iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tool picture, anybody know what it is?

Started by sdunston, November 14, 2009, 12:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdunston

I was at an auction a few weeks ago and this tool was in with some flat belts and pulley's the auctioner said it had come from an old sawmill. I can not figure out what this is or even if it is related to logging or sawing(maybe some sort of big log roller). It has 2 arms that have a notch that looks like a chain could go into and make a loop and a spot that looks like a wooden handle could go into.
HELP ???
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

zopi

My guess is a chain wrench..either for putting chain under tension or for rolling big logs that a cant hook won't span...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Bodger

Work's fine for killing time but it's a shaky way to make a living.

D._Frederick

I have one that my grand father used to clear land with at the turn of the  past century. It is used with a log chain and a long pole and has good mechanical advantage, requires 2 persons to operate effectively.

Dave Shepard

It is a form of chain come-along. I have one on my garage wall, also without a handle.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sdunston

Also I would say by the casting and the fordge welded ring it dates to the 1800's.
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

pineywoods

Chain winch or chain come-along. I have one. with the right size chain, it works just as well as the so-called come-alongs
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

sdunston

Quote from: pineywoods on November 14, 2009, 06:56:12 PM
Chain winch or chain come-along. I have one. with the right size chain, it works just as well as the so-called come-alongs
OK how do you use it? And how long is the handle supose to be?
Sam

woodbowl

It's not a come-a-long or a RR binder. It is a barbed wire stretcher. At least that's what the old timers tell me. I've got one also. Mine doesn't have a handle and all the ones I've seen, they don't have a handle either. It makes me wonder if it even had a handle when it was new, leaving it up to the farmer to make his own.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

pineywoods

Mostly they were used just like woodbowl says, to stretch fence wire, But I have seen them used to pull other things, like stuck vehicles. Handles were usually about 6 feet long, made out of whatever the farmer had handy, it fit in the round socket. Tie the fence wire to the round ring, run a chain to some fixed object (fence post, tree, etc) Hook one of the hooks over a chain link, pull the handle to advance the other hook past to the next chain link. Repeat many times. Slow, but it worked. The one I have was obviously made by some backwoods blacksmith.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

jimparamedic

It is a come along as posted uses the same type of handle that a rail rad jack uses kind of looks like the handle of a cant hook works very well for pulling any thing you want as long as the muscle is there to do the work I use mine all the time work great as I said before

Bodger

I wanna change my vote, I think woodbowl's right

pigman

When I was a few years younger, my dad had one that we used to stretch woven wire fence. I am sure it could be used as a heavy come- along for any project. We had an eight foot wooden handle in ours.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Dave Shepard

I'm sure it was used as a fence stretcher, but it is properly a chain come-along. I've seen modern cable come-alongs used to stretch fence too. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Bodger

Seems like it would be not very practical as a come-a-long...would require a LOT of chucking and re grabbing of the item being moved. 

pineywoods

Quote from: Bodger on November 15, 2009, 10:08:20 AM
Seems like it would be not very practical as a come-a-long...would require a LOT of chucking and re grabbing of the item being moved. 

Not true, use a long chain. You can walk this thing up a 50 ft chain just as fast as using a come-along. It advances on both forward and backward strokes of the handle.

Bro. Noble

I agree with Pineywoods on the use of a chain comealong,  but this one in question doesn't look just right to me.  We have one buried under some junk in a shed somewhere and it looks the same as this except for the arms that grab the chain.  The one in the picture has one that looks to be modified and turned the wrong direction.  Maybe I'm just remembering wrong.  You guys that have one and can find it might take a look at them and see how they are made.  This one might have been modified just for the purpose of stretching fence?
milking and logging and sawing and milking

sdunston

Thanks guys, I went out and tried it as a comealong and it is slow but that thing with a 6 foot handle would pull anything. I think it was one of those tools that had many uses around the farm, And it still looks great hanging on the wall ;D Bro.Noble, the arms can be turned eather direction, the nuts and bolts on this one are still free. I bet you could get wire fence tight enough it would play music 8)
Thanks  Sam

beenthere

I'd sure like to see a pic of it (or a similar one) in "operation mode".  Doesn't look quite right for the purpose attributed to it. IMO.

For me, close but no cigar.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

D._Frederick

The picture of the one shown is correct, the two chain grabbers face each other, in use one is hooked into the chain and then handle is moved in the direction to pull on the chain, When it is moved far enough the other grabber is hooked into the chain and the first on released. The handle could be any length that was manageable, the mechanical advantage could be greater than 100 to 1. There is nothing on the market that is carriable that has this kind of power.

park ranger

So if I understand right the chain would be pulled then slack then pulled from the other side.  So it would kind of work from the center of the chain and bring the two ends together?  If I get this thing figured out I'd be making one right off.  This kind of old simple stuff is really neat.

shinnlinger

I have one of these things but had no idea what it was until now.  Intrigued, I just walked out to one of my junk piles in the woods to try to fetch it, but  it is dark and as I poked around  with a flashlight, a coyote  about 50 feet away let loose with a wail that made me reconsider finding it tonight.  There is some rumpus going on in the woods off in the distance right now, but I guess this one wasn't invited and wanted to keep me company.  No thanks...I like you folks better....

Did find a good peavy head that I didn't know I had till I thru it at the coyote.....  The sheep don't seem to phased by it though....
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Chico

We used to use them to pull chains offset log chains across booms or in troughs  close enough to get links in it It has several uses It can be used to put press on a log being pulled up a ramp you can use it as a comealong It 's old I'd guess 1880 or so
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

D._Frederick

Park Ranger,
The chain never goes slack when pulling, you pull with one chain grabber as far as it will go, then hook the other grabber in and release the first one. You just kind-of walk down the chain.

Ianab

You can actually still buy that sort of thing new, very usefull fencing tool.

http://www.agritech.org.nz/hayes.shtml#Wire%20Strainer%20-%20Smooth%20Grip%20Chain%20Grab

That page also has pictures of the complete system, with the chain and either hooks or clamps to connect it to the wire and anchor point.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!