iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

$5,000-8,000 Best Value Bandsaw Mill

Started by Mcgeezer, November 25, 2017, 01:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mcgeezer

In my budget, what is everyone's experiences/opinions?
There are a few mills in this pricing range to choose from...

ladylake

Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

rjwoelk

What is it you want to do. Stationary your own trees. Mostly hobby work. Lt15 would do a nice job.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Resonator

My first mill was a used Woodland Mills HM126, which proved to be a good basic sawmill that was easy to repair / maintain. When I ordered parts the staff was helpful and it was only a couple days for delivery. I see now they have sawmill and trailer packages (some assembly required) that would be in your price range.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

VTwoodworker

I would look for a used LT30 or LT28.  These should be in your price range. 

etroup10

NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

starmac

If I was looking for a new one, I would try and see some of them close enough to see in person. Check out how sturdy they are builts and how heavy.
Your talking entry level, so there is a better than average chance you will want to trade up at some point, so I would also consider the resale on the different machines.
I would also consider the factory add ons, you can get for the mill, I know some has power feed, etc you can add on later.

Now all that said, which helps you none at all, unless I was in a big hurry, I would watch the used markets, estate auctions, etc. You have to have cash in hand usually, but there are some good deals to be had, I have seen mills sell that were never been used.

I don't see the swing mills used as readily, but for what you are describing what you want to do, and how you want to start out, I would sure give them a look.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Brad_bb

You haven't said what you want to do, but a stationary LT15 would be in that range.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

47sawdust

I paid 8k for a used 1997 LT30 back in 2010.It had less than 300 hours.There are very good used mills out there.When I purchased mine the owner was upgrading to a new LT35 hyd.
The LT30 has since had hydraulics added and has been a great mill.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

opticsguy

Timber King 1220     Very very happy with this excellent manual machine!!!!!!!!!! 
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

hopm

Look with upgrade in mind......
I have a small Baker and am starting to think about upgrade......I think I want to stay manual. I really like the capacity of the EZ boardwalk. No bells and whistles....from all accounts just gets the job done.....AND......you gotta appreciate working with Stanton. Just got a sharpener from him, based on that dealing, he would be great product backing for anything you might need or questions to be answered.

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Banjo picker

Get one that you can add on to the length and possibly cut long beams should you develop the need.  Several on this forum have manual mills that they use in this way.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

dgdrls

Assess what you plan to cut and where you plan to do it.
I recall you have timber rights in Western Canada,
so do not discount the benefits of being able to tow your mill.
Its easier and less expensive to haul the mill to the logs than vice-versa

I would also suggest you look to "local" mill builders in Canada.

and https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,10434.msg142403.html#msg142403

D

rasman57

I did a lot of research and for me it was the Boardwalk 40.  I am a hobby sawyer and have bigger midwest oak and ash logs in the 24-36 inch range so I wanted a mill that would easily handle the size and weight.   They are well thought out and easy to use.  Made with good quality basic engineering by a nice small group of folks in Missouri.

hopm

rasman57.....did you get the ez boardwalk sharpener or go another route?

Skipper11A

EZ Boardwalk 40.  Get the trailer package for another $600 which includes a log loader/turner winch that works really well.  I don't know what you'll upgrade to because you'll get spoiled with the 40" capacity.  So, for $8,150 you'll get a 40" manual mill, which is also its own trailer, and a log loader/turner.  You're not going to beat that value!

Momatt

I really like my ez boardwalk 40. I have experience with brothers mill which is an lt15 woodmizer. Both good mills I went with ez 40 and do not regret my choice.

rasman57

Quote from: hopm on November 26, 2017, 02:02:00 PM
rasman57.....did you get the ez boardwalk sharpener or go another route?
No I do not cut enough as a hobby to need it. 

Thank You Sponsors!