iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Too Heavy ??

Started by Magicman, November 29, 2017, 12:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

I'd do it.  ;D

My little mill maxes out at 36", but as you can see I didn't move the log very far from the stump. Tractor could lift one end of the log to swing it around clear of the stump, and slip some bunks underneath, then set the mill up around it.

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

kelLOGg

I halved a 34" water oak with my 20" Husky and doubt I will ever do it again with a small saw. Took 2.5 hrs. Great wood and worth the effort.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

nativewolf

Quote from: Ianab on November 29, 2017, 10:05:28 PM
I'd do it.  ;D

My little mill maxes out at 36", but as you can see I didn't move the log very far from the stump. Tractor could lift one end of the log to swing it around clear of the stump, and slip some bunks underneath, then set the mill up around it.

Those big logs are where the swing mills really shine.  Nice log.  Besides at that weight they are not going to shift too much so you can even mill short stuff.
Liking Walnut

Kbeitz

Quote from: ljmathias on November 29, 2017, 09:01:48 PM

If you've ever sawed pecan, you know it gives new meaning to the definition of a hard wood. Probably ate up a dozen blades over the course of a week sawing all those pecan logs. Mill went through them real, real slow but hey, cutting a full-throat log is putting a whole lot of friction on the blade even with lube.  Ended up with mostly 1 1/2" slabs that I planned to make furniture and counter tops with. Long story short: after air drying a couple years, I found an entirely brand new meaning for the "hard" in hardwood. Couln't sand the slabs (too wide for a planar) and couldn't do anything to smooth them down. To this day, I have a few dozen of these slabs waiting for me to buy a humongous planar that can handle them. Keep waiting, pecan, your day will come (or not).

LJ

Google router plane.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

John S

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the mill is rated for a load of 4400lbs.  I would not risk my investment, but that's just me.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

WDH

The really big ones just tear stuff up. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LaneC

BOOOOM. Blow it in half. I think a pound of ffff powder is 20 something dollars. Go to you tube and type in" blowing log in half with gunpowder." I have some cannon fuse if you need any. Matter of fact, I have some powder too. Let me know if you want to try it.
Man makes plans and God smiles

dgdrls

Quote from: Ianab on November 29, 2017, 10:05:28 PM
I'd do it.  ;D

x2   swingmill ;)

ljmathias

Kbeitz: thanks for the idea on router planes. Great for making grooves and fixing/smoothing dado cuts. Not sure how a hand-drawn groove cutter helps make pecan flat- maybe there's something I'm missing?

Interesting development regarding pecan. I decided to build an end-table to put my books, computer, phone and "stuff" on next to the couch I usually work on. Explored my stacks of dry wood, some 5-6 years drying, some since Katrina. Found some light weight yellow poplar I forgot I had- just the right width to double up for the table. Planed them and measured one board at 12 feet =  enough for all the shelves ranging from 12" to 22" to 36" so that's great. Had another piece I thought was also poplar- color about the same but t little darker. Planar smoothed it nice so I cut it into thirds to make the legs. When I started screwing it all together I realized my mistake: pecan! Ouch. Too late in the day to find another poplar board so decided to muscle through. Broke off several screw heads and one drill bit, stripped three drive bits but finally was able to set screws (most of the way anyway) with enormous effort pushing as hard as I could so the driver would keep spinning the screw and not just the bit rounding out the screw head. Whew, what a job. Finally got it finished and only took me about twice as long as it would have with all poplar boards. Good news: those pecan legs will never split or give in any way, locked in with multiple screws held tight by the hardest wood I have access to...

BTW, you all probably know this but pecan is the outcast brother of the outcast hardwood hickory. Make beautiful furniture if you have the right tools and your hands and arms don't fall off. Mine almost did, and I'm sitting here aching from the effort and trying to figure out why I didn't just pull another board.  >:(

LJ
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Southside

ljmathias,

Guys will use a router plane, think end mill for wood, set the bowed slab up so it won't move, then put a frame around the slab.  That frame serves to hold a sled in which the router rides both across and along the board.  The router bit is below the sled and comes in contact with the wood, depth is controlled via the router plunge depth.  Then you make passes back and forth over the slab removing material as you go.  In reality you are surfacing the material not planing it, but the end result is the same.

If you set up your slab right, off set the high and low points, and have enough material to work with you can end up with a flat surface when it's all said and done. There are videos on youtube showing guys doing this.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ianab

A better description is a "Router Bridge".  The plunge router is mounted on a "Bridge" of some sort, so it can be moved back and forth above the board. As long as your rails are straight and parallel, everything over a certain level gets skimmed off, leaving a perfectly level surface that just needs a bit of sanding.

They can be varying sizes and complexity, This is my rig on the frame of my old mill.

v

You don't need that fancy, lots are made simply from plywood with the router sliding in a U shape bridge. Just it was the easiest option for me as the rails / height adjust / carriage etc were already there.  The swing blade mills even have the option of a "planer head" that replaces the blade with an oversize "router bit". Gives you a ~20 hp "router bridge for cleaning up slabs even faster.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

My option is still two weeks away, but if I can get it, I'm gonna saw it.  I'll jump butt it to get rid of the butt swell and let him load it onto the sawmill.  I will not split it nor buck it shorter.  It will all be sawn into 16' 2X8's for my own use.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

bridge repair material for at the tree farm?

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Kbeitz

They now sell a face cutting router bit with replaceable knifes for this job.

link
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ljohnsaw

Not sure how this topic morphed into router sleds, but here is mine.  Capacity is about 50" x 90":

Made it using angle iron and sliding glass door wheels.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Kbeitz

I'm gathering up stuff to put one on my saw mill bed.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

PC, yes materals for the farm.  The pier needs new joints and the barn needs work.  It is so seldom that I have access to White Oak that I cannot let this pass.  I got plenty of replacement bridge decking with the other logs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bigred1951

A white oak that nice big and straight around here would bring at minimum a $1 a bf. I'd cut it down load it up and sell it to a mill.

hopm

What would be on stump price?

BigBurOak

Here in the Hoosier State, it would be worth about 600-700 bucks if it graded average; top quality could go all the way up to 1200.
Who needs a gym if you got a woodpile?

Brucer

Quote from: John S on November 30, 2017, 07:57:10 AM
If I'm not mistaken, I believe the mill is rated for a load of 4400lbs.  ...

The hydraulic loader is rated for 4400 pounds. As long as you don't drop the log on the mill, it should take it.

Lynn, when I had my manual mill I managed to turn some "impossible" logs by dousing the bed rails and side stops with a water/detergent solution. It's amazing what a little extra lubrication can do.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

ljmathias

Didn't mean for this thread to morph into one on router sleds. Seems to fit given the topic of really big logs and what to do with them.

Thanks for all the information on the router use for cleaning up slabs. Never would have thought of that and looks doable. I'll see what I can fab up for one...

LJ
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

LeeB

Quote from: Brucer on December 03, 2017, 01:25:56 AM
Quote from: John S on November 30, 2017, 07:57:10 AM
If I'm not mistaken, I believe the mill is rated for a load of 4400lbs.  ...

The hydraulic loader is rated for 4400 pounds. As long as you don't drop the log on the mill, it should take it.

Lynn, when I had my manual mill I managed to turn some "impossible" logs by dousing the bed rails and side stops with a water/detergent solution. It's amazing what a little extra lubrication can do.

There's always time for lube.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

Thanks Bruce, I had not thought of lubing the bed rails. 

For some reason "slop your dripper" (Archie Campbell) came to mind.   :D

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Thank You Sponsors!