iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

?your area's worst invasive plant?

Started by caveman, June 03, 2018, 08:25:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TKehl

Multiflora rose & Canadian thistle.  At least the goats eat the rosebushes, so we are making progress.  Sadly, they won't do more than nip the buds off the thistle.   :(

I've decided I like autumn olive.  Fixes nitrogen on our poor pastures and puts up leaves early giving forage for our goats.  It's only recently made it to our area, but I see a lot more now that I know what it is and look for it.  Looking forward to trying the berries this fall.   :)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Southside

Yup - Autum olive is a healer of the dirt for sure.  I even appreciate my Johnson Grass, learn to manage it and the cows do great on it.  

I don't know about goats but you can get cows to eat thistle, they learn to work it from the bottom up so the points don't jab them, about the same if not more nutrition than alfalfa with that giant tap root.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

caveman

I forgot to mention Lantana camara (our worst non-native Lantana).  It's green berries are very toxic to animals and people.  The leaves can kill livestock.  I have seen cows that have eaten the leaves and live but most times, the skin under their white hair will sluff off and they will be sick for some time.  This stuff can take over old citrus groves and establishes quickly in pastures.
Caveman

Don P

On the autumn olive, we had a berry buyer from NYC here a few years ago who bought about 35,000 lbs of berries and took them up there to make smoothies and other things, I think they were calling them lycoberries, might still have a webpage.  Don't think it took off or at least that was the last of it for here. They are a good antioxidant. One of our extension agents has said "If we ever offer a non native with berries as a wildlife food, RUN!"

I used to have a picture of a before and after of a erosion gulley "saved" by kudzu with the proud agent standing in front of his handiwork ::). I think it swallowed him moments later.

TKehl

Quote from: Southside logger on June 05, 2018, 04:28:22 PMI don't know about goats but you can get cows to eat thistle,

That would make sense as we don't see thistle in the pastures, just road ditches and crop fields.  I get along fine with Jonson grass also.

Goats will eat stems on multiflora rose and blackberry up to the size of a pencil, thorns and all, and I call Honey Locust "goat crack" the way they go after it.  However, I think they got to be more selective in the crop fields before planting and only took the buds off the thistles.  I've just been terrified of thistle taking over and have attacked it with gusto.  ;D

About half the invasives I see are great forage looking for something to eat it.  ;)  
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

pineywoods

Privet...privet. The local honeysuckle take up with the privet to make a mess that a rabbit couldn't wiggle through. Have to dig the stuff out, cut it off at ground level, and just makes more sprouts. 
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Texas Ranger

I was going to say "yankees" until I reread the title.  :D 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

thecfarm

I would like to see about 500,000 Yankees head down that way. ;D And stay.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

I thought the invasion into Texas was more from the land of fruit and nuts.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

btulloh

Quote from: pineywoods on June 06, 2018, 08:50:28 AM
Privet...privet. The local honeysuckle take up with the privet to make a mess that a rabbit couldn't wiggle through. Have to dig the stuff out, cut it off at ground level, and just makes more sprouts.
You're right about that.  Honeysuckle and privet together is a bad mess.
Treat those cut privet stumps immediately with anything that has triclopyr and they'll be gone for good.  Spraying the whole mess with some sort of Triclopyr will kill it pretty well too, but it takes more stuff and you're left with a big brown mess.

HM126

btulloh

Quote from: thecfarm on June 06, 2018, 02:43:20 PM
I would like to see about 500,000 Yankees head down that way. ;D And stay.
Our grit wall will keep that from happening.  :D
HM126

Don P

Roxie

Quote from: Don P on June 03, 2018, 07:15:16 PMmultiflora rose (what is the DuPont connection Roxie?)

On a visit to Longwood Gardens which was owned by Pierre S. DuPont in the 1800's, I learned that it was brought from Asia to establish hedges for livestock.  It was further used as root stock for other roses. 
Say when

WDH

Quote from: thecfarm on June 06, 2018, 02:43:20 PM
I would like to see about 500,000 Yankees head down that way. ;D And stay.
It has happened before.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mike_belben

Quote from: Southside logger on June 03, 2018, 09:23:11 AM
Around here it's the City Transplant that causes the biggest problems.  
I was gonna say yankees and their 401k.  
Praise The Lord

wisconsitom

Here in east-central Wisconsin, common buckthorn, hands-down.  No other plant has the shade tolerance, fruiting (seeding) ability, allelopathy (soil-poisoning), crowding-out ability of common buckthorn.  Ruining forests right and left.

I have said to our state's DNR leader on exotic invasives...on a popular public radio show...that for one penny to be spent on a host of minor players, all the while pretty much having given up on the buckthorn...is a crime.  My comments were not popular on that show that day.

wisconsitom  

ps...where my woods and tree farm lies...58 miles due north of my driveway apron, there is no buckthorn.  Yet.
pps...the Texas guys sure seem insecure!
Ask me about hybrid larch!

Hyrb

Chinese Privet
Japanese Privet
Yankee Privet
Mexican Privet
California Privet

and  Nandina  Lots and lots of Nandina

Rhodemont

Green Briar (ouch) and sweet pepper bush.  
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

Klunker

On my place, Bush Honeysuckle.
I've got the Garlic Mustard under control and its declining rapidily.
Buckthorn was just getting started, I have knocked it back significantly. It'll be rare in another year.
The Bush Honeysuckle is thick in 2-3 spots but there are plants everywhere.
Next summer I'll start putting a heavy hurt on it.

Trouble is with all these its a continuous battle.
Gotta keep after them, can't ever stop and think your done.

mike_belben

Pith poor red maple is out breeding all the hardwoods around me.  

Also bush honeysuckle. Seems mostly limited to steep well draining slopes, unlike the maple.   
Praise The Lord

reelman65

In NGA, Kudzu for plant and sweetgum for tree
75 Acres of hardwoods that i want to try to optimize for HW growth, health and habitat. Also interested in creating a few small stands of fruit/nut trees and sample of different native species

Ljohnsaw

Interesting thread.  Down here (Sacramento valley), it would be Star Thistle.  It thrives on sparse watering.  The edges of pastures have walls of this nasty stuff.  Goats seem to like it but causes big issues with horses.  Lots of water seems to do it in but then nut sedge takes over  ::)  Blackberries take over wherever the is an opening in the canopy.  Trees would have to be privet.  It pops up everywhere!

Up the hill at 5,800' elevation, there doesn't seem to be any non-natives surviving.  Just the Incense Cedar will take over as it is very prolific at that elevation.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

yetti462

Callery pear.  This crap is spreading fast and hard to control.  I'd rather have multi-flora rose than this. 

nativewolf

Quote from: reelman65 on February 03, 2019, 09:20:32 AM
In NGA, Kudzu for plant and sweetgum for tree
I mean sweetgum is prolific but it is not invasive..just a hardy native maybe poking north of traditional range a bit as things warm up.
Liking Walnut

frazman

Our invasive species is Red Bartsia. It came from Germany back in the 1950 as crating straw for our Canadian Armed Forces base not far from here. It spreads in our hay fields , pastures and road side. This weed is very hard to control. Most people find it to be a pretty redish/purple flower in the fall time but there is nothing pretty about this plant. When I see small patches in my hay field , I will go out and pull the plants and burn them before the seeds fall to the ground to multiply...

Thank You Sponsors!