iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

6-71 diesel

Started by jdw, August 06, 2016, 11:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdw

Looking into a 6-71 anyone have info on the fuel usage? Running a saw and edger?

Satamax

Not yet sorry.

Tho, i hope you know they are noisy! Real noisy!
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

ozarkgem

I have never ran one but I would guess 4-6 gal per hr. We will see how close I am from someone who actually uses one.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

jdw

I know there loud but there a powerhouse. Plus I kinda like the way they sound lol ;D

Satamax

Quote from: jdw on August 07, 2016, 11:01:30 AM
I know there loud but there a powerhouse. Plus I kinda like the way they sound lol ;D

I have piled strawbales around mine. On three faces. About 3 ft away.  Cuts the noise a bit. I might be the only nutter in France, running a detroit genset!  ;D

Ran it a while yesterday. To power the saw. I'm having troubles! The RPM drop when i hit the delta ( triangle) position at startup!

Here's when i got it! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EmkLpbYiA0
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

jdw

Yep that's the sound of a Detroit  ;D

barbender

@Gearbox runs a circular mill powered with a DD at the local threshing show, I didn'the even realize it was a DD until I looked closely at the engine. They have the stack terminate about 12' up in the air, and it is amazingly quiet.
Too many irons in the fire

SineWave

Quote from: jdw on August 07, 2016, 11:01:30 AM

Lol, me too! I've got a Deutz air-cooled diesel on my engine driven welder and that sounds pretty sweet, too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0PY1te8DIM

Bert

I use a 671 on my Frick. It uses about 2 gal an hr governed at 2100RPM.
Saw you tomorrow!

Satamax

Quote from: Bert on August 08, 2016, 02:25:33 PM

Not bad!

I can expect less on mine at 1500rpm then!

ozarkgem

Quote from: Bert on August 08, 2016, 02:25:33 PM
better than I thought. Not bad considering how much you can saw in an hour
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Bert

No not bad at all. Fuel use has never been a complaint of mine. We do about 4500 FT in 6-7 hrs. Which includes shutting the mill off to cut up lumber to length and load logs on the deck. Alot of blocking but some grade and pallet boards.  Detroits are pretty common around here as power units. At least they were until everybody closed up shop due to markets :-\
Saw you tomorrow!

Satamax

Well JDW, sorry i'm hacking a bit your thread.

Is there anybody here, who know the causes of the emergency stop flap closing?

Yesterday, it stopped on me again. The temp was at 100C° normally it's more like 80C°/90C°

The blower casing was verry hot.

Or may be some of you know a troubleshooting chart somewhere on the net?

I have read and reread the manuals i have. And there is little on the emergency flap.

Thanks a lot guys.

Max.

ozarkgem

Quote from: Satamax on August 11, 2016, 07:22:29 AM

Yesterday, it stopped on me again. The temp was at 100C° normally it's more like 80C°/90C°

I have read and reread the manuals i have. And there is little on the emergency flap.

Thanks a lot guys.

Max.
I will look at mine but I wonder if the catch is worn and it is just not holding due to the vibration of the motor. I am really not sure how they are set up to trip during a runaway. How many hrs on your unit? Maybe you could find a used intake unit and replace the whole thing.

SPD748

Post a picture of the blower housing. Some are actuated by an air cylinder or electric solenoid. Most stationary engine flaps are manually activated either by remote cable or a small knob on the flap shaft itself. If it's arranged this way, there is a notch in the flap shaft that holds the flap open. That can become worn causing the flap to jump off the notch due to the vibration of the engine.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

Satamax

Hi guys!

Thanks a lot for your replies.

Ozarkgem, no idea on the hours.  It's a GM stamped detroit. Baring just a 6-71 N on the plate. It's been redone in the sixties or seventies with a french alternator. As the wiring clearly shows, it's not a fourties or fifties one.

But has some copper acid etched plates on the doors for maintenance and greasing plans, which bear a contract number from 29 june 1944. Hence my guess on the rebuild.

SPD748, it's actuated by a solenoid, visible on the left of the blower here.

Thanks a lot for your help guys. One detail. I'm running the radiator open, as i don't have a radiator cap. So the thermostat might not oppen?

Satamax

Thanks a lot guys.

Max.

Hi Guys.

Sorry for the digging.

Well, it's acting the same again.

I have downloaded some manuals.

One question thought, would you run it without the thermostat? (calorstat i don't know or can't remember the name of this part in english)  If this one is flakey. This would may be help. I want to keep hobby sawing. I saw a trunk every now and then. I sawed a cubic meter of wood yesterday. Might saw one or two more in the next fortnight.

Has anybody ever cleaned the  cooling circuit.  Sandplugs and all?

I would like to know how it's done.

Thanks a lot guys.

Satamax

So, checked if there was a thermostat, ans there's none un thé thermostat housing.

Tho, it's seemingly overheating. I realy dont know wha to do.

Obvious one, check the water pump. How?

Last year,  emptied the whole engine, coolant wasn't that bad. Rusty collor, but no mud.

Anybody knows where are the sand plugs?

Bert

Couple questions. What is the actual issue as im having a hard time following? Is it the blower flap? Air actuated or mechanical this is just a safety thats user thrown. If its closing when its not supposed to its no sign of engine trouble. For overheating, do you run a temp gauge? If no rad cap and no thermostat Id have to believe it would be throwing steam out even slightly above ambient temp.
Saw you tomorrow!

Satamax

Hi Bert!

Thanks for your reply.

It's solenoid actuated. Well, seemingly it overheats slightly. 100c° instead of the recomended 90c°.  And then the dang flap closes.  No thermostat. Radiator seemed to be clean. Last time i drained it. No sign of mud. I'm a bit stumped.

Satamax

I have a radiator cap. 7lbs one.

Bert

I dont think the issues are related at all. That flap is just a safety to stop a run away engine. I cant believe it would be tied to an overheating problem. Id take the solenoid off and just make it a mechanical flap. Something you could trip if the situation called for it. Its not a good thing for it to be closing. It will suck the seals out of your blower.
Saw you tomorrow!

Satamax

Bert, this solenoid actuated flap is linked to the temperature sensors. I think the best i can do, is buy a new  water pump. Drain the coolant, run water with a cleaning agent for some time. Then hose the innards. And get back to -35c° coolant.

bandmiller2

Max, that genset was left over from the great war. I would suspect restrictions in the cooling system. Checking the water pump is good form they are rebuild able but one that old should probably be replaced. The emergency shut down should be operable but not used, as Bert says its hard on the seals to trip. You could retain the solenoid but not have it tied to the temperature sensor. Unless that engine was modernized its an old two valve head with "J" injectors. You will always get smoke from it. Later detroits went to a four valve head and "N" series injectors, to cure its smoking habit. To clean the cooling system I use oxalic acid, run for a wile then drained flushed and neutralized with baking soda. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Satamax

Thanks a lot Franck.

Yep, ww2 genset. Modernized in late 60 early 70's.
Alternator is a french one. Of proper specs.  I wonder how i could test the pump. As well, i'm not asking much. 22kw. For a 80kw alternator.

If it gets all messy, i'll resell the 6-71. And use the unic V8 i gonna buy on a broken snowblower later tonight. Might even resell the genset, and ask a friend to resell me another alternator he has in stock.

Thank You Sponsors!