iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

screwdriver my new number one tool

Started by milling man, September 09, 2008, 07:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milling man

Finally got  the call from a guy about cutting a few chestnut oak and black oak logs and I get there this morning get set up and the main engine will not start.  Now I just had the mill running yesterday at my place not trouble at all.  So I started checking everything out. We try a few things ( I am not a small engine mechanic) checked the lines and fuel filter everything ok. But still no deal will not catch. So we took the air filter off poured a few drops of gas do into the carburetor. And the engine would start, burn the few drops out, and then stall. So after about twenty times doing this, we decided to check the carburetor out. So to make a long story kinda short. I remember that I used to have to beat on my girl friend's starter on her truck with a hammer to get it to start. So the light bulb popped on and humm maybe just give it a little tap. Could not really hurt and, waa la engine just started right up. So tell me what you think, maybe the carburetor needle just was stuck after the 30 minute trip? 

tyb525

Our tractor will sometimes do that, and a bunch of light taps on the carb will usually fix it.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

sawmilllawyer

My guess is that the float which is on top of the needle was stuck and would,nt let gas in the carb. Happened every once in a while on the old er, I mean vintage mustangs
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Meadows Miller

Gday

I know what Your talking about  :D The Bloke who taught me almost  everything I know about petrol and desiel motors still says  in MY Day You took 4 tools with You two shifters 1small 1big a flathead and a phillipshead screwdrivers  and if You couldent get it running again YOU WHERE STUFFED ;) :D :D :D .

Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

bandmiller2

Usally its caused by too much slop in the float or its pin ,float is hanging up on the side of the bowl or its gasket.Be sure the gasket is trimed properly and pinch the float where it wraps around the pin with a pair of pliers,also alignment of the bowl to the main casting is important. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!