iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cottonwood girdling

Started by IL80, January 17, 2015, 12:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IL80

I have about 10 acres of lowland that is quite populated with cottonwoods. These trees are averaging 15-20" dbh and are shading out some areas of oak timber and also the lowland that I want to grow up into cover for wildlife. My question is, will the "double girdle" method of ringing these trees actually kill them? These are growing fast and I don't want them to get huge. I did pick up some tordon but hate dealing with that stuff. Any advice would be great... Thanks!

mesquite buckeye

Tordon works, but try to spill as little as possible as it is soil active...
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

IL80

Okay, thanks! I'm hoping that by girdling the tree twice, I won't need to apply any chemicals. I've read that this works, any thoughts? Hopefully this applies to large cottonwoods too!

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

ChrisIsThis

Double girdling will kill cottonwood. It might not be 100% effective and it might take your trees 2-3 years to die completely. Girdling without herbicide is most effective in the growing season. Cottonwood might re-sprout from the stumps too, but since this is crop tree release and you have a number of years before harvesting don't worry about sprouting. The shade from the other trees should shade out the sprouts. If you're going to be doing this in the winter then you might want to use some herbicide. Tordon is very effective, but with some potential for off target damage or mortality. Glyphosate (active ingredient in Roundup) is also effective without potential off target effect.
The larger the island of knowledge; the longer the coast of mystery.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!