iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Why not have parbuckle AND arch load capability

Started by kelLOGg, February 20, 2018, 08:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

I parbuckle onto my trailer as in the pic. 

Why couldn't I add an arch to the trailer that would lie on the bed of the trailer during travel? When I go to pick up a log and find that I cannot pull up parallel as in the pic I could back up to it and reposition the winch suitably, connect the arch to the log and pull the log up end first. If I could park parallel then I would just roll the log over the arch arms and onto the 4 x 4s in the usual manner. The 4 x 4s would keep the log weight off the arms as well as provide space for chains. I would have the option to parbuckle or arch-load. Parts of each loading technique could be designed so as to not interfere with each other. 

I know there has been a lot written on these forms of loading but has anyone incorporated both on their trailer? I read a 2007 post by DanG who said it was impossible to do both but why?

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Crossroads

I would think it you set the arch up so that it could be laid down flat out the back while the logs are par buckled over it. Then it could be tilted forward for travel. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

firefighter ontheside

I'm certain that a guy could do it......maybe not at the same exact time.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

TKehl

Not saying it can't be done, but different trailers handle each better.

A car trailer with low deck works best for an arch.  But if you want to parbuckle, you have to get over the fender & tires (extra bracing for extra height on the ramps) then either let the logs drop or raise the deck (some timbers crosswise will work).

Deckover trailers are perfect for parbuckle as you've already cleared the tires, but unless there is a dovetail, I think they would be too high for an arch.

If you want both, I'd start with the car trailer and bring extra equipment for parbuckle.  I'm planning to do just this.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Crusarius

I think it would be pretty easy. I have thought about the same thing. the other thought was an arch that could be moved to the sides to load that way.

DanG

There is no reason you couldn't do that on the trailer you have. I just couldn't easily parbuckle onto the trailer I had at the time.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Crusarius

build the arch right and it can flip right on top of the log pile and be an additional holder.

redneckman

The trailer that I have is a older Hudson trailer that uses the low profile tires (like a mobile home tire, but not).  The one in the pic below is not mine, but one like I am talking about. This trailer is very low to the ground, and going over the side would not be a problem, since there is no fenders.  Personally, I think I would rather winch up from the end with a arch (seems safer to me).   

goose63

This boom will lay down but I need help lifting it back up DanG thing is heavy I over built it roughley 100 lbs 2x4 x1/4 wall tubeing or Ican take it off  
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Crusarius

Need to just put a pulley on the deck and use the winch to pick it back up.

kelLOGg

If I added arch-loading capability to my trailer I would want to be able to control the descent of the arch to the bed without having to manually lower 100+ lbs. I don't know how to do that safely so I will probably stick with parbuckling only. The arch would also rarely be removed from the trailer so the design would pretty much keep it out of the way for parbucklig and non-logging related usage. I think that part is pretty much doable on my trailer.

(BTW, when I see pix and videos of arch-loaders in operation I never see how the arch gets up from its resting position before the log loading starts.) 
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

goose63

KelLOG IF I dont have to far I just let it hang from the two cables you see in the picture
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Thank You Sponsors!