iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is the life expectancy of a mill cover?

Started by backwoods sawyer, October 07, 2009, 06:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backwoods sawyer

When I bought my mill it did not come with a mill cover, and over the years I have tried Plastic, Tarps, Those light-duty framed portable boat/car covers. So I am wondering how long the mill covers that woodmizer sells for there mills will last out in the elements. Not covering the mill is not an option for me.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

djoslin

The mill I purchased used a few months ago was a about a year old, the guy I got it from had the cover on it daily (the mill had 15 hrs. on it when I bought it) so the cover was on the mill 98% of the time and I have the cover on it right now. It still looks and feels new, they seem to be built well. I'm pleased with it. I live where the summer sun and humidity is tough on equipment here in North central Texas.

I hope this helps a little.

Djoslin

shinnlinger

A dog house for the works and slit PVC for the tracks sounds good to me...

One thing I know for sure....  blue tarps are a complete WASTE of money....
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Magicman

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on October 07, 2009, 06:36:26 PM
Not covering the mill is not an option for me.

I agree.  Thankfully, my mill came with WM covers.  They are now 11 years old, and will go many more.  Sure, I've re-stitched several places on the engine cover( around the exaust).  They are made out of a nylon (inside) reinforced  material that is "bad news".

Bottom line.....I highly recommend the WM covers.  You can't have covers made cheaper, and they certainly would not be made out of that quality material.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Rig

My Wood-Mizer cover was purchased in 1996 and is still in use. It has been outside since I got it, and it has been left in place sometimes when I trailer it. After all this time, it has some seams beginning to separate, but it still does its job.

Hope that helps.

SwampDonkey

In my area you can get a good quality tarp custom made and often cheaper than from the manufacturer. I had a tarp made for my brush saw for when traveling to keep bugs and dust off it. Nice bright orange.  ;D Only cost me $20 with draw strings.  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chuck White

My mill is a 1995 and the cover still looks like new, except a small spot where one of the former owners put the cover on before the muffler was cooled down!
I use the mill cover all the time, except through the winter, when I have the mill parked in the garage!

If you don't have a mill cover, I recommend getting one, they are good quality and heavy duty!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

florida

I can't tell you anything about WM covers but I've had a silver poly tarp covering my swamp buggy and then my mower for at least 10 years now. It's getting a little holey now but I stil think I got my 15 bucks worth.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

raycon

I won't be surprised if my mill covers out last the paint jobs. My mills are the color of lobster bisque at this point. Winter storage I put the PVC pipe on the rails as well.

I have two different style covers. One covers the whole mill head including the fuel tank etc. The other just cover the engine with separate covers for the control box and debarker.
Lot of stuff..

backwoods sawyer

Well since everyone seems to have had good life out of then I ordered a set. About four phone calls later, they got the right set on its way. First call, they sent out one for the wrong size motor, then they sent one out for the right motor, but it was just for the motor and not the head, third call, they got that part right and the fourth call, they realized that the control panel was not on the head. While I was at it I ordered a new chain master link and roller guides for the chain on the guide arm motor.
Having a proto type it dose not show up on there computer as one mill but rather tow mills and I cannot use there on-line ordering because my mill dose not have a number so they have an LT-40 listed so every time I order parts we have to go thru this same circus.
I wonder how many trips the ups driver will have to make to deliver it. My money is on three trips.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Magicman

Sorry about your "Proto Type" mixups, but you will definitely be pleased with the covers..... 8)

(I wish FF had a spell checker  :))
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Flatheadyoungin

the absolute best tarp i have ever bought was a used bilboard sign off of ebay...they are only 40 for, say, a 20x60 but shipping is about the same.....

even then it's large enough for several large items.......

they are thick, heavy mill plastic that is UV resistant.......

i had a hard time pulling the trigger the first time but now that i know the quality and how big they are.....i wouldn't bat an eye at getting another one....

ellmoe

Quote from: Flatheadyoungin on October 10, 2009, 09:30:50 PM
the absolute best tarp i have ever bought was a used bilboard sign off of ebay...

I use them to cover dried lumber. They last forever, are heavy so they stay in place ,and are cheap. I buy any I come across.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

backwoods sawyer

I have one of those over my lumber stacks. It takes a good wind to dislodge it. And is a chore to take off and put on, but has lasted real good. It is starting to get a bit brittle. I would like to have a few more of them.
The head cover arrived and is on the mill now, it still needs to relax a bit so that it will fit better.

backwoods sawyer

Well I was wro
Quote from: backwoods sawyer on October 09, 2009, 10:54:16 PM
Well since everyone seems to have had good life out of then I ordered a set. About four phone calls later, they got the right set on its way. First call, they sent out one for the wrong size motor, then they sent one out for the right motor, but it was just for the motor and not the head, third call, they got that part right and the fourth call, they realized that the control panel was not on the head. While I was at it I ordered a new chain master link and roller guides for the chain on the guide arm motor.
Having a proto type it dose not show up on there computer as one mill but rather tow mills and I cannot use there on-line ordering because my mill dose not have a number so they have an LT-40 listed so every time I order parts we have to go thru this same circus.
I wonder how many trips the ups driver will have to make to deliver it. My money is on three trips.

Well I was off by one trip. I finally received the last piece of this order today when the UPS driver made the fourth trip on the same order, 19 days and several phone calls later. I am just glad that this was not an order where I was broke down waiting on parts. That would have been very costly.

petefrom bearswamp

WM covers are very good, blue tarps last about a year.
as far as the rails go, I shut down in the winter and spray the rails with whatever spray paint i happen to have a little of.
Last year I forgot to drain the lube Mizer and broke the filter bowl,  moderately expensive and a lesson learned.`
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

Quote from: petefrombearswamp on November 02, 2009, 05:55:17 PM
Last year I forgot to drain the lube Mizer and broke the filter bowl,  moderately expensive and a lesson learned.`
Pete

If I even suspect that the temperature is going to drop below freezing, I "Purge" the LubeMizer with windshield washer fluid.  Prestone is rated for -34* F.  I also mix one gallon of it with 5 gallons of water plus the 10 oz of Cascade during the winter.  That way, I can use the LubeMizer with no freeze ups.  (Of course I live in Mississippi.... ;D)

SwampDonkey

If it gets that cold down there, it's time to move. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

solidwoods

I like the Dog house type because plastic will trap moisture under it and moisture is what you are trying to avoid.
That's minimum.
When you look at the price of a mill and the fact that it makes boards a shed roof makes better sense because a shed provides sun protection when milling on site.
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Magicman

But, when you are 100% portable, you have to use covers.

backwoods sawyer

When the mill is at home there is no place to put up a shed that I can get the mill into and still leave room to get the motor home, and boom truck past when pulling them out. (We all do not have unlimited acreage) so a mill cover seems to be the best choice. I have one of those flappers on the exhaust and it was putting a lot of pressure on the cover so I cut the top off a large brake fluid jug, and have been placing it over the exhaust before putting the cover on. I still have a pressure point where the scale on the mast has a sharp corner that I need to find something to help smooth it out with.   

Lud

Don Rupert, the Ohio guy for Simplicity Sawmills,  realized the value of a good cover for the product and started getting them made here by the Amish.   Good heavy vinyl and very reasonable.   I've been spraying it with AmourAll once a year and holding up well.   It fits well.

I keep thinking about covering the mill with a shed but I'm waiting for inspiration on the "perfect" design for my particular layout.
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

JD350Cmark

Backwoods -

I started using cardboard on the mask.  Then I got tired of it slipping off everytime I covered it.  So I made a cardboard box to fit around the mask and taped it up to make it a little stronger.  I have had to replace the cardboard box once in 4 or 5 years.  I got a WM cover with the mill and I also keep a blue tarp over the black WM cover when it sits.  It keeps the sun off the cover and so it still looks like new.  I don't think you have that problem up there..  On the bed;  I put a 2x2 along the rail and cover the bed with 1x or scrap plywood and then cover with a canvas tarp.  The wood does two things;  it keeps the tarp from filling up with water and sagging and also keeps the tarp from touching metal with keeps the moister down on the metal parts.  The cover is heavy, but I roll it down towards the extension and leave there rolled up on it.  It sounds like a lot of work...It adds about 10 min to the day.  If I were milling every day, it would get old real fast.  I would like to build a cover, but keep thinking I'm gonna move the mill...  It's still parked in the same spot from when I brought it home.  I've got ideas for one though..
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: JD350Cmark on November 05, 2009, 10:41:47 AM
I started using cardboard on the mask.  Then I got tired of it slipping off everytime I covered it.  So I made a cardboard box to fit around the mask and taped it up to make it a little stronger.  I have had to replace the cardboard box once in 4 or 5 years. 

My first thoughts were of a plastic tote that would fit, as the bottoms of them are rounded. I may have to cut one down to size.

backwoods sawyer

There are several sharp points that I was concerned about the cover snagging on when I take off and put on the cover every day. I got to looking around for something that would help to protect the cover from them and found an old wool lined, canvas horse blanket. I have been putting it on the mill then putting the cover on and it seem to help round off and soften all of the sharp points that the cover was resting on.

Thank You Sponsors!