iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Job, New Breakdowns

Started by Corley5, September 02, 2014, 08:47:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

Actually we've been here almost three weeks.  Sent out two hundred face cords of firewood and there should be 20 cords of maple flooring bolts and 20 cords of basswood pulp this week in addition to more cordwood.  We should have the harvester back on line by noon today  :)  It's good to have access to a magnetic drill press  ;) ;D

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

I had never heard of or seen a magnetic drill press before. I can think of a bunch of times in my former sawmill career where that would have been a huge tool to have!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

It looks like when "opportunity" knocks, you open the door. :o  There is always something new to learn about here.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Gary_C

Quote from: Corley5 on September 02, 2014, 08:47:42 AM
  It's good to have access to a magnetic drill press 

It's also good this was August.  8)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Autocar

Drilling truck frams a magnetic drill press is the cats meow used them many times. There plenty heavy to hold on the side of a ruck rail till you get her lined up and flip the magnetic switch on. I always wondered if the electric would go off what a crash it would be.
Bill

Corley5

We're running again.  Finished tapping the holes after lunch.   The bolts that hold the rotator motor and gear reducer stack to the base of the house came loose and broke off allowing the motor to turn in the hole.  It wrapped up the hydraulic lines and broke one.  A lot of fluid can pump out of a 3/4" line in a short period of time.  From the evidence it appears that this or something similar had happened before.  The date on the motor tag is 09/10 and the machine is a 1999.  There are signs of previous drilling, cutting, and grinding.  There are supposed to be ten 5/8" 11 grade 8 bolts that hold this in place and we were only able to find 5 broken heads and there is no way for them to get away so we think that all ten weren't there.  All ten are in there now.  We pulled the motor cleaned things up, set it back in, turned it enough to miss the old holes and leave some meat between them and then marked the new holes with a transfer punch.  We then drilled the new holes with the mag drill press.  We were wishing we had one with a tapping attachment after cutting the new threads in the second hole.  Lots of fun.  The bolts are going to be checked for tightness on a regular basis now  ;) 
  Yes, I'm glad this happened in late summer instead of mid winter. 
  A magnetic drill press isn't something that's used everyday but it sure is nice to grab it off the shelf when the need arises 8) 8)  To use it for this job we had to clamp a piece of steel across the hole for the drill to attach to.  We made it work  ;D  New ones come with a strap or chain to hold it in place if the power to the magnet is interrupted  :)  Some have an adjustable base too.  That would be a handy feature  8)
  We'll be producing wood in the morning.  I was going to run for a while this evening but as we were putting the tools away the last bolt in the door latch fell out and disappeared.  I'd taken another one out to get new ones.  There are four but forgot it when we went to Car Quest earlier.  So I made a trip to the parts store instead.  Putting the door latch back together is first on the agenda after getting off road fuel and Monsters  ;D  Need to add more hydraulic fluid too.  I pumped in 25 gallons and it's not in the sight glass yet  :(  That and the hose are the two biggest expenses but there's also ten new bolts and lock washers, two 17/32" drill bits, paper towels, ether for degreasing, and a new EZ Out and bit that we tried to drill out out an old bolt.  It was worth a try but we knew it probably wasn't going to work  ;) ;D  Down time for the machine was actually only a day and half but as usual breakdowns occur near holidays.  It never fails  :)   

WmFritz

That's it Corley5!
You've used up your allotted breakdowns this year.  ;)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Corley5

I hope I've used them up  ;D :D

BargeMonkey

Thats a pretty big repair to only be down 1.5 days. It takes some creative skills sometimes to keep going.  :D

lopet

You sure had a lot of bad luck lately. Hope your good now for " bit " anyways. smiley_thumbsup
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Ken

It often takes some creative thinking to keep older gear operating.  Good job
Lots of toys for working in the bush

thenorthman

If'n you have a big enough chuck you can get away with sticking the tap straight into the drill press, run er on a slow speed and let it pull itself through the hole.  Reverse is nice otherwise ya gotta manually reverse it,

5/8-11 is a bear to tap by hand with though... unless you got a really big tap handle... which probably wouldn't fit anyway...

Knew some folks the used a mag drill to hole saw 2" diameter holes through 3" thick plate steel... they called in the machinists after 5 holes,  they needed about 50 to finish the job...
well that didn't work

Corley5

This old mag drill doesn't have reverse.  We thought about using it to run the tap  ;D  We used a 1/2" drive ratchet with an 11MM 12pt socket to turn the tap.  It fit the tap just right  :)

Maine logger88

That seems to be common with equipment some people seem to think that if it came with 10 bolts 5 should work, when I fixed the clutch in my 225 the 4 bottom bell housing bolts where missing there all there now tho. Good job getting it up and running so quickly! I hope you had a good sharp drill bit!
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

ScottAR

They make Tap size sockets with square holes in em.  Handy for when a tap handle won't fit which is a lot of times.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Corley5

Somewhere around here I've got some double square/8 point sockets but of course I couldn't find them when I could have used them :)

Corley5

The hose monster struck today  ::) :(  A 2' 1" four wire hose with a 90 degree ORFS female on one end and a straight ORFS female on the other blew.  My hose machine doesn't make four wire hoses so off to the hydraulic shop.  It was lunch time anyway and up until then things has been going very well.  Put the new hose on and within a couple trees the hose that it connects to blew steve_smiley arg-smiley arg-smiley steve_smiley smiley_furious whiteflag_smiley smiley_alcoholic_01 smiley_alcoholic_01  It looked good too but a pin hole developed and it would send out a fine misty cloud when the saw button was released.  Back to the hydraulic shop again.  This one was a 3/4" 4 wire about five feet long with a 45 degree ORFS female on one end and 3/4" to 1" ORFS female on the other.  I didn't even ask what they cost.  I didn't want to know.  I'll pay the bill Friday  :( :) 

BargeMonkey

Somedays you cant win. You have a local hose shop ? For me to get anything more than a 2wire 3/4 hose I should just drive to albany to insure I get what I want, blown hose @ 1100 kills the rest of the day.

Corley5

There are several places within a half hour drive that can make most any hose I'd need.  Indian River, Petoskey, Alanson, and Gaylord all have well stocked hydraulic supply houses.  It's convenient  ;) but expensive.  I can make two wire hoses myself up to 1 1/4" and have a stock of 3/8", 1/2", and 3/4" hose and fittings.  These 4 wire hoses are a killer  :(

Ken

Maybe its not offered in your area but many of our local shops with hose making machines will give you a machine provided you buy a certain amount of hose and fittings from them annually.  I run 4 wire hose on everything and keep a good selection of fittings at the shop and try to keep a good selection of common hoses all made up and at the site.  Of course there are always some fittings you don't have when needed.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Southside

Had to replace my rotate motor this spring, had the gearbox out as well for a new seal at the time.  Put it all back together and was in the woods for a day when I saw the fine mist you describe, there is a 1' long, 1/4" hose that was JIC on on both sides, goes from one frame mounted manifold block to another one - perfect place to use steel line, nope - the engineers found it appropriate to use hose, I think it cost me $20 for the hose and I know it took me 6 hours to replace the stupid thing.  I hate the hose monster.   >:(
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Brleclaire

At least your leak was that fine mist type and not the one where the whole hose  blows apart and all you can do is watch those hard earned dollars getting pumped all over the ground like a Texas guyeser.

Southside

That was my Franklin yesterday, right along the side of the winch.....
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

lopet

Now your starting to use up next years breakdown credits !   Well, at least you didn't lose a lot of hydraulic fluid this time.
Older equipment can be a real money maker  or it can get really frustrating.  Been there , done that,    believe me.
It sounds like you have a whole bunch of bad hoses on your machine and once you have them all eliminated , it will get better.
Good luck.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.

Corley5

I'll just get them all replaced and it'll be time to start over  ;D  This stuff is kinda like old snowmobiles.  Ride them for an hour, work on them for two  ::) ;) ;D  I gotta go to work  :)

Corley5

The forwarder's starter failed after lunch  ::) ::)  Golden Auto in Gaylord rebuilt it while I waited this afternoon.
  The harvester's computer went blank before lunch.  That was just a fuse.  I have no idea what made the fuse blow but it ran without a hitch for an hour or so, until the starter issue needed to be addressed, without blowing again.  It's a labor of love  ;) ;D   

bushmechanic

FYI corley5 a 45 or 90 degree fitting is twice the price of a straight. I always used adaptors where possible on high wearing hoses as to use all straight fittings to keep the cost of hoses down. Four wire are expensive cut costs where you can.

lopet

At least you haven't lost your sense of humor  and you haven't thrown a match on in yet.   ;D    Not that I  say, you would do something like that.  ;)

Corley5

And now with all the rain we've had the last few days, it's still raining, the bottom has dropped out of the access trail.  It's fairly sandy soil but it's reached its saturation point.  Ahhh..  The joys of logging  ;D
  I really don't like running equipment with lightening flashing around either  ;) :)  It's supposed to quit before noon  :-\   

Thank You Sponsors!