iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

White Pine?

Started by Knute, May 26, 2017, 10:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knute

How long do you think a 50 year old white pine will live with 1/3 of the top broken off? I'm thinking it may be best to cut it and salvage any good lumber.

Dave Shepard

I think the bugs will be in it soon. I'd salvage if its got good logs in it, if it were mine.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ox

I've had quite a few of my red pines snapped off at the top from ice storms.  They're still growing fine, just the tops look a little funny.  I think luck has something to do with it, if yours will grow or die.  There's other reds right next to these here that are dead and look totally whole and were healthy.  Beats me.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Knute

Thank You. I realize  there is no definite answer and I will just need to decide.

Clark

100 years, maybe more. It would seem about anything can happen to a white pine and they keep on growing. You're really asking two different questions. If you want to salvage the maximum of usable lumber from it, then you should cut it soon. If you want the tree as a tree, leave it and it will continue keeping on.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Ox

That's a good answer, Clark.  smiley_thumbsup
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

porcupine

Last month I took down an 80 year old white pine. Wife noticed woodpecker signs on it so we decided to get the lumber before it went to far.

It was a "double" so 5 years ago I cut out the least desirable of the two leaving the stump at ground level.  Ants and other insects entered at that point.

We culled 350 bf and some real nice quarter sawn type boards from one log because the pith was offset a great deal and it produced wonderful lumber.

I believe if the bugs have an easy way in...they will find it.
Kubota M5040  2007
Kubota U35 Mini-Ex  2016
Brute Force 18-24 Firewood Processor 2022
Brute Force Grapple
Super Split HD
Logrite Cant Hook, Pickaroon
Stihl MS250, MS461, MSE 220
Lamar 16' Dump Trailer
Load Trail 20' Tilt Trailer

Thank You Sponsors!