iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Farmi JL 290 skidding winch on a Kubota BX22?

Started by Wallys World, May 07, 2007, 10:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wallys World

Has any one out there put a Farmi JL 290 skidding winch on a Kubota BX22 TLB. I have the backhoe off and the 3 point hitch on. I have the loader on. The hitch will support the weight, the winch weighs 370 pounds. I don't plan on skidding the logs out attached to the winch, I plan on parking the tractor so I can pull the logs out and over a small creek so I don't have to build a bridge over it. I'll skid them out using my arch with the JD Gator or JD 445. It will be about a 100 foot straight shot to the tractor. I several places like this on the property and welcome any suggestions. Logs would range from 12" - 30" in diameter, Red Oak, White Oak and Tulip Poplar. I would probably keep them under 12 foot.    Thanks.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

thecfarm

I have the regular BX18hp for a glorfied lawnmower and put a snow thrower on the back in the winter time.It might handle the small ones OK,but those 30" ones will really make it work.Is there a incline it will have to pull the logs up?That would be hard on it.That tractor hp is not all that much to do that with it.I'm glad to hear you say you won't be pulling them out with that.Too bad you couldn't put a sledding cone on the front of the log to keep it from digging into the ground.Seems like someone had a link on where to buy these.Have you done this before with a winch?You may have to pull the logs sideways to get it out of a bad spot.Straps are real good for this.Saves the tree.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

moosehunter

I think with a 30 in oak log you may well end up pulling a BX tractor to the log instead of the other way around ;D
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

arojay

There are skidding cones on ebay.  I search 'skidder'.
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

beenthere

Get the salesman to give you a demonstration of the winch. Ours will do that anyway. It is amazing what a small tractor can do with a winch, IMO. As mentioned, pulling them over is one possibility.

But all in all, weight of the pulling tractor and in the loader bucket is important, along with enough engine power. I'd think you would be able to do it, but hope you can get pics of trying it with a demo winch.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pineywoods

When you start pulling the tractor to the log instead of moving the log, use a snatch block to double the line. don't do like I did. Backed the tractor against a tree and promptly busted the winch housing and drive gear.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

thecfarm

Have him demo it where you plan on using it ,not in a parking lot.I'd like to see it too. ;) I have heard how some of those small tractors "work"in the woods.When you start to try to winch something that weighs almost as much as the tractor you are in trouble.I use to use my 40hp Ford in the woods daily.Takes alot of hp and weight to do it without breaking something.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Wallys World

I know that it is a small tractor and it maybe taxed to its' limits. I can always go back to my original plan and mill some timbers and planks and bridge the creek. I don't really want to do a wet crossing because the bank height is about 4 foot. I would have to dig down to make a level crossing and the probable errosion that would occour would not be good. At least it is only about 6 feet wide. That way I can pull the logs out with the BX and the arch. At least with the arch most of the weight is on it instead of the tractor. I have two areas like this on the property to deal with. I would just take the bridge apart and move it. But I'll try to find a dealer close enough to me to see if I can arrange a demo pull. Then the other thing -money for the winch vs. labor to mill and build bridge... Let's see..... :P
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

beenthere

I dug out some pics I took last fall at a demo of the Farmi_winch on a small New Holland. I don't remember for sure, but it was in the 20hp size.

Talking about the rig here.

Winching in a 20', 16" diam white oak log with no strain, on fairly flat forest ground, but against woody debris and tops.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jpgreen

I made a sled by cutting an old propane tank in half.  Used the other have for a snow plow..  ;D

Is the Farmi winch a pto or hydrualic powered?
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Wallys World

The Farmi winch is a PTO power unit. The only reason I was leaning toward the winch was I can keep my tractor on one side of the little creek (appox. 6 feet wide X 3-4 drop on the banks) and pull the logs over to me, then hook up the arch and finish pulling them out. I still might just crank up the mill and build a bridge.

RSteiner

The situation you may run into is the weight of the tractor vs. the material being pulled.  The winch will dig into the ground pretty well to counter the backwards movement.  Depending on the height the cable exits the winch will determine how quickly the winch will pick up the tractor. 

On my older Farmi the cable exits the winch frame at least 4 1/2 feet off the ground.  When the load pulled gets greater the winch can pivot on its gorund contacting feet / blade and lift the the tractor off the ground.   Some times the back of the tractor will be picked up and some times the front will be picked off the ground it depends on the situation.

You should be able to pull decent size logs one at a time with that set up.  Pick a pull route that has as few obstacles as possible.  The front of the log getting stuck on stumps, rocks, and humps in the ground is what will make for may trips from the winch to the log to free it.  If you have hollows in the ground that the log can dive into put some smaller lengths of round wood in the hole perpendicular to the line of pull for the logs to slide over the hollow on.  If you have rocks or stumps in the way get some 3 or 4 inch diameter  poles 10 or 12 feet long and place them on the side of a rock or stump to guide the log around it.

If the approach to the stream is steep place a log along the bank to keep the logs from doing damage to the banks and so they will enter and exit easily.  As others have sadi a skidding cone will help some, anything to keep the blunt end of the log from digging into the ground will help.  Just pay attention to what is going on and you should be fine.

Randy
Randy

Max sawdust

Lots of good advice here 8)

I have my Farmi on my little ole Deere 855 with a front end loader.  30+" RO in 100" sticks is starting to push it.  Tractor positioning is critical, pull at a wrong angle while not watching your tractor you will pull it right over :o

In the past I put logs in my bucket to add weight to the tractor, and help keep the front end on the ground, but I learned from this forum, that you should run the cable through the lower block to lower the point of pull.  (Need to try that yet.)

I too only use it to skid logs to the trail, not for skidding to the landing.  However I find the winch indispensable as a felling aid, or to safely remove snags ;)

max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Thank You Sponsors!