iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Taco pump

Started by Ivan49, February 21, 2015, 11:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivan49

When my OWB furance was installed a Taco 007 pump was put on it. It did a good job in cold weather. A month or so ago It went back so I replaced it with another 007 pump. Since then I have bled the air from the system and the pump just does not do a good job. My furnace temp is up where it should be but the house just does not warm up when the temps go below zero. I am thinking of replacing it with a Taco 0015 pump. I have appox 50 foot of 1 inch line to the house and it has to go up 10 foot. There is 2 90 degee elbows in each line. Will this pump do a better job than the 007. Thanks Ivan 

beenthere

QuoteA month or so ago It went back so I replaced it with another

Went bad?  ??

I'd say you need to get rid of any air. Just my guess that it is air, and not the pump. 

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

I would not replace one that much bigger,IF it was working ok before.  I had 013 on mine,I went through 2 in one heating seasons. Seem like the water was coming back to the pump at a good speed still and hitting the fins and making it spin faster than what it should. I dropped down to a 007 and have not replaced one since. Mine lines are about 30 feet from the house. You MIGHT have better luck with 009,but I am only guessing. If it was working ok before the change,than something else is wrong.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Holmes

I believe the 0015 is a new 3 speed pump  and replaces the 007 008 and  009/ 006? .  I would set it at the 008 or higher capacity.  Looks like they make it as a 1 speed also.  It should work fine.  Make sure the motor is not mounted in the upright position.
Think like a farmer.

r.man

If that size worked before look for another problem. Did the pump fail or did you think it failed? Was the problem before the same as now? Check for partially closed valves or kinks in lines. Also check that any bypass valves are fully closed. Low water in the stove will also cause the problem you are describing.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Dave Shepard

Whatever pump you use, make sure the lines can handle it. I have been researching Taco pumps, as I have a problem when it gets down to -10, I can't maintain temp in the house. An 007 is rated to 20 gpm, and the 009 is only 8 gpm, but with a much higher head. An 011 is a good pump to upgrade to from an 007, as it has 28 gpm, but is still a higher head pump, if I remember correctly. I'm a little bit baffled by my system, as I can maintain high temps at the heat exchanger on the 009 (OWB) side, but loose it on the 007 (house) side, even though the 007 moves more water.

I agree that if the 007 was doing the job before, then a new one should do the same job.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ivan49

The dealer called me this morning and told me to try a new cartiage. I went over and he gave me one so I will try that and see how it works out. If the weather would only warm up so the wind chill would go up. And of course the wind comes from the west and guess which end the pump is on :D. Thanks for all the replys

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Gearbox

I set mine up with a 007 and had a problem geting it to start the flow to the radiator that is about4 feet above the top of the OWB . after a 2nd go around of not getting flow I went to an 011 . No more flow problems in3 years .  Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

bandmiller2

Ivan, be sure your Taco is pumping in the right direction, check the arrow on the casting. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

r.man

That's a good thought Frank, I should have included that in my list but I didn't think of it.

Ivan49

I think maybe it is fixed. I put the new cartage on this afternoon and right now it is -14 and the house is at 74. See what its like in the morning as the temp is suppose to be -20. The impeller on the old new motor looks different than the one I put on so I will see

bandmiller2

Those little Tacos are water lubricated critters sometimes sitting unused over the summer they will seize. Its easy to tell (if you have several zones) as the case will feel hotter than the others. I have found if you take the cartridge out and carefully warm it up with a burnsomatic  tourch you can free it up and put it back in service. Best to run the circulators briefly during the off season. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ivan49

Quote from: bandmiller2 on February 23, 2015, 08:02:07 AM
Those little Tacos are water lubricated critters sometimes sitting unused over the summer they will seize. Its easy to tell (if you have several zones) as the case will feel hotter than the others. I have found if you take the cartridge out and carefully warm it up with a burnsomatic  tourch you can free it up and put it back in service. Best to run the circulators briefly during the off season. Frank C.
Mine runs year around. I think it is fixed. It got down to *29 last night and I had a temp drop in the house of 2 degrees. Thanks for all the help

r.man

So you think the part was defective?

Ivan49

Quote from: r.man on February 23, 2015, 09:39:33 AM
So you think the part was defective?
Yes I think it was either the motor or the impeller on the motor

Engineer

To the OP - your situation is similar to one I went through a couple of years back.  I have Taco 007 circulator pumps in the house, but a Taco 0010 on the boiler.  I have to go about 85 feet through 1" line, with almost no change in elevation.  I lost one pump (and those little 8!@#%^&* are expensive!) before I found out that STEAM will kill the impeller dead.  Seizes 'em right up solid.  I also let the water level get too low once and lost the other because it ran dry.  Now I make sure that my water jacket always stays full and I lower the setpoint in the summer.  Like you, I run year round. 

Pumps are sized to the application, so changing out model numbers (especially with small-HP pumps that are sensitive to even minor changes in head loss and flow rate) will mess you up.  In a case like yours (as you found out), it's usually a component of the pump that dies.

I also echo one recommendation to consider Grundfos pump.  They seem to be more reliable than the Taco.  The facility I work in uses many of both brands (as well as Bell & Gossett) and we tend to replace Taco with Grundfos when the Tacos die.

LittleJohn

Quote from: Corley5 on February 22, 2015, 01:28:27 PM
Go to a Grundfos  ;) :)
This is the boat I am in TEAM RED

...but I am also very interested in the Bumble Bee, by Taco; not sure if it meet your requirements, but it can be set to adjust the pump to maintain a delta across the pump, VERY INTERESTING

r.man

Engineer, does your line run to a basement? My pump is in the basement at a lower elevation than my stove so I have no priming problems and if I need to check or work on the pump it is in a warm area. I would think that mine is out of danger of steam as well. Possibly has contributed to its 15+ years age.

Ivan49

Quote from: r.man on February 27, 2015, 12:34:39 PM
Engineer, does your line run to a basement? My pump is in the basement at a lower elevation than my stove so I have no priming problems and if I need to check or work on the pump it is in a warm area. I would think that mine is out of danger of steam as well. Possibly has contributed to its 15+ years age.

Maybe a dumb question but how would steam get into your pump. Wouldn't your water level have to be below the outlet line for this to happen? I have a work in progress( for the last ten years) of hooking up my workshop to the furnace. Seems to be everytime I feel like doing some thing with it I have other things to do. Well I think this summer is the time to finish. The lines have been several years and plugged on the ends. I have about 100 foot of line to push the water thru. When I buy a pump for this how do I tell what size to get and what is the advantage of a 3 speed pump? Thanks Ivan

jcmc

A few years ago I was not getting any heat from my OWB. The taco 007 was running but not moving water after further investigation I found that the Impeller was missing the fins  I replaced the impeller and everything has been fine ever since.

Thank You Sponsors!