iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sealing the ends of logs?

Started by markkelly, February 24, 2015, 06:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markkelly

What is the best to seal the end of the logs with?  I have seen some waxes that have been used.  I seen paint does it matter if it is a latex, oil based, a basic prime. 

Thanks Much for any advice. 8) 8) 8)
LT 10 Woodmizer, Stihl, Husquvana,wood carving tools, Ford 3000 Tractor, Trailer.

Nomad

Forget the paint.  AnchorSeal© all the way.  The original, not Anchorseal2.  Head and shoulders better than any paint you can come up with.  Paint is better than nothing, but most paint is not much better.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

learner

Welcome to the forum markkelly.  A very good question.  I use anchor seal on my premium logs.  Those that will yield high quality boards.  Otherwise plain white water based latex paint will work.  You need to remember one thing though.  It only works well on logs that still have their bark and are kept off the ground and will be sawn fairly soon.  I use cheaper older logs for stacking my good logs on.  It keeps them off the wet ground and makes it easier to pick them up with the loader.  If the bark is removed then you need to keep the logs out of the direct sunlight.  It will cause the logs to crack down their entire length.  You may also need to water them down from time to time.  Logs are usually debarked JUST before sawing or kept in a water pond until sawn.  I had a man bring me some oak logs he end coated with white latex paint and had removed the bark from.  Sadly though he didn't protect them from the direct sunlight and 90% of them were full of splits.  He did his research but unfortunately didn't know about protecting them from the sunlight and weather before they were sawn.  You might also bear in mind that logs WILL decay faster with the bark on if NOT kept protected from wet weather and allowed good ventilation.  You will have problems with bugs, mold and mildew in your logs if they are exposed to wet environments.  Especially if they don't have good airflow!  On another note; you will need to clean and sticker stack the sawn boards if they won't be picked up soon after sawing.  Otherwise the dust in between the sawn boards will attract and retain moisture.  This is especially true during the warmer months of the year and it doesn't matter if it's a hard wood or soft wood.  They WILL mold and mildew.  Hope this helps.
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

BCsaw

I use an end grain sealer from Lee Valley for really good logs and timbers.

I use paint for general use. I found 2 coats works better. I just buy whatever is cheap.......miss tints, etc.
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

learner

good point BC, two coats are better than one.  the log just soaks up the first coat. that and being in Canada, two coats are really better than one.   ;D
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

YellowHammer

When it matters, I use Anchorseal.  If it doesn't matter I don't use anything ;D
We are sealing walnut logs here, a pretty expensive whack, and I wouldn't buck them to length without a bucket of the good stuff.
YH

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

YellowHammer, I see logs being sealed there, but even looking hard don't see the "we"... :D :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

Quote from: Southside logger on February 24, 2015, 10:52:30 PM
YellowHammer, I see logs being sealed there, but even looking hard don't see the "we"... :D :D
Somebody's got to do the hard work and hold the camera to take the picture.   ;D
Mrs Yellowhammer is so fast at sealing logs, it sometimes looks like she can be in three places at the same time!
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

WDH

It must be nice to have a Professional End Sealer  ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

terrifictimbersllc

Looks like he's got one as long as he stays behind the camera :) :)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

The official FF end sealer.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

terrifictimbersllc

Even with the smile doubt he could get the anchor seal and brush past security.  :)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

customsawyer

Danny you missed a spot over there. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

YellowHammer

Who's holding the camera on that picture?  I see a shadow but can't make it out, but whoever it is, we ought to team up and go into "management." :D
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Magicman

But I left management to go into sawing.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

I have sealed a few ends in my time.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: WDH on February 25, 2015, 08:28:29 PM
I have sealed a few ends in my time.

Watch out, this is a family friendly site!

:) :) :) :) :)

Herb

Thank You Sponsors!