best wishes in your future plans. Things will improve, as everything runs in cycles.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Claybraker

Considering what they are paying in the oil patch right now for someone that can keep equipment running, sounds like a good move. Maybe logging will pick back up when the oil boom dries up in a few years.

Autocar

It's pretty dead here in westcentral Ohio also, I cut a load of pallett once a week and thats about it. Sounds like the grade market will be back this fall, to bad your throwing in the towel but I can understand. Good luck on your new job ,then after you understand how to fix class A trucks you can come back and give us pointers  ;D
Bill

bushmechanic

I'd suggest going with mechanic because there always seems to be a big demand for that and most young people don't want to get dirty.Here on the rock tomorrow the union is going to vote on concessions and if they don't give into the offer then Kruger is going to shut down the only paper mill left here.Seems like it's worse then the 1980's here now.Good luck with whatever you do and don't forget to stop by for a chat now and then. 8)

Ed_K

Good luck Bobus,if you can hold some of the equipt,you then have something to work when the bug bite again  ;D .I'm working parttime at the highway dept and doing some TSI work to get by.It's a killer to have payments on the skidder and haven't worked it in 3 months.
Ed K

thecfarm

bobus,good luck to you. Get out well the getting is good before you lose anymore money. I know it must have been a hard choice for you to make.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

duckslayingpro

Good luck bobus, i hope you enjoy your new path. i just hate to see another guy go out of logging business.but i understand its pretty hard right now.

Norm

Good luck Bobus, man has to do what a man has to do to put food on the table.

Woodchuck53

Best wishes to you and yours Bobus. Keep us posted. As the sign says we are into wood. Be careful.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

SwampDonkey

Softwood pulp is being left roadside and in the bush. I see cords and cords starting to stack up on cut blocks. Recently the DNR said leave it because of the glut from reduced demand and capacity. For a few months they refused to buy wood from private land and I don't know if the price right now will entice anyone much to sell stumpage or cut it off woodlots. A few cuts around, but they are either cedar or farm land clearing mostly in this area. One lot was being cut this spring just down the road, but I see all the pulpwood has sat stacked for weeks and cutting stopped. Equipment moved out. They were cutting for weeks on another lot last year (30 acres, I talked to the owner). Their production was awfully slow, they hand felled I think and used skidder and limbed with a stroke.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

JDeere

Bobus,  Sorry to hear things in the woods are not good. Best of luck with your career change. Things usually have a way of working out for the best.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

Bobus2003

Well As of about Noon today the Processor is sold..  Going to Quebec Canada to start it's new life

SwampDonkey

If your going to sell off things, I guess it's best to move it quick so it's not just sitting around.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

stoneeaglefarm

26 years and I think this is the worst, I hope you at least do some logging on the side if it picks up, I have thought about getting out, But, To many years and I just can not imagine doing anything else, Would be nice to make some money like we all use to. Good luck.

lynde37avery

good luck to you. stay frosty.
Detroit WHAT?

Thank You Sponsors!