iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

restoration project

Started by hackberry jake, July 28, 2014, 11:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I found a jointer on craigslist that was over 100 years old for $140. I already have a good jointer, but I couldnt pass up on a tool that likely made airplane parts for WWI. 1911 hall and brown 12" #1 jointer. It was equipped with a hall and brown round safety head in 1918.
Before picture as I found it. Its not sitting on the bucket, it is on cinder blocks.

Tables loaded up in the truck. There was a little rust.

Main casting stripped down and machined areas masked off ready for paint.

How it sits currently

It has worn out babbitt bearings and i was originally going to replace them with pillow block bearings, but I think it would lose some of its nostalgia. I just dropped the cutterhead off at a machine shop today to have the journals smoothed up for fresh babbitt. It has taken longer to restore than I was anticipating but I think it will be worth it in the end. I was going to fix it up and sell it, but I'm starting to grow attached to the old girl.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

yukon cornelius

that thing is awesome! you find the coolest stuff!! if you need a place to store it I could make some room in my shop ;D
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

blakjak220

really nice project!!... I've never done a restoration like that but I'm pretty good with mechanical stuff. I've got a fair amount of tools but not any metal working equipment (I'm a woodworker)... There's an old Crescent 12" Jointer with babbitt bearings that's close to me for sale and I've been contemplating buying it and taking my time restoring it. It doesn't have a motor and they're asking too much ($500) but it's been on there a long time so I was thinking of throwing them an offer and seeing what happens.

Got any advice on tools I would absolutely have to have and other things that might steer me into getting it or not? I'd really like to do it I just don't have an idea of what all is involved.... Thanks for any help you can give me

beenthere

blakjak220

She's a beauty, and someone is going to have one nice solid 12" jointer for little coin.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

21incher

It has such a beautiful cast iron stand. I have seen a few like that on my local craigslist recently, but don't know how to replace the Babbitt bearings. Please share how you redo the bearings on this project when you get to that point . :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

hackberry jake

The only tools I have used so far is an 18v dewalt drill with a wire brush cup in it, sand paper, a razorblade scraper, and an engine hoist. I havent gotten to the bearings yet. Is seems pretty easy though. You heat up babbitt to about 700 degrees f, heat the shaft and lower bearing support up to about 250, and pour in the lower bearing. Let it cool and put the upper bearing cap on with some thin shims under it. You then pour the upper bearing the same way you did the lower bearing. Roll the shaft in the bearings and you will be able to see any high spots. You scrap down the high spots until at least 3/4 of the shaft is in contact with the babbitt. Thats what I have so far. Wish me luck!

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Texas Ranger

21. there is a slice of cake with a cherry on top next to your post, must mean  you have a birthday, so happy day.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

blakjak220

That doesn't sound too bad... thanks for the feedback. I may go take a look at that thing and see if I can get a decent deal on it...
good luck with the bearings and make sure you let us know how it goes!

MattJ

Every time I see a new post it's like that batman movie quote "where does he find all these wonderful toys!"  I scan all over and never find a wide jointer in our area.  That is really cool.

rasman57

Impressive restoration work!   Nice save of a vintage piece..... and you are gonna tackle the old bearing pour too!    How cool!     Thanks for showing.

clww

Great old iron restoration project, Jake. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

samandothers

How is it or how will it be powered?

rooster 58

Is that a jointer or an aircraft carrier    :-\          air_plane

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: rooster 58 on August 03, 2014, 10:40:37 AM
Is that a jointer or an aircraft carrier    :-\          air_plane

smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

hackberry jake

Quote from: samandothers on August 03, 2014, 10:13:55 AM
How is it or how will it be powered?
I have a 5hp 240v single phase motor ordered I will power it with via a couple belts and pulleys.

mesquite buckeye

Babbit bearings can be recast. The big trick is getting everything lined up right.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

tractorman44

Quote from: hackberry jake on July 30, 2014, 02:51:12 PM
You heat up babbitt to about 700 degrees f, heat the shaft and lower bearing support up to about 250, and pour in the lower bearing. Let it cool and put the upper bearing cap on with some thin shims under it. You then pour the upper bearing the same way you did the lower bearing. Roll the shaft in the bearings and you will be able to see any high spots. You scrap down the high spots until at least 3/4 of the shaft is in contact with the babbitt. Thats what I have so far. Wish me luck!

A little tip on pouring the babbit from an old timer (not me).... to avoid any  possibility of the some of the babbit sticking to the shaft during the pour, use a carbonizing flame and coat the shaft with carbon just prior.  Not super thick and flaky, just a good coating. 

The carbonizing flame is attained by use of an oxy/acetylene torch with the adjustment almost full acetylene.  And I think he recommended a complete "one time" pour with the upper and lower bearing halves in place, the shaft supported securely and accurately positioned center and square to the bed where it should ride. 

Machinists have the very accurate fine threaded miniature house jacks that could possibly be used to support the shaft on the bed.  Dunno, never did it and it may not even be possible.  I'm trying to remember what he said to use for dam material at the ends of the bearing halves to keep the babbit from just running out.... I'll ask my SIL if he remembers and post back.

tractorman44

I was wrong, you's s'posed to make it in two pours.  The damming material is "babbitrite" also referred to as "casting retainer putty".  Try McMaster Carr.  Another brand is "Deacon Mold Pac" which is a replacement for babbitrite.

Do the carbon thing and pour the lowers.  Install a few thousanths shims between the bearing halves, not around the shaft, pour the uppers and let cool for an hour or so before proceeding.  The shims are for removal down the road after the bearings attain a bit of wear.

Kudo's to my SIL for his photographic memory...mine, not so much.  Good luck and wow what a nice old machine you have there.  I just picked up an old Hall and Brown 24" planer.  They were manufactured in St Louis Mo.

Thank You Sponsors!