iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

John Deere 790

Started by WAP Man, June 01, 2007, 01:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAP Man

I thinking about purchasing on of these to work my Chrismas tree lot with as well and putting a small winch on it to extract some 4 - 8 " diameter Balsam Fir and Firewood. The darn thing is quite expensive  so I wanted to check to see if anyone has some experience with  with this set up in the woods. I realize it's not a big one ( 27 hp ) however it's 5 ft wide which should help me manuver it around , any thoughts ..............

WAP man

beenthere

Welcome to the forum.
Should work fine, as long as you stay within its limitations (that 4-8" diam is well within the limitations). Hopefully you will have a front-end loader.
I have a similar size (hp = 32) and get good size logs out with it.
I don't have a winch, but do use a quick-tach hitch on the 3pt, with logging tongs.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum WAP Man.Should do fine for something that size.Get the loader and the 4WD.Good luck.Almost forget,see what beenthere has for tires,get at that kind,don't get those tuff tires.I myself would prefer the Ag tires,just depends what you are going to do with it and how much.I would also suggest loading the tire or weights for the tires.But there again just depends how much twitching and loader work you are really going to do.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

What thecfarm said. I have the R4's on my Kubota L48 (similar to beentheres) and they are a good choice for tractionand when you have to work on someones lawn, as I often do. I would also highly recommend ballasting the tires, loaders can be tricky without it. See if you can find beet juice or old anti freeze from a junkyard, they won't rot the rims.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Mooseherder

My brother has a 790 with a homemade cab and heater. Door comes off for summer, it is on pins and is easily put on. Also attaches snow blower to the back for winter.  4x4 is a must IMO if your going to buy.

WAP Man

Thanks for the replies as well as the great welcome ! Yes I'll be getting a bucket with it and it's 4 wheel drive.  Nice pics with the replies.
I can retire from my government Forestry job in 3 years so I figure the 790 would be a great early retirement gift ;.Best yet .. it's wife approved .
Thanks again
WAP man

Thank You Sponsors!