iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cat 521

Started by wannaergo, February 20, 2016, 09:02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wannaergo

Does anyone on here have any experience with these? Or a cat 522? I remember seeing a member that owned one. We are considering buying one with a satco 318 dangle head. Just wondering what people have experienced/seen/heard.
2016 Ponsse ergo 8w
2014 Cat 564
Husky 385

deastman

The guys around here that have 521's have had trouble with losing them to fire. What I've been told is that Cat didn't put a barrier between the hydraulic compartment and the engine compartment. A friend of mine tried out a new 521 this summer and was going to buy it but his insurance company told him not too, some of their other insureds with 521's had fires and they burned up. The insurance company recommended he go with a new Timberpro and he did. Evidently an investigator in the local insurance company who deals with forestry equipment figured out a problem that if there was no barrier between the engine and hydraulic pumps that there was a greater risk of fire. He contacted Timberpro about the problem and they flew him from Maine to their factory and wanted his input to make a design change. He also contacted Cat and they wouldn't even talk to him about it. That's what I've been told. I'm not trying to down Cat , I grew up around their equipment and I'm a Cat guy.
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

BargeMonkey

The guy cutting down the road here has a shiny new 522B with a logmax 7000 on it. he said he is afraid to use the factory installed pre-heater because of them burning up. It cuts alot of wood in a day,

Thank You Sponsors!