iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dovetail jig for log

Started by Jean, June 03, 2018, 03:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jean

Hello, i am Jean. I am french and i live in Auvergne. I wanted to build a "Mazot Savoyard" with technique "Queue d'aronde" , see the photo.

But it is difficult for me without a dovetail jig. It is a tool very well. But i wanted to made one. Can you help me ?
Sorry but my english is bad.

Brian_Weekley

Jean, welcome to the forum.  The picture you provided shows a full dovetail joint.  The problem with that is water can seep into this type of joint.  Instead, consider a 1/2 dovetail joint (see link below).  Look at how the angles on this joint all face down to shed water away from the joint.

square hewn log notching..... in Timber Framing/Log construction

e aho laula

D L Bahler

If you are building a Mazot Savoyard, I assume you will be going with the typical large roof overhang. If that is so, then this joint is fine to use. Brian's concern about water seeping into the joint is more important with american style cabins with minimal overhangs. 

This building is closely related to the Swiss Alphütte or the Alpine Chalet of Romandie 

To make such a template would not be so difficult, but you have to know a few things first:

What are the sizes of the logs being used? and Are they all the same? The size and location of the joint must change to match all three logs in a single connection point. 

Thank You Sponsors!