iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

This is cherry right ?

Started by Daren, November 25, 2007, 09:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daren

A guy called yesterday and said he was doing some cleaning up in his timber behind the house and making firewood. He said he found a burl,  he would drop it off for me.
He stopped by a few minutes later and rolled this little piece out of the minivan. We looked at the rotting thing for a minute and talked. I know where he lives by the river and have stomped around near there and seen mostly mulberry/hedge/hickory/oak/walnut. I gave it a sniff and it smelled like mulberry to me (I have a cold).

He said it had been down for years, obviously, no sap or bark. The other similar trees around it had "scaly" bark, I am still thinking mulberry. We decide that is what it is, I thank him for thinking of me instead of just burn it and off he goes.

I looked at it again this morning and I am sure now it is cherry (my nose is not a plugged). I cut off a piece of burl and got a better sniff. He said the woods behind his house was "loaded with it" and some had gone down, those he was cutting for firewood. I am going to call him today and see if he needs any help clearing some of his junk  :D. I am going out there to pick up a hard maple log he wants sawn anyway, I don't normally fetch them but this guy is pretty nice. If he is up for it, we may take a walk in the woods.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Phorester

WDH

It does look like cherry.  Mulberry would be more yellow.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ARKANSAWYER

It is junk.  Let me come and get it so you do not have to worry about it any more.  :D  It is cherry.
ARKANSAWYER

SwampDonkey

I was walking an old abandoned pasture today full of junk like that Daren. ;D There were some nice smooth cherry there also. Other than red maple and elm, the site was pretty well covered in alders. But, most of our cherry up here has black knot burls. Not too many nice ones.

I told my thinners to watch what they cut, that cherry around here is black cherry, not pin (fire) cherry.   :-X  >:( Got a response like, you guys have some weird species around here. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Don K

Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Thank You Sponsors!