iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stoopid Is, As Stoopid Does

Started by Fla._Deadheader, May 28, 2004, 05:08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Ain't that the way Ole Forrest Gump put it  ??? ???

Well, Me and Gilligan was headed back to camp with 2 nice logs tied alongside the Swamp Rat. We round the bend at Ft Gates, and what the H3ll  :o :o ??? ???

Here comes about a 90 foot Yachet, slap-dab in the middle of the river, doing probably 15 knots,(thats about 12 MPH for you land lubbers) ;D ;D  This sucker is throwin a wake about 3 foot high, because of the shallow water. We was headed for a swampin :o :o :o

We tried to get their attention, to get them to slow down, but, Nooooooo, they was too high and mighty >:( >:( >:( >:(

Well, here came the waves, and about 8 of 'em slops over the bow and there's now 3 inches of water in the boat. The logs have the bow weighted down a little too much, so, the water stays in the front, never reaching the Bilge Pump. :o

Did I mention the shallow water  ::) ::) :D :D :D

Me and Gilligan had a smile as we were both thinkin about what was to happen.  ;D ;D ;D Didn't care about the boat sloppin all that water around. ;D ;D ;D ;D  Gilligan grabbed the camera, but, it was tucked safely inside the carry case. By the time he had it ready to shoot, that big yachet came to a screechin halt. Threw the crew all over the decks. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Me and Gilligan howled. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D  That big ole Yachet hit a sand bar that was 2 feet under the surface. I'll bet it slid 20 feet up on that bar before coming to rest. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

THAR SHE BLOWS  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Beached like the Proverbial Whale.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

We are still putt-puttin along, about 4 MPH, when Gilligan says, TURN AROUND and LOOK. :o :o

The crew decided to put " FULL STEAM ASTERN" and back off the bar. Do Y'all see them crab pot floats dottin the water???  This bunch was outta the channel by, 150 feet. :D :D :D :D :D

I love it when satisfaction comes our way, occasionally.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D

They FINALLY got that Yachet twisted sideways and backed over into the channel, BUT, they DID slow down. ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Rocky_J

Sorry you got swamped, but don't you fret none. There will be another rich jerk with a big new boat next week to take his place.

Norm

I waited on two hillbillies down on Truman Lake who decided that the boat ramp was the perfect place to work on their boat motor. Wouldn't have been so bad but they parked right in the middle of it. When I asked them to move so I could get my boat out they where pithed.

I can tell you from experience that a mud flat next to the river channel will flat out stop a boat. :D

Pete J

You guys are my hero's!

Who could have thought collecting logs could be SO much fun!

Where do I sign up?

shopteacher

Hey Skipper,
    Good thing you and Gilligan had a good grip on them logs. Sure would have been a shame if due to their speed and carelessness one of them had broke loose and floated out in their  path. :D ;D :D
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Fla._Deadheader

LogRite, Sign up??? ??? Are you SERIOUS ??? ???  C'mon down. We need ya RAT NOW. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

I wonder how much those props cost that they were using to dredge the sand from under the hull?  Pretty expensive shovel, eh?

etat

Fla.  once again I'd like to say that you always make it sound like you have a REALLY  GREAT job, and I always like hearing your stories.  I bet it scared the doggie do do outa them fools on that boat when they hit that sand bar!!!!
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Fla._Deadheader

Next week, we are going to investigate the spot where they ran aground. Might be some artifacts or logs there. Sand bars don't just pop up. Not in the middle of the river, anyways. ::) ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

:D You might be able to salvage a screw off of that yachet :D

Fla._Deadheader

YUP. ;D Cant believe they traveled about 1½ miles in 3-4 feet of water, without damaging something ::) ::) ;D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Haytrader

In the early 70's I lived near Lake Murray (next to Texhoma) in southern Oklahoma.
There was a twin engine yatt ( ;D) on auto pilot while the party went on. Well, sombody forgot every lake is just SO BIG and they ran that baby on the shore at full speed.
Of course there were injuries. They had to get a helicopter from a nearby Army base to lift it back in the water after repair.
Haytrader

Fla._Deadheader

Yep. If Y'all remember, we DID salvage a boat outta the brush last year. Every bit of the prop blades were gone. It must have ran a bit on land, once they launched outta the water ??? :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

rebocardo

> doing probably 15 knots,(thats about
> 12 MPH for you land lubbers)

This land lubber thinks there is probably 5280 feet in a mile and 6080.27 feet in a knot, so 15 knots = 17+ mph.

Real justice would have been if they hit a hidden log! I bet there is something exposed now that they were nice enough to shovel it out for you! :-D

Fla._Deadheader

You wasn't supposed to figger that out :o :D :D :D :D :D :D

Just read the stories ::) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

james

we have a vacation cabin on a lake in central BC about 100 mi w of Quesnel between the point where the cabin is and the first island the watter is only about 2 ft deep the locals all know this and go through dead slow or go around the other end of the island but ever so often some city-slicker with a speed boat goes through full throttle did i mention the bottom is rocks 6-9 inch boy do that mess up a prop  :o ;D ;D ;D ;D

Stan

Recarbo, he jest had his numbers backwards. He meant 12 knots was about 15 mph, course we know that's all wrong, but it sure is closer'n the otherway.  :D
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Pete J

I'm coming right down to help. I'm just not sure of the exact dates. ( maybe next April ) We have the Richmond Forestry Expo next weekend and we've been flat out!

Way back in 1978 I used to live right in that area. I was the whipping boy at Daytona Harley Davidson. I was living in and around Daytona, Ormond Beach and Holly Hill. I should have been out working with the Skipper and Gilligan.

My brother was living in Vero Beach at the same time doing his flight training thing. He's flying 737's for Delta Airlines now. How times have changed!

Fla._Deadheader

LogRite, are ya plannin on doing the Moultrie, Ga. show, in October ???  We would love ta have ya show yer goods, and then, maybe take ya on a "3 Hour Tour". ;D ;D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!