iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skidding Logs with new (to me) John Deere 5203

Started by waynem3020, August 08, 2014, 08:46:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waynem3020

Was skidding some firewood logs last night with my new ( to me ) John Deere 5203.

JD5203 with a Wallenstein FX90 winch, EZ Boardwalk Jr., PSG Max Caddy, Timberwolf TW-5FC, Stihl MS391

logman81

Precision Firewood & Logging

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

goose63

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Deese

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

thecfarm

That looks mighty good. And than some. How many Hp is that critter?
What's the round thing on the guard for? I run 6 chokers on my winch.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Piston

AWESOME setup!   8)

How did you ever get by without it?   ;D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

timberlinetree

Nice rig! 8) Thanks  for posting. Forks or a grapple bucket on the Christmas list?
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

tmarch

I use the little brother to yours, a 5103, 50 HP.  I rarely skid logs because I have forks for the front and back, saves cleaning them when I get them to the mill.  If I do skid a log I leave it and debark it before milling.  They are a handy outfit to have for sure and yours looks near new so enjoy it 8) 8) 8) 8)
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

kczbest

Nice! I have a 5303 with FEL with 7' bucket and forks. I'm not as high tech as you though, I'm still using a boom pole to skid with.
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

thecfarm

kczbest,a 3pt winch is a mighty nice thing to own. Kinda like a sawmill.  ;) Yes,pricey,but they last for years.I brought one back in '93 and still have it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

waynem3020

Thanks, guys for all the replies! Yes it is an awesome setup ! How I got by without it ? Lots of chains and lots more exercise running back and forth through the woods carrying said chains.  :D
   As to the round thing - it is a cord reel with a 100' rope tied to the winch clutch rope. Don't use the rope all that much but is handy when I do need it.

The tractor was a 1 owner trade in I found at a local dealer. Has 125 hours on it, had 100 when I got it 3 weeks ago! ;D
  No forks or grapple on the Christmas list for now, maybe another year! ;)
JD5203 with a Wallenstein FX90 winch, EZ Boardwalk Jr., PSG Max Caddy, Timberwolf TW-5FC, Stihl MS391

Thank You Sponsors!