iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Flowering Plant That You Can ID...Solved!!.....Maple-Leaf Viburnum

Started by WDH, June 05, 2007, 09:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dave Shepard

I know those leaves! I just can't remeber what they are! ::) I should be better at this game than I am. How about a Cornus? Maybe Florida? Probably way off. It's probably a picture of a chicken for all the luck I have been having lately.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WDH

Dave, you got it right!  It is not a chicken ;D.  It is also not a cornus ::).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tom

I don't know which leaves go witht the flowers.  Could be hog plum.

tcsmpsi

The leaves for that little bugger are the ones that, when one walks around it, seem as though they will stick you, but are actually much softer than they appear.

An initial whiff of the flowers blooming seem, at first, to be rather adversely pungent, amost to the point of 'stink'.   A more in depth olfactory experience, however, is quite pleasant.  Almost intoxicating.

That's what it is.      ;D   A 'swamp' creature. 
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Tom

not prunus, could be a mint

.....I don't know.

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Dodgy Loner

I'm pretty sure its initials are V.d., but don't worry, it's not contagious  ;D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Dave Shepard

Aha! Thanks DL, it must be a Viburnum of some sort. Are we playing with books or without?
We are talking about the leaf in the upper left in the second picture, right?

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tom

That would be cool!  If it's a Viburnum it culls it down to 1:15,000,000 :D

Dodgy Loner

All the leaves I see belong to the same plant, although some are more 'typical' than others.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Tom

I initially misread some because I was seeing partial leaves mixed in and figured it was a trick.

WDH

Here is another pic.

Look at the leaves in the background on the left side of the photo.  They are more "text-book" typical.  As you can see, it has an opposite leaf arrangement.

Dodgy Loner

We've got'em planted in the courtyard at Warnell.  Is that one planted, or did you find it growing wild?

WDH

DL,

Found it in the wilds of East Texas. 

OK, y'all, Dodgy Loner is hanging back on this one (what you would call a gracious Dendro fanatic), so somebody drive the nail home on this one :).

Dodgy Loner

*chirp chirp, chirp chirp*...Anyone?  Surely someone has a plant ID book that covers viburnums in the southeast.

Dave Shepard

Well, if we are going to use books, then I say it's a viburnaum dentatum, arrowwood viburnum.

Dave

Dodgy Loner

There was a farmer had a dog...

Next time, you can just pretend that you knew it all along.  Books?  What books? ;)

bitternut

Heck, thats an easy one. Its Highbush Cranberry. I just got done trimming the grass around one in my yard about 5 minutes ago. Mine still has the berries on it from last year along with this years new blossoms. There are a couple of Catbirds that have been gorging themselves on them the last couple of weeks. Never knew Catbirds to eat berries but I watch them in there all the time lately eating them. I think there are enough to last them the rest of the summer.

SwampDonkey

Viburnum trilobum is our highbush cranberry in the Maritimes. There isn't a line fence or abandoned field that hasn't got a clump of Viburnum trilobum in these parts. We also have V. edule here in the Maritimes, but it's called squashberry and grows on wet poor ground.

The flowers and leaves are different in our species, V. trilobum , and they grow up to 15 feet tall. I cut a lot out of the back yard a few years ago that were 3 inches at the stump. Talk about ruffed grouse attractant. They will come across a 100 acre open field for those berries. They have cranberry honing radar.  :D :D I have a small one on the front lawn, just starting to flower now. Yup, I've seen a grouse on occasion honing in on my bush. The flowers on our variety V. trilobum have a lot of sterile ones along the perimeter of the cluster and the arrangement reminds you of 'Queen Anne's Lace'. The EurAsian variety Viburnum opulus var. americanum or  also known as Viburnum opulus subsp. americanum is said to be potentially poisonous when green, and for some reason is the only one listed in Peterson's Guide to Medicinal Plants. Shame. They are not actually cranberries, but they taste the same. Cranberries are Vaccinium sp., just as blue berries. Alaskan blue berries in fact taste like cranberries. I've seen them canned in the west. Huckleberries also fall in the same family as blueberries, and they taste similar to cranberries.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Some of the leaves on this plant are distinctly 3 lobed.  Look at the last pic in the background on the top left quadrant of the pic.  See the distinct 3-lobed leaves?  I think that it might be maple-leaf viburnum (Viburnum acerifolium).  It is definitely either maple-leaf or arrowwood viburnum.  Sometimes maple-leaf viburnum will have unlobed leaves.  How about arrowwood viburnum.  Does it sometimes have 3-lobed leaves?

Dodgy Loner

Are you sure the one in the background with the 3-lobed leaves isn't a different plant? ???  I've seen maple-leaf viburnums that had a few unlobed leaves, but the leaves still had acuminate tips.  The close-up leaves lack acuminate tips.  I've also never seen an arrowwood viburnum with 3 lobes, but I suppose it could happen.  Looks like this mystery ain't solved yet.

WDH

It is possible that an arrowwood viburnum and a maple-leaf viburnum were growing side by side.  But, if so, I did not notice it.  I took the pic thinking it was a maple-leaf viburnum, but there were some unlobed leaves on this year's flush of new growth.  There were definitely some 3-lobed leaves on the plant attached to the flowers in the photo.  That leans me to Viburnum acerifolium.  Maple-leaf viburnum is supposed to be the only one with 3-lobed leaves.  According to the Manual of The Vascular Flora of the Carolinas, "leaves 3-lobed, rarely unlobed".

After the response to this post, I was scratching my head wondering if I had inadvertantly photographed an arrowwood viburnum while thinking that it was a maple-leaf viburnum.

This particular plant is just trying to play games with us  pull_smiley;D.  There are always supposed to do just what the book say, right  :P   smiley_contract_point no_no

Maybe this is a newly unrecognized hybrid ??? horn_smiley horn_smiley

Dave Shepard

That wasn't me, I wouldn't cheat by looking in a book. ::) I did catch the culprit in the act though:

Dave

WDH

Well now we know that you have a tutor, Dave ;D.

Thank You Sponsors!