iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

have cash, will chisel

Started by ckprivette, September 25, 2014, 09:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ckprivette

howdy y'all,

I find myself in the unusual position of having money available for buying tools. I'm going to start my TF shed this fall (my first TF project), so I'm going to buy some chisels: 1.5", 2", and a 3" slick. I prefer new ones to avoid the pig-in-a-poke issue. From looking at past forum posts and websites it appears I can't go wrong with Barr, Sorby, or Autine. Am I right? Are there others to consider? Anything else I need to know before clicking "submit"?

Many thanks!

chris
The Lord is my shepherd.

dukndog

Check out the "For Sale" link on this forum and reach out to Jim Rogers. His tools are the best, come with good handles and are sharp enough to shave with. The price is right and it helps the Forestry Forum!!!

Rich Miller
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

Brian_Weekley

I have a set of Sorby framing chisels.  However, one thing to note is that these are "tang" type chisels rather than "socket" type chisels.  They are good quality and I've been happy with them, but some people prefer the socket type handles.

Depending on who you ask, "John Neeman Tools" is the true issue vs. "Autine Tools".  You can read this and decide for yourself...

http://www.neemantools.com/en/about-us/story

Finally, Barr chisels are made in the USA.

I also agree with checking Jim Roger's inventory of used chisels.  He won't steer you wrong.

e aho laula

Roger Nair

Personally I believe that Barr chisels are better than the Sorby and Henry Taylor framing chisels from the UK.  Buying vintage tools can be a roller coaster but if you purchase from a dealer that will stand behind their wares then you just might find tools that are every way equal or better than Barr.  Old cast steel is the easiest steel to get to a durable razor edge.  For myself, I have not purchased super premium tools like John Neeman Company but I respect their reputation, I would however avoid the undercutting of Autine.

An optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds, the pessimist fears that the optimist is correct.--James Branch Cabell

Dave Shepard

If buying new, I would go with Barr. Excellent quality, but I don't like model interpretations of framing chisels. I saw a set of Autine chisels and slicks last fall. Didn't care for them, a bit crude, and didn't really do antique framing chisels justice. Why try to copy the old tools, but fall short at the last minute? I'm not sure who to believe in the John Neeman/Autine debate. If buying an old chisel I would demand a file test of the cutting edge. I've gotten several old chisels that looked absolutely perfect, but could not hold an edge due to soft steel. If you can mark the tool steel on an old laminated chisel with a file, then it's too soft. Diamond files excluded.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Brad_bb

Not sure why you are discounting antique chisels.  Get known brands, and you'll be fine- TH Witherby(I started out with one and collected all TH Witherbys), Barton, Buck, Swan....etc.  I bought all of mine off ebay over time.  That was before I met Jim Rogers.  I've bought other tools from him.   You will get a good tool and a sharp tool from him.  Check with Jim Rogers via the For Sale section.  Don't be afraid of antiques, especially from him.   They have more character too.  Make sure to get sheaths for all of your tools.  Like my friend Rooster says, "A tool should only touch 3 things, you hands, the wood, or the sheath."  When not in you hands, always put the sheath on.  Otherwise it will end up falling to the ground and landing edge first on concrete or a rock and chipping.  I've done it and leaned my lesson.  I hate having to remove a good size chip from a chisel!! 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Roger Nair

There are a number of brands that I trust besides the brands mentioned by Brad,  look for White, Underhill, Douglass, Beatty, S & W, P S & W and Pexto (the last three are the same company in different stages)   I have chisels from others as well names and no-names.  My success rate for quality from online bidding and flea markets has been good, so a few failures for low priced goods is part of the process but considered as a whole buying old tools has been a winner.
An optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds, the pessimist fears that the optimist is correct.--James Branch Cabell

flyingparks

Barr has always worked well for me. They are great tools at a reasonable price. I also hear that he is a master swordsman. :o

danreed76

Barr chisels have served me well thus far, as well as several vintage tools from various sources.  It's worth noting, though, that vintage tools have often not been treated well, and it may not be obvious.  As Dave said, ask for a file test with any used tool (modern or vintage... a bench grinder can do wonders on a previously hardened blade).  I have a few tools courtesy of ebay and flea markets which will ultimately end up as decorations.

If you're going to buy new, I'd say Barr tools hands down.  Excellent quality and consistency.
Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

scsmith42

I'll jump on the Jim Roger's bandwagon.  I have several tools that I've purchased from him and have been very pleased.

What part of NC are you in?

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

ckprivette

Thanks everyone!

Scott, I'm in the Northwest corner of NC- a little place called North Wilkesboro.

chris
The Lord is my shepherd.

scsmith42

Quote from: ckprivette on September 29, 2014, 02:20:57 PM
Thanks everyone!

Scott, I'm in the Northwest corner of NC- a little place called North Wilkesboro.

chris

Pretty country up there! 
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!