iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Suggestions/tips on buying a mulcher.

Started by Ozarkian, January 22, 2012, 11:46:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ozarkian

I am going to be looking for a good used mulcher to turn Eastern Red Cedar branches to mulch for my own use.  I have been gathering plenty of logs off of some property nearby and the branches are piling up fast. 

I do not want to spend very much, but I do not want to go cheap and buy something that will not handle my needs. 

I would like to know what you guys have used/still use.  I will be using the cedar mulch for my gardens and other uses that may come up.  We usually purchase several full size truck and trailer's full of mulch each year from a recycling place of mixed variety for cheap. 

I will include a picture of what a portion of my branch accumulation so far.

Now, some of the bigger branches I will attempt to incorporate into furniture or crafts.  But the majority of smaller branches (i.e. under 3"-5") I would like to turn to mulch.

I am getting a Sawmill, so I don't forsee the branches to stop piling up...  Please, any suggestions will help.  Thanks!

13h.p. EZ Boardwalk JR.

Ironwood

"mulcher"???? Hm, not sure what that means, Chipper?, or Grinder (as in Tub=$), or a low tech PTO unit for behind a tractor? Had a PTO unit and a 8HP garden unit with "flail" style thingys (not really blades), both were JUNK. Real equipment costs money. I almost bought a classic old 6 cylinder Ford powered drum chipper for $1000 a few years back, needed some work, but was all there.

I dunno what to tell you, I do know, anything but REAL equipment will likely NOT do what you envision.

Clarify please.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

jdonovan

Quote from: Ozarkian on January 22, 2012, 11:46:42 AM
I do not want to spend very much, but I do not want to go cheap and buy something that will not handle my needs. 

What do you mean by not spend very much?  If you mean less than a few thousand dollars, you'll be getting a manual feed home depot/lowes/troy-bilt unit.

bill m

It would take me about 30 minutes to chip that load of brush in those pictures so unless you can produce at least 5 times that amount every day I don't think it would pay for you buy a machine to do it yourself.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

thecfarm

I just go buy whatever mulch I need. I have the trees to make my own,but don't have the money of feel like working that much more. A chipper,a good one,that would work fast and easy is pricey and the teeth,blades have to be maintained too. I just cut my branches up small,2-3 feet long,run the chainsaw up and down the branches too. This gets the brush on the ground so it will rot. I know cedar won't rot for years,but this way it will still be on the ground.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Cedarman

One of the happiest days of my life was when someone bought my PTO powered chipper.  Just not productive. As suggested find a primary maker of good mulch and buy a pickup of bulk mulch.  We sell cedar mulch for $50.00 per pickup.
Your idea of using limbs for crafts and rustic items will make more than making mulch.  IMHO leave the limbs in the woods if possible.
I think your investigation of the possibilities of using your resources is very good.  You will find some things worth doing and others not good. 
We have sold quite a few crooked cedar limbs for 3 and 4$ each to companies that are making big architechtural lprojects.

When you get your mill you could slice small 2 to 3" straight poles length wise and make a stockade fence. 
I can fill a page single spaced with all the things that can be done with cedar .  some reqire a sawmill, some don't.
Ozarkian, I started out in 83 with a 6700 dollar manual WM and a tractor  with a 3pt hitch boom.
It was not easy by any means.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Brokermike

Pile them all up facing the same direction and rent a 12" hydraulic feed chipper for a weekend.

Trust me you do not want the maintenance, or the cost of owning a chipper big enough to do what you need to do
Don't Jersey Vermont

okmulch

Just for fun,      :) this is what I use to make mulch.

I know this is not what your looking for, but just remember you are wanting to take large material and run it through a machine to make small material, so going too cheap will only cost you more in the long run.

Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

Bobus2003

I got one of these:

1999 Morbark 10" chipper, 4bt Cummins.. paid 11K for it 4 years ago

beenthere

okmulch
I like the two basketball players in the picture for some size perspective. What are they, 6'6" and about 5'10" ?

;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

okmulch

Beenthere, I even made them take their shoes off. :D
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

MHineman

I saw an inexpensive PTO chipper at Rural King a while back and thought I wanted one.  It sells for $1,500.  I had a custom sawmill job last fall and the Doctor I was working for had a Wallenstein chipper.  It did a nice job with the bark covered slabs off the mill as well as trees out of the fence line.

The Wallenstein cost him about $5,500, but was a world better machine.  It has 2 hydralic motors to run the power feed and was heavy duty overall.

The Rural King model has a V belt to drive the power feed.  I talked to a guy that has one and he said the belt not only doesn't hold up well since it is undersized, but is a pain to replace and adjust.

1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

Thank You Sponsors!