iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stave logs

Started by Larry, March 04, 2004, 01:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

What does it take to make a good stave log or bolt?  Seems like stave log prices are normally quite high.  Don't know a thing about stave logs but since I have a lot of smaller to about 14" DBH white oak figured it was time I did a little learning.

I did both a google and FF search but didn't come up with very much information. :(
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Larry

Thanks Kevin for the links.  Interesting read.  Guess the barrel companies are very critical on the diameter of the log.

I can recognize trees that will make a good saw log but no idea on a stave log.  I just got this wood lot a few years ago and it needs TSI in the worst way plus I want a few logs for the mill.  Want to manage the wood lot for highest profit and at the same time responsibly.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Fla._Deadheader

Man, I cut a lot of bolts when I lived in Ar. That was a long time ago ::) ::)

I believe the max width on a stave is 6", so we split the bolts to get between 3"--6" staves.   The bolts are cut 39" long. It takes a 14" dia bolt to get staves. That dia would be split in half, producing 2 bolts. Larger bolts would eventually be split into quarters and even 6th's. It's a LOT of work.  An occasional knot will not lower the grade, but splitting through the knot will keep the grade high, same as sawing and putting the knot on the edge of the board.  

The staves are produced as "Flat sawn", NOT quarter sawn.

This is from memory, and, that ain't too good anymore.  best thing is to visit a Stave Mill.  VERY interesting place.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!