iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hey.. where'd my sycamore go?

Started by mrector, September 19, 2014, 03:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrector

Here's a story from back in January of 2013.

We had some large amounts of rain around middle January and the New river came out of its banks quite a bit. Me and my son took the truck down to the families land on the river to check things out. There had been a huge sycamore tree deposited on the main river lot. Whole tree, no bark, no telling how long it had been underwater. 
So I proceeded to saw it up that day into 10' logs, main butt log was around 30" diameter.  Got 6-7 decent logs cut up. We left with intentions of coming back with arch and danG log loader trailer to reteieve it. But got stalled about 3 weeks.
  When I did get time to go reteieve them I loaded up the trailer and arch & headed down there. But, to my surprise every single log was gone.. I instantly thot some crack head had came and stole it for firewood. I thot good luck splitting it buddy :)  Then I realized we had a decent rain couple nights before, "no way.." I thought, " it didn't get up out of the banks.. did it?
Proceeded to hike down river and lo-and- behold.. found one log, about a 18" diameter one. Yep... my sycamore went down river after second flood. So I opened a beer and sat on tailgate. I didn't even bother with the one log...
The end
:) :)
I thot I would share my lil funny story.  Sorry its so long
Mikey
Woodmizer LT35HD25 brand new!
Stihl 044 and my favorite: ms260 pro
Homemade logging arch
Homemade hitch log picker-upper
DanG Deadheader log loading trailer.

Weekend_Sawyer

Good story, I guess the river gives and takes away.  :)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Dave Shepard

Flood waters can do some amazing things. This tractor was facing about 90°CCW and on level dry ground. There was almost no water in the stream the night before and it came up over six feet, and then back down in 24 hours. We took the engine apart fearing that there was silt in there, as well as the hydraulic system, fuel tank and rear end. No water got in anywhere.! :)

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SAnVA

After Hurricane Hugo, I cut a white pine into 9-8ft. logs, butt log was 4ft. diameter and to big for my MF135 tractor , I had to split it to move it. This pine with root ball attached and a few limbs washed almost a 1/4 mile downstream before ending up on our property. The stream or creek usually dries up in the summer time and you can almost jump over it in some spots when it is running but it can sure get big & nasty at times , hard to believe a stream can change so quickly!

Thank You Sponsors!