iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Changes in NHLA grading rules for Walnut?

Started by BBTom, July 18, 2011, 10:56:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBTom

I have a 2003 NHLA rules book, but don't know if any changes have been made since then.

Does anybody know if there have been changes in Walnut, and what was changed?   

I have close to 6 -7MBF to saw up and don't want to lose a bunch of grade due to rules change. 

Thanks,
Tom
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Ron Wenrich

Here's the 2007 rules book:

http://www.nhla.com/pdf/2007_Rules.pdf

I don't know if there's been any rule changes for any of the woods.  Inspectorwoody would have the answer.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Larry

I'm still using the 03 book also.  NHLA used to have a single sheet of paper WALNUT GRADING RULES that made it a bit simpler.  Might give them a call and ask em to fax ya a copy.

And make sure ya count the knots on the shorts. :D

If they made any changes let us know.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

inspectorwoody

As far as I know, they have not made any rule changes to Walnut. I checked my 2011 rule book to make sure.

There was some proposed in the last round of changes but they were shot down.

I can get you a copy of the chart that has the rules if you pm your email or maybe I'll figure out a way to attach it here.  :-\

For me, the chart is easier to understand.

I enjoy grading Walnut as the rules are more relaxed so to speak.

WH_Conley

Guess I been out of the grading loop too long Woody. What is the chart? When I was doing it you had to use the book and cipher it out. My grading now is highly informal.
Bill

inspectorwoody

It lists the rules in a table like format.

Takes the "meat" out of the all the wording.

Plain english.  :D

I'll get it scanned and attached.

BBTom

Thanks to all,  I was hoping I didn't have to relearn everything. 

I am having enough problems trying to get grade out of these 3 year old logs with sweat dripping in my eyes.   Dang, but it is miserable hot out there.  I just sent $350 to get my laser rebuilt, so I cannot afford any new fans this week. 

Don't Ya just love it when a good plan comes together?    smiley_whacko

Would like to see that sheet Woody, just to see if I built my sheet right. 
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Kansas

Yeah, the proposed rule changes got defeated a few years ago. Got asked by a walnut company to send a letter opposing the changes. All I remember it had to do with dropping grade on shorter lumber, I believe.

That being said, you might want to make sure who you are selling to, and what their rules are. Used to be 6 ft logs were fine. Now one guy that cuts for the market says he has a bad time selling short stuff.  I know walnut log buyers are very hard on 6 ft logs, at least in this area. I actually have been buying 6 and 7 ft walnut F1S quite a bit cheaper and retailing it out compared to 8 ft and longer. Think the market is tough enough that a lot of buyers basically make their own rules.

Ron Wenrich

I have a few buyers that won't buy lumber shorter than 6'.  It doesn't matter if they're clear.  I think a lot of this short lumber stuff has to do with the automatic stackers.  At least, that's my theory. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

inspectorwoody

Chart should be attached if I did it right.  :D

beenthere

That pdf worked well :)

The cutting size penciled in under #1 Common, is that 4x2 and 5x3 ?  Maybe 3x3?

Thanks 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

inspectorwoody

4x2 or 3x3

Minimum size cuttings for 1com.

We just finished a run of Walnut this morning.

We have been cutting some sap free 6/4 that they cut up into 3.5"Wx38"L pieces to be shipped overseas.

Not sure what it will be used for. We have been cutting the same out of 5/4 W.Oak

Thank You Sponsors!