iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 260 vs. 270

Started by buckthorn, March 24, 2004, 08:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckthorn

I'm looking at these to take over for our 025, which is a bit low on power for our growing needs. It seems that the 260 has a long track record and good reputation. The 270c and 270cqs are newer, have similar power to the 260, but add some convenience features; i.e., the quick chain adjuster (270c) and the QS brake -- at the cost of some extra weight. Does anyone here think that either of these features is worth it (the quick chain adjuster seems real handy)? The 260 is also more expensive -- is this because it is made of more durable materials? What else distinguishes these two models? -bt

oldsaw-addict

Hi buckthorn Welcome to our forum!

Provided my information is right, the MS260 is a PRO grade saw made for daily use all day every day.The MS270 is, I think, a lighter duty saw made to be used for less severe duty operation than the MS260 is. Also I am pretty sure you can spend a few bucks and get one of those quick chain adjusters. I may or may not be right on the money about the differences but I am sure I am at least semi close to being right.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

HORSELOGGER

If your gonna spend some money for a new saw and are looking for more juice than your 025, your not really helping yourself with either saw your looking at. The 025 is actually one of the better "non pro" saws that Stihl makes. I have one from the first year they came out, and I also have the ms260 pro. I hate the 260, its a little dog. I opened up the 025 muffler and it is hardly noticeable wether one cuts any better than the other.If your looking for more power, you wont notice a diference without going up to the 60cc plus range IMO
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

jrb34

I just bought a 270, after considerable agonizing over the 250/260 question. I ended up with the 270 because it has noticeably better anti-vibration than either the 250 or the 260, and because my Stihl dealer has sold a number of them to previous 260 owners who pretty unanimously prefered the 270's smoother cutting style.

The QS feature I didn't get--at 11.6 pounds the saw's already crowding the weight limits for a 50cc saw, and the QS model is, if I remember correctly, almost a full pound heavier, in which case you might as well go with a 361.

The quick-adjust chain-tension feature works fine, but I can't see that it's significantly faster than tensioning the chain conventionally with a scrench. Especially if you factor in the extra complication in taking the thing apart to invert the bar versus the simpler disassembly of the conventional side-adjust bar, though maybe I'll get faster at this as familiarity grows.

The 280 is built on the same chassis as the 270 and turns about a half-horse more from the same weight, so if you're looking to up-power past 3.5 hp but don't want to spend $180 extra for the 361, you might want to try one of those.

A good dealer should give you a seven-day trial; if you don't like the way it handles, you can take it back. Note, though, that the 270 (or for that matter most new saws) won't begin developing its full power until after a dozen or so tanks of gas run through it.
JRB

buckthorn

Thanks for the replies. I might be leaning towards a 280 for a little extra power (vs. the 260-270). The 361 (and 60cc saws) seems a little out of my league. I'm doing a lot of work moving around on crowded hilly terrain, and need to draw a line someplace with respect to weight and power. I know the QS adds weight, too -- about 1/2 lb. I'll have to do a trial run (with the proviso about less-than-full-power in mind) and see how it handles.

Rocky_J

QuoteA good dealer should give you a seven-day trial; if you don't like the way it handles, you can take it back. Note, though, that the 270 (or for that matter most new saws) won't begin developing its full power until after a dozen or so tanks of gas run through it.
Good info in your post, but I gotta quibble with this particular statement. I have never in my life met a chainsaw dealer willing to take back a chainsaw after it has been used for a week. It is a big loss for the dealer, as no one would buy it for full price. The dealer would have to substantially discount it in order to sell it after it has been used.
In fact, I have never had the pleasure of finding a dealer willing to allow customers to test run a new chainsaw. You do not get fuel in the saw until after you buy it.

jrb34

I don't know if the seven-day return (not refund) offer was a Stihl-backed promotion or if it was specific to that particular dealer. Nonetheless, the dealer did very specificially offer it, and if I had found the 270 not to my liking I certainly would have taken it back and come home with a 260.

The 260 I tried, by the way, belonged to a friend, not the dealer. I thought it was a great little saw, but the difference in vibration between the 260 and the 270 was very noticeable. Both had RS chains, by the way, so any differences in perceived vibration should have been attributable to the saw only. And the 260 was fairly new so the anti-vibe bushings should have been in good shape. It's just 2002 technology versus 1988 technology.

I'm not thrilled about having to lug an extra pound around the woods, but the housing on the 270 is more streamlined than the 260 and seems to have fewer arguments with limbs and the like while cleaning up a tree, and I like the way it balances in my hands better--which is of course subjective, but then most of purchasing is.

Curiously, the dealer himself owns an MS280 but thinks the 270 is better balanced and a better runner. More subjectivity. Still, I like mine well enough, and will try to let the warranty run out before I begin wondering how it would run with a little hot-rodding.

JRB

Thank You Sponsors!