iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A bit of small scale logging.

Started by Ianab, April 02, 2011, 03:49:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

A guy I know through works calls me up and asks if I want to help him drop and saw some trees at a friends place... Sure.  ;D

Was able to borrow the Ex's tractor (she lives a couple of miles down the road). Makes moving logs MUCH easier.

Various Port Orford Cedars, but sorta ugly with multiple leaders. Big enough to get some saw logs out of still.

Kinda long video of the bigger one coming down. Yeah, having to cut a notch above head height sucks big time, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Bottom of the tree had various bits fence wire sticking out of it  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLP_wLTnFRs

It was still the best looking stump of the day though  Lil couldn't actually see the stump and just held the camera over her head to take a pic.  :D

Ended up with a useful stack of logs.

And not too much mess.

That was our day out anyway  :)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Kinda what I do here. What are the logs going to be used for?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ianab

Quote from: thecfarm on April 02, 2011, 07:46:03 AM
Kinda what I do here. What are the logs going to be used for?

Jason want's some for building bee hives and has a plan to build a boat. I'm looking to build some small Chicken coops and bird cages, and the rougher stuff makes good garden landscaping timber. It's light and durable timber, good for outdoor use without being treated.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

isawlogs

Those fences get in the way for you guys too  eh eh   :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

mad murdock

port orford cedar is as strong as sitka spruce.  It is an approved wood for use as aircraft wing spar material, (if it meets the criteria for rings/inch grain straightness and defects, and of course cut properly off the log).  It is good stuff, for sure!  Nice looking job on the take down Ianab 8) 8), I bet it will be fun opening up those logs.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Magicman

Dangerous, but those logs look like a nice reward for a day's work.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ely

it has always made great arrows for the longbow too.

Ianab

Quoteport orford cedar is as strong as sitka spruce.  It is an approved wood for use as aircraft wing spar material, (if it meets the criteria for rings/inch grain straightness and defects, and of course cut properly off the log).

Not going to make aircraft grade, that's for sure   :D

Try down to about 2 rings per inch for some of the local grown stuff, and they were originally planted as farm or garden hedges, and pruned off at head height  >:(. Then abandoned to grow multiple leaders. But given 60 years those leaders are now big enough to saw, and we should be able to get some relatively clear pieces out for the little boat project.

I certainly don't LIKE doing felling notches and bore cutting at head height, but sometimes it's the only way, and dismantling the old hedge is kind of like taking a puzzle apart, working out what's leaning where, and what's going to catch and hang up. :-\

We did have one minor stuff up with a small back leaner that pinched the saw before I was deep enough to get wedges in, but we had a rope set and got the saw free with a bit of tension. But when we pulled it over the hinge was a bit thick and had an ugly knot in it, so it broke and twisted off the stump and hung in the next tree.  :-[

But it was small, we were able to pull it part way down from a different angle, then parked the front end loader under it so we could cut it free safely. A bit unorthodox, but we kept safe.

Ian

mad murdock

Quote from: Ianab on April 06, 2011, 04:48:57 PM
Quoteport orford cedar is as strong as sitka spruce.  It is an approved wood for use as aircraft wing spar material, (if it meets the criteria for rings/inch grain straightness and defects, and of course cut properly off the log).

Not going to make aircraft grade, that's for sure   :D

Try down to about 2 rings per inch for some of the local grown stuff, and they were originally planted as farm or garden hedges, and pruned off at head height  >:(. Then abandoned to grow multiple leaders. But given 60 years those leaders are now big enough to saw, and we should be able to get some relatively clear pieces out for the little boat project.

Ian
To be honest, I was quite surprised to see you had Port Orford Cedar there, I thought that the only place the stuff grew was here in ORE, (hence the name),the stuff that grows here is usually some really nice stuff.  There is a timber co. near Florence ORE that has some really nice stands of it 60-75 yrs old, some older, that is 140+ feet tall, minimum taper, and no limbs on the first 40-60 ft, with 20-30" dbh, straight as an arrow.  The stuff you have growing in Kiwiland has been planted?
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Ianab

Yup, it's an introduced tree here. Not really grown commercially, but was commonly planted on farms as hedges/shelter and just left to grow.

The climate here must be very similar to Nth Cali /Ore area. Main timber trees here are Monterey Pine (Radiata) and Douglas Fir in the cooler areas and Monterey cypress is a common farm tree that's sometimes used for timber too. We even have some Redwoods locally, but only 100 or so years old, so not huge yet. Not grown commercially as the crop rotation would be too long, 100+ years compared to about 28 years for Radiata.

Most of the local trees are very slow growing temperate rainforest species, think 300 year rotation or 800 year life span. Most of the remaining native forest is now protected, so not much of that gets harvested, although some small scale selective logging is done.

Ian

Ianab

Actually getting around to sawing this random stack of logs  :D

Cleaning up a piece of the bottom slab. When a log is sitting on the ground you can't saw all the way to the "deck" (no room for the blade to swing), so you are left with maybe a 6" bottom slab, depending on how deep it's sunk into the dirt. I was just messing about this afternoon cleaning up some of these. As I was working alone I slices them in half, so I can move then, and just cut short boards.

Was still some good stuff to be had  ;)

Ian

WDH

Lovely wood and lovely assistant!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mad murdock

Pretty nice looking stuff.  You are training that girl up right! You are going to give her the disease early ;)  She will have to suffer a long time for sure ;D

WildDog

Your mills set up in a great spot there Ian, good little helper and scenery like that makes for a good day. 
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Meadows Miller

Gday

Looking good there Ian your getting some nice looking timber out of those Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!