iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rottne?

Started by wannaergo, August 09, 2014, 09:16:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wannaergo

Right now we're looking for a new forwarder as our caribou is getting pretty tired. I hopped in a new rottne f15 yesterday, and I love the way the loader works. I'm just curious if anybody had had any experience in dealing with them? And if they are a reliable machine. The price is very reasonable, but the one thing that scares me is that the nearest dealer is 2 hours away, with only 2 field mechanics. Any input?
2016 Ponsse ergo 8w
2014 Cat 564
Husky 385

barbender

What did you love about the loader?
Too many irons in the fire

wannaergo

The loader just had a really great feel. The controls were really smooth.
2016 Ponsse ergo 8w
2014 Cat 564
Husky 385

barbender

I have never gotten where I feel I am "one" with the controls in the two Ponsse forwarders I have run. I haven't run any other machines to compare them to. Maybe it is because I come from the construction field, running excavators and the like that have pilot operated controls, but the Ponsse controls (electric over hydraulic) just lack feel. Others don't seem bothered by it, or notice, but it drives me nuts. Some days more than others. I am constantly adjusting my control settings in the computer, but I never seem to find anything that makes a marked improvement. Don't get me wrong, they are completely functional, I like to compare it to a race car. They are great full throttle, but hard to drive across a parking lot. When I am slinging full buckets of wood everything is great, when I have to slow down and sort one bad 4" pulp stick out of the pile things get frustrating.

wannaergo

I like the feel of pilot controls too. The rottne had a different feel from the ponsse controls, and I loved it. It kind of reminded me of pilot controls, maybe that's why I liked it so much
2016 Ponsse ergo 8w
2014 Cat 564
Husky 385

barbender

That's interesting. Well, I better not try one :) I've never seen a Rottne up this way anyhow. Not having nearby service is a deal breaker on CTL equipment, IMO.

barbender

I think the "feel" in pilot controls is the feedback they provide, maybe if the Ponsse joysticks were a bit stiffer so you had to push harder to move faster...then I would whine cause my wrists hurt I suppose ;D

Jamie_C

Rottne has lost ground up here to John Deere ... there's a lot of new JD machines up here, company I work for bought 3 new 1910E's

Hard to compare the "feel" of pilot operated joysticks to electric .... sometimes the little "mini" electric joysticks are pretty floppy .. you need to adjust ramp speed settings and hope for the best sometimes

snowstorm

the dealer in pa is factory owned. i have never needed a part they didnt have in stock. we do have a new dealer here in maine. i was there a couple months ago and they had just sold a new f15

Thank You Sponsors!