iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

purple blooms

Started by Lanier_Lurker, March 17, 2009, 10:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanier_Lurker

Sorry, I don't have a picture - but this may be an easy one for WDH or Dodgy.

Driving up and down GA400 every day, my eyes wander to all of the new blooms and buds popping out.  Mixed in with the numerous and unmistakable red maple blooms, I see a great many smaller trees (in some cases actually just large bushes) that have very distinctive purple blooms.

Any ideas, or will I need to get a photo or two?

Radar67

Since you are in Georgia, I believe they may be the same tree I'm seeing over here. I'm pretty sure they are Redbuds. I have a few blooming on my place and they are the only purple blooms I have seen.

Here is a picture from a recent thread I posted.

"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Dodgy Loner

Redbud would be my first guess, but they always seem more pink than purple to my eye.  Pawpaws are blooming right now, but they're not particularly abundant or showy and I doubt you would notice them while driving down the road.  I assume you're certain it's not wisteria?
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Tom

Could be Wisteria, Dodgey, ...........or ...... Kudzu.......   or ...... Paulownia, or Rhododendren, or wild azalea...  less it's too early for them up there :).

Lanier_Lurker

Redbud is probably it.

They seem to be quite prolific.

SwampDonkey

Wisteria, or weigelia? I'm familiar with weigelia, as it blooms twice a year in the back yard, the heaviest bloom in spring.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

If you had Wisteria, Swamp Donkey, you would definitely know what it was.  If someone were to whisper your street address while standing next to a Wisteria Vine in Florida, a root sprout would appear in your front yard within the fortnight.   If you didn't take notice, the vine would run beneath your house and raise it into the clouds by morning.  You might open the door and unexpectedly fall a thousand feet to your death, or, at least, turn into a giant.  :) :P

WDH

I bet it is redbud.  If you can get to a flower, the corolla will be zygomorphic, that is not symmetrical in 4 planes, kinda like a pea flower.  There again, redbud is in the pea family  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Tom on March 17, 2009, 08:25:52 PM
You might open the door and unexpectedly fall a thousand feet to your death, or, at least, turn into a giant.  :) :P

I better stick to weigelia then. :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Good.  We don't need you without your feet firmly planted on the ground  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

The first purple blooms I will see this spring will be those huge purple "stinking" trilliums as soon as the snow melts. Yup they stink. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!