iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Marty the Zebara

Started by Robert Long, January 02, 2008, 07:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Long

Here are pics (hopefully) of The rocking horse (zebra) I carved for our grand daughter, Grace for Christmas.  The horse is bass wood and the furniture part is hickory. 8)

Robert

Robert Long

I DID IT !   

I was able to post these pics thanks to Jeff and Sprucebunny.

Jeff, I am sure you are proud of your problem student and his Mac.

Thanks to both of you for your tutorial help.

Robert

Furby

VERY, VERY cool! 8) 8) 8)
Both posting pics and the horse.
I'm guessing the horse itself is made up of more than one block of wood?

Robert Long

Right on Furby ;)

Yes, it's made up of many progressive blocks of bass wood, even the teeth are 2 pieces of an upper and lower plates.

Robert

Furby

So did you carve it as one piece, or carve each piece as you assembled it.
Just trying to figure out how you did it. ;)

metalspinner

That is wonderful, Robert. 8)

I am having trouble with scale on the picture.  Is this life sized? Or kid sized?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Jeff

A star picture postin pupil!

Thats a great great project. Very cool. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Robert Long

Thanks Jeff and WDH and all

It was fun to do this project, It took most of one year more off than on and had to be crunched to be done for Christmas.

metalspinner.....It stands 45" tall at the head and 45" long at the base of hickory.

It is Marty the Zebra taken from the Madagascar Move and I free hand carved the character from a promotion pamphlet.  The ears are leather and the main is frill material from a fabric store.

He is one of two I have carved for the grandchildren, I will try to post the other horse also.

Robert

Robert Long

Furby :P

Here is a picture I took some time ago when I carved a smaller doll rocking horse to get familiar with carving a horse.

you can see how I assembled the carved parts

;D ;D  I did it again!  (post a pic that is)

Robert 8)

sprucebunny

Robert, congratulations on your success with pictures  8)

And Marty is very handsome ! Grace is very lucky  8)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Furby

Robert Long

Thanks for your help sprucebunny!

Robert

trim4u2nv

I visited this museuem a few years ago they manufacture and restore old carousel horses.

http://www.merrygoroundmuseum.org/learninggallery.htm

Also house on the rock in wisconsin also has a huge collection of carousels carvings

Robert Long

Here are pics of the other rocking horse I carved for our Grand Son, Ethan.

It is more traditional with real horse hair and a real miniature leather saddle and harness.

This horse is carved poplar on a furniture rocker of ash wood
Robert

trim4u2nv

house on the rock links to carousel horses

Robert Long

trim4u2nv

Thanks for the site, wow,  it's out of my league!

I do hope some day to attempt such an undertaking  but I think it's a long way off to reach that level.

Robert

sgtmaconga

this is one of those times when i pick up my bottom jaw from the floor and say Dang thats purty.
Measure twice cut once

Dale Hatfield

awsome job on the horse carving

Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

trim4u2nv

The museum will let you see work in progress of the horse to be raffled if you buy some raffle tickets

http://www.merrygoroundmuseum.org/Slide%20Shows/slide24.dwt

Here is last years winner.  Couldn't get house on the rocks link to work.   But if you go to --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com  and search you will find many tourist photos if you search for "house on the rock"

WDH

Robert,

!!  Wow and double wow ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

asy

WOW That's so COOL!

I just LOVE rocking horses. I wanted to buy one when I first found out I was pregnant with my first baby, but my (then) Father-In-Law said he'd make one. He definitely has the skills, and just after my son was born he showed us the block carving for the head, it was truly magnificent. I was very excited.

As these things go (I don't think the man's ever finished a project in his life) My son is turning 14 the day after tomorrow. To my knowledge it's still not finished. Well, to my knowledge it's still a 3/4 carved head. Must admit it always annoyed me because whenever I saw a nice rocking horse I "wasn't allowed" to buy it for fear it'd upset the FIL...  Anyway... Back to the topic...  (sorry for the segue).

I'd love to see the giraffe from Madagascar done next, please...  :D :D :D

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

flip

Too cool!  I saw a carving show on DIY network that showcased people that did carvings, you have a lot of patience and vision.  Bravo!
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

SwampDonkey

Very nice work Robert. I could see why it takes so long to carve. First the size and second the details. I'd like to carve some things to, but miniatures. Just can't get kicked into gear.

I find that I like the really detailed carvings as most would, but I like the more rustic style just as well.

You have some very lucky grandkids.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

metalspinner

The expession on  Marty's face is the best.  How can you make a piece of wood smile at me?  That is what makes a craftsman become an artist. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!