iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quilbilly

I work for my dad, and he likes to keep things simple and old school. So we have what a lot of the older operators in this area had for a set-up. Some of his older buddies have him scared of the maintenance and measuring issues with a processor but I think the maintenance per ton/mbf is less. I will say though this set-up is easy on the wallet, 15-20k for the 314 scd and it runs on a 4 cylinder Deere, sips fuel. To get more productive another shovel would about double your output. I agree though, need the processor.
a man is strongest on his knees

Skeans1

I don't do too many clear cuts but when we have done a few we ran a Fabtek 240 dangle really simple set up 24 wire, cheap computer, rubber wheel for alder so the mills don't scream. A lot of guys do load with a processor I've done it a few times with that Fabtek dangle it'd take a bit but completely do able.

quilbilly

It would be nice to get a 2-1 machine so we could increase production with just two guys. Either a processor loader like the southstar or Pierce GP or a quadco 5660 etc. Keep two guys two machines
a man is strongest on his knees

Skeans1

I've been around a few of those quadco ultimate heads and I don't know of too many that honestly worked that well they always have had measuring computer issues. If it was me I'd stick to a normal processor so you can cut with it besides processing.

snowstorm

southstar is built by the guys that started warthar i was told that quadco bought southstar

Skeans1

And quadco/South star is now Komatsu. After south star sold out they started on Axis which hasn't taken off other then parts for Waratah.

snowstorm

logmax is owned by komatsu. i havnt hears anything about quadco selling out

Skeans1

Yeah they do, they're getting big not sure if they'll keep the shop here in Longview or not we'll see we were told the logmax store might be closing.
Komatsu to acquire Quadco & Southstar operations

Skeans1

Crusarius

I can finally participate in this thread.

Here is my very first set of cuts.

Still needs some fine tuning but overall very happy. Now I understand how much a pain it is to cut short stuff. I ended up having to screw it to a 2x6 then clamp it to the bed to get it to stop moving. It was pretty well frozen to. I found the log in my firewood rack waiting to go in the wood stove :)

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Crusarius on March 12, 2018, 09:04:48 AMI can finally participate in this thread.

Except this is the wrong thread! :D  You want the Whatscha Sawing? ? ? thread...  Nice looking stuff, though.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Crusarius

Resonator

Just edit it to say how you used a chainsaw to cut it to length, and you'll be good. 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Towhilloggc4a

mills

My gooodness!  :o

Did that skidder pull that log or did you back up to it and take the picture? :D

Cub

Quebecnewf

This is our second pile we have cut this winter. For us these are good logs. Lots of nice straight spruce and good quality fir. Our count stands a 530 logs so far . Goal is 600 . Should make it

Quebecnewf

Towhilloggc4a

MILLS That little skidder will pull almost anything you ask it to. Yes it did pull that log 42" at butt

David-L

Quote from: Towhilloggc4a on March 14, 2018, 06:14:35 AM
MILLS That little skidder will pull almost anything you ask it to. Yes it did pull that log 42" at butt
Nice skidda, my brother has one like that. ( C5 Pulpwood special)  The peavey holder must have been a factory option cause his don't have that. ;D
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Skipper11A

Bulldozed Post Oak.  The access to this field was so tight I had to take the little trailer....and barely got it through the gate.

mills

Quote from: Towhilloggc4a on March 14, 2018, 06:14:35 AM
Dang it boy! Now that's impressive. ;)

coxy

mills

I'm going to show that picture to my 518. See if I can embarrass him.  ;D

mike_belben

LOLOLOL

Shaming my 4yr old into getting a job hasnt worked yet.  Time will tell. 
Praise The Lord

luvmexfood

Quote from: Skipper11A on March 14, 2018, 09:32:18 AM

Bulldozed Post Oak.  The access to this field was so tight I had to take the little trailer....and barely got it through the gate.

You have your trailer set up about like mine. Winch on the tongue. I am up to about 85,000 BF that I have hauled on mine. Course the log yard is only about 8 miles away one way. I can take the trailer way back on the farm and haul out smaller loads rather than skid almost a mile. Can't skid big loads with the tractor. Use what I have to get it done. Course I only log part time now.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Thank You Sponsors!