iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 142 dead in the water

Started by ty1220, November 19, 2008, 08:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ty1220

Howdy all, I have a question about this saw that has me perplexed. This is a newer ( 2007) saw that looks like it has barely ever been ran. It's one of those E- Bay specials, they advertised it as non starting which is true.  :-\  I got it and it has ok spark, the compression feels good but it won't kick over no matter what you do. Even on starting fluid it doesn't even attempt to fire. I have done my fair share of mechanic work but I am not up so much on 2 strokers. If it had been ran and siezed would it likely still fire with good spark and compression ? I am assuming that with spark, even if somehow it was way out of time it would still kick back or do something when cranked ?  I am at a loss here, all comments and advice are appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.

tyb525

Sounds like something might be plugged up, such as the carb, or maybe the spark isn't hot enough. I'm sure someone else will have input.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

ty1220

Thanks for posting back. I did wonder about the spark, it looks ok to my old eyes but I wonder if it could be weak. Thanks again

cheyenne

Check to see if the fuel line is cracked in the top of the housing, chock hanging but i'll bet it's a bad carb. Huskey had a lot of problems with the carbs in the last few years. May fall under recall....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

sawguy21

Remove the muffler and check for piston/cylinder damage. As long as it has spark and compression it should fire with a squirt of gas down the throat. If it fires and quits, it is a fuel system problem. If no go, check the spark and replace the plug with a new one properly gapped.Ether is a no no, it washes the lubricant off moving parts and dries the crank seals.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ty1220

Thanks for the posts back all. I hadn't thought about that with the ether, good thing to remember. I'll tinker with the saw  later today and see what happens.

rebocardo

Make sure the fuel filter is staying at the bottom of the tank.

Thank You Sponsors!