iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood for old pick-up bed

Started by Furby, August 10, 2004, 05:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furby

A buddy of mine just started restoring, I think he said a '53 Ford pick-up truck.
He asked me about some wood for the bed. We were talking Q sawn white oak, but I got to thinking that maybe he can do better. I've heard of honey locust being used before, and looked real nice.
He wants it to be kind of a "show truck", so something fancy looking, that might still be historically true to the truck.

Any suggestions?
Also any suggestions for a finish would be helpful.

etat

Quite a few years ago I completely tore down to nothing a 63 gmc pickup and rebuilt.  Started with a 72 frame and stripped everything off of it that would come loose.  Sandblasted it and started back over.  Every bolt, line, and wire, and other components  that could be replaced, was.  Added power steering, and power brakes.  Found and cut down a long bed stepside into a short wheel base stepside.  Looked for a year for some gmc parking light lenses for the front hood, (they're different from a chevy). Finally found some NOS still in the boxes where it'd sat for 30 years.  It was once when I was working for someone else, his truck, and I worked on it for two years. On rainy days he'd usually send every one else home but me and I'd work on the truck.  Sometimes he'd keep me on it weeks at a time.  Every piece of trim was replaced, and recromed.  Carpet, air, tilt steering column.  Chevy 350 motor all dressed up.  Had everything dang near back together and made a mistake of mentioning stainless steel bolts. Some of the black coated ones he'd bought was starting to rust.  He had me take the whole dang thing back apart and put it together with them stainless steel bolts. This guy had more money than he had brains!!!!

Oh, sorry, back to the point.   For the bed we used quarter sawn white oak and found new trim pieces that went between the boards in stainless steel.  We finished the oak with a marine varnish.  It hardly ever gets out of his shop where he keeps it covered up but here a while back I saw it parked at WallyWorld and kinda snuck up to it and looked it over.  It was still looking pretty good.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

hawby

Furby,

What color is he gonna paint it? That might influence what wood, what finsh he should use.

Locust will last forever...course if it is a show truck, it'll be inside all the time anyways.

I wish I had an old truck. Wish I had a new truck. ;D

Some day the ole '66 Lemans convertible will be done and we can cruise  8)

hawby
Hawby

Missin' loggin', but luvin' the steady check...

Furby

Don't know if he's thought that far ahead yet, but I'll ask him next time I see him.
I kinda think he may drive this thing a little, just a hunch.
I'll get some more info when I can.
To be honest I'd like to see a pic of it. Since it's a couple of hours south of me, that's the only way I'll see it for a while.  :-/

Yeah, I wish I had an old truck or a new truck too! :-/

sprucebunny

Ash would be good. They make UV resistant epoxy that would be a good finish but epoxies are toxic to work with .Marine varnish lasts about two years out doors.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

rebocardo

White oak is what the older Fords are finished with for wood beds and you use stainless strips in between the boards. I think it is wise to undercoat the bottom of the boards and ends with a marine epoxy paint and provide drain holes in the front of the bed at least 1/2 to 5/8 iiches wide in each corner.

CHARLIE

I'd vote for quarter sawn white oak.  Especially since they use to use white oak.  But Don''t use red oak. Red oak is no good outside.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Kirk_Allen

White Oak was the most popular in the old trucks from what I have read in the past.  

I know you said its a Ford but maybe Captain can do some checking with GM history on their trucks.  

In regards to Honey Locust, dont get that one mixed up with Black Locust.  The Black locust would out last the truck.  The honey locust is no where near as rot resistant as the Black Locust or the White Oak.

Kirk

Patty

Furby,

Kirk is correct. Honey locust is not nearly as rot resistant as Black locust. We can send you a sample of black locust if you want to see what it looks like. We are clearing about 13 acres of black locust off the back of our farm, where a tornado went through & trashed the area. It is extremely hard (tough on the chainsaw). Both the quartersawn white oak or black locust would work well.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

crtreedude

Here in Costa Rica, the beds are made out of Cortesa - which is so hard that they use it for bridges. It is almost black in color at times and is so dense that the wood will not absorb water. It is amazing stuff. Not exactly original equipment though.

It is interesting, when you saw it with a chainsaw, it makes smoke because it is so hard!

Some of the logs we use are about 80 feet log, just drop a few over a stream or small river, fill between with gravel and dirt and you have a bridge that will support a 10 ton truck. I will say the first time you drive over one, it does make you a bit nervous...

Anyone want pictures?
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Paschale

I think everyone's a fan of pictures!   :)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Buzz-sawyer

HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

crtreedude

I went to find them and saw that I already had them on my website:

http://www.fincaleola.com/country_bridges.htm

No pictures of a pickup truck with a Cortese bed.

Feel free to snag the pictures and put them in the forum if you want.

rebocardo

One wood I have used before that might be great for a pickup bed, if it is meant to be a show truck, is Purple Heart.

I was told it was a tropical wood. It is very tough and bouncy, I guess one of the main uses is bed slats for mattress/box supports. You have to predrill any screw holes because a stainless steel screw will snap in 1/2 trying to drive it.

It is deep purple, looks excellent finished, very resilent, has a gum/wax/resin that would probably make it pretty rot and water proof in a truck bed, especially with a good finish. Plus, it is expensive so that might appeal to some people  :D

I used it to make wall and floor trim.

crtreedude

Purple heart would be very pretty, but I don't think it is weather resistant - could be. It does grow in Costa Rica. Also, it would be REALLY expensive - since it is very scarce now.

Fred

Fla._Deadheader

How's things going down there, Fred ???

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

crtreedude

Having too much fun,  8) But that isn't a problem, is it?

I went out to get my mop of a head of hair cut yesterday and it cost me 600 colones - in other words, less than 1.50 - you have to love it. They did a good job too, of course they did an excellent job considering what they had to work with... ;D

So, when you coming to visit? We had a pig roast Saturday, honestly, I wasn't trying to compete, we just finished planting and all.

Fred

Fla._Deadheader

If we could sell some wood, I will try in Feb.
   First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

Beautiful time to be here, but you probably know that - you will have to bring a pan to pan for gold. I have to see how you do that.

If you get the airfare, I am sure we can put you up somewhere.

Fred

Fla._Deadheader

That would be great. Thanks, Fred

About the truck, got any Hedge Apples up there ??? That would make an eye catcher truck bed ??? ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

Yeah, I am planning on putting you to work.  ;)

I am hoping to have a portable sawmill bought by then and you can show me the tricks.

Fred

Fla._Deadheader

Ahhh, Si. No problema. ::) Gotta brush up on my Spanish. You gettin a Petersen???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Furby

What do ya mean "Hedge Apples", Deadheader?
Big old apple trees???

Patty, by way of looks, how do the black locust and the honey locust compare?

Fla._Deadheader

Furby,  ::) Hedge Apples, Beau-D'arc, Osage Orange, Cannon ball Tree.??? Very bright Yellow w/ streaks. Hard, hard wood.  ;D ;D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Furby

Hmmmmmmmmmm!
Ya got my interest.
I'm gonna pass all this info along when I talk to him again.

Thank You Sponsors!