iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can you build a cheap kiln ? what about solar kilns ???

Started by Shaggy, September 22, 2013, 11:02:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaggy

I'm new to this and trying to figure out what would be best for the lumber I'm going to produce. I want to sell most and use some as flooring in my new house so it needs to be dry but was wondering best way to do this besides waiting 6 mo. to a year to dry... Most (90%) is hardwood wood and mostly white oak then maple w/ some cherry and poplar...

So can you build a kiln @ reasonable price ???? What are solar kiln's ??? are they good??? Can they be made cheaply ???

Dan_Shade

can you define cheap?

a solar kiln uses solar energy as a heat source.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Shaggy

lots of sun n heat here in south mississippi. so what is price range??? I'd build the building myself and want to know how much so I can see if its worth doing or would it be better getting it done by someone and still make a profit selling the lumber. But if its gonna take years (to pay off) and massive bank loans then I'd rather air dry or pay someone as I only pay cash for my stuff... Banks n Uncle Sam get TOO MUCH as it is...

Compensation

Look up top where it says solar kiln pictures. I forget total price of mine but it was under $1000 with fans and a few of the solar panels for power. Lan told me that solar can't get under 6% MC so that means it can be used as storage as well. I am vary novice about kilns so others would be better at recommendations.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Solar heated kilns do work, but for the small quantity you need, save the $1500 cost of a solar kiln, assuming your time is worth money, and contract the drying.  Probably would be a good idea in your area to dry over 150 F to eliminate the lyctid powder post beetle and then move the dried lumber immediately to a safe bug free storage place.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Kingcha

I only have $600 into mine kiln, but I cut almost all the wood in it.  I also had some plywood laying around that I used.  If I had to buy those that might have been another $150 at most.   I still have to decide if I want a hinged door on the back.

Mine kiln seems to be working good but then I am still learning how to dry lumber.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,67821.0.html
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

pineywoods

Shaggy,  Can you build a chicken coop with lumber you sawed yourself ?
Solar works well, but it is a bit different. There are 3 of these kilns locally. We dry wet cypress down to 6% moisture content. The only expense is plastic greenhouse roofing and a small room de-humidifier. The rest is just lumber and a little insulation.
click here
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,50281.msg726419.html#msg726419
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Shaggy

Quote from: pineywoods on September 22, 2013, 02:43:33 PM
Shaggy,  Can you build a chicken coop with lumber you sawed yourself ?
Solar works well, but it is a bit different. There are 3 of these kilns locally. We dry wet cypress down to 6% moisture content. The only expense is plastic greenhouse roofing and a small room de-humidifier. The rest is just lumber and a little insulation.
click here
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,50281.msg726419.html#msg726419
1) yes I've built chicken coops (got some runnin around here atm) LOL
2) I only wanted below 10% so thats great
3) YEA I KNOW ABOUT HUMIDITY, n from the sounds of it I might b able to use it as a winter green house (start my maters early) when not drying wood LOL
n I might need to holler @ ya about tradin some hardwood for some 1x6 to 1x8 cypress for my board n batten barn siding...  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!