iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

'Mahogany' Identification

Started by madra, September 24, 2015, 04:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madra

Bought a 2x1 wood moulding, which is labelled as MAHOGANY SLIP but I am wondering which wood exactly do I have. I understand that Mahogany is a broad term nowadays. :)

Here are some pictures

Thanks

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Yes, not a true mahogany. More along the lines of a Philipine mahogany.. light weight wood but find a lot of it in the market.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine_mahogany
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, madra.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

madra

Thanks.

I guess it's not hard enough to work as a trim around a workbench top? It doesn't feel like there's much quality in it. I am not using this piece for that, it would just be handy if it were suitable as I am finding it hard to source maple and when I do it will be a nightmare cutting long strips as I don't have a band or table saw

beenthere

Click on your forum name, and it will take you to your profile, and you can fill in your location.
Hard to help with an answer without your location...

For workbench trim, pick up some oak.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

madra

Can only find rough oak boards, can you recommend a good ripcut handsaw for cutting the strips?

Ianab

For cutting strips, use a hand held circle saw and a straight edge clamped to the board. MUCH faster.

Works the same as doing it on a table saw, except the wood stays still and the blade moves.

Also, not being in the US means you are likely to have different woods to work with. Oak and Maple are imported exotics here, so we might use Eucalyptus where a good solid hardwood is needed. Not sure what is going to be available locally, but I'm sure something is.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!