iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

want a combo pintle/bar hitch on tractor drawbar

Started by Bobcat_pa, March 20, 2004, 10:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobcat_pa

Now that I have installed a electric brake connection on the back of my JD tractor, I want to be able to pull a trailer around the property.  The trailer has a pintle hook and so far we move it around with a Ford F350 that has a combo pintle/bar hitch.  With the tractor, I can get to any place on the property.   All the hitches I find mount vertically with four bolts.    I am now thinking that I need to make some type of sleeve assembly that will slide onto the drawbar, have a vertical mounting plate to receive the hitch, and secure this to the tractor drawbar using the existing drawbar pin hole.   If you have done this, please share a picture, drawing, your design notes, etc.   Thanks--Bob  

Ed_K

If you have a 3 pt hitch drawbar, you can get a large clevis to slide around the pintle ring and hook to the drawbar.
Ed K

redpowerd

good thought ed, but there may be too much slop. i guess it depends on what your yanking around, or in the case with your JD, whats yanking you around! ;) ;D

ive seen in northern hyd. receiver adapters for a pintle hitch. you could apply the same to your sleeve design. your drawbar should have at least two holes in it for bolts.
good luck :)

NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

karl

I did just what red says- made a sleeve w/2 holes matching drawbar holes leaving sleeve sticking past db 6 inches and welded reciever on top of that. I have a pintle mounted on a reciever bar ( northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company) and a couple more receiver hitches with balls and drop pins that interchange between my truck/tractor now. Made a similar setup to slide onto the forks on the Skytrak to shuffle trailers in and out of sheds/containers.
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

Bobcat_pa

Karl: l like both of your ideas.  Talking to a guy yesterday and we came up with pretty much the same drawbar design; 2x2 receiver mounted on top,  bolts trough the two holes on the drawbar, weld a vertical side plate on both sides of the receiver to extend down past the bottom of the drawbar, and then slide in combo pintle/bar unit.   Can you do a picture of your attachment for the forks ?    I think the clevis method would have a little to much play for my comfort level.   Bob

karl

You may grow old before I figure out pic posting- The setup for my forks is 2 pcs of channel iron wide enough to slide over the forks and about 16" long welded together side by side, so that from the end they look like an m, on top of that at one end weld on a reciever, flip it over and weld a  1/4 x 2 strap across the bottom at each end and one across the receiver end of channels to act as a stop so the forks don't slide right through, flop it over again and weld on a lenght of 5/16 chain long enough to loop through the framework your forks hang on, slide the forks together in the center, slip your creation over the ends, loop the chain 'round framework, snug it up with a binder or bolt through the chain.  
Clear as mud? ???
I'll still see if I can do pics- be patient ;)
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

karl

here goes- first pic post-

hopefully this works
yes that is fresh snow in the background!

karl

Hmmmm? That wasn't quite what I envisioned- lost my captions for pics along the way.
Oh well, there's no stopping me now- prob'ly be posting pics of everything from tools to grandkids!

Thank You Sponsors!