iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood for old pick-up bed

Started by Furby, August 10, 2004, 05:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crtreedude

Yeah, planning on the Petersons now, hopefully by the dry seaon.  We have several trees that have to be cut this year, so it will get a good workout.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Patty

Furby,

Black locust is kinda yellowish/green ?? where honey locust is more honey colored with brown steaks. Now that I've made this perfectly clear  ::); let me send you some ( a sample) if you are interested.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Furby

Let me talk to my friend and see what way he is leaning.
That way you won't waste your time for no reason.
Thank you for the offer!

dail_h

Sikkens is the best outdoor finish I've ever found
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Kirk_Allen

Furby,
Osage Orange would be a great choice.  Very rot resistant, hard as nails and an awsome color.

Shoot Hillbilly an IM and see if he could post a picture of it.  I sent him back with a bunch from the roast but I didnt take any pictures of it.

When you cut it the sawdust is a Neon Yellow.  I have been told the Amish use the sawdust to make yellow die.

It will loose the yellow color over time unless treeted with a UV protection.

Kirk

SwampDonkey

Kiln dried white ash would be a good wood for resilience. Its also hard as nails when dried good. I have to pre-drill all my holes in white ash, or as mentioned above, the screws snap off.  ::)  Red oak wouldn't work well, as mentioned, because its too pourous where the white oak, as most of you favor, is less pourous because the earlywood vessels look like they have hardening of the arteries if ya get out the 10x hand lens and compare the end grain. Ebony is very hard and heavy, like a sheet of 3/8" steel. :D

This is a good table to look at for physical properties of hardwood species.
http://www.hardwoods-inc.com/physical_properties_1.asp

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Cedarman

Had a guy buy some ERC for his truck bed and racks. Just a show truck. He finished it fine. It was almost hard on the eyes.
But that cedar was sure pretty.  But for durable use w oak.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

rebocardo

I would not like to consider the cost, unless you found an old boat to salvage, but, I bet teak would be nice! Good enough for WWII aircraft carrier decks and ships.

sprucebunny

Teak is very difficult to get a finish to stay on.Also VERY expensive. But still less than ebony!!??
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Fla._Deadheader

Teak is soft. Too easily damaged.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Roxie

I will never forget, in this lifetime, trying to split a Hedgeapple log for firewood....with an axe.  I can still feel the reverb in my shoulder from that one!   :D  
Say when

crtreedude

I would agree with Florida, teak is too soft, and would be very expensive.  However, Ipe might be a good choice, and would not be terribly expensive I would think.

Very hard, durable, and resistant to weather. It is often used for boardwalks.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Thank You Sponsors!